Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
The Angry Net Man - A Fishing Confession - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 02-26-2020, 07:22 AM
Keeper

Default The Angry Net Man - A Fishing Confession

Was out with the guys in my group to discuss a few things for our upcoming trip to Miniss Lake (in August but a good excuse for beers and wings)

As always we spent a good amount of time reliving past trips and ripping into each other.

One thread that kept coming up for me is the way I get when a fish is on the line and it spawned a new post

https://www.northernjacks.com/post/the-angry-net-man

Thanks in advance for the read and would love to hear about anyone else's fishing challenges
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2020, 08:48 AM
Minnow

Great blog Drew, you definitely get amped up when the fish approach the boat. You definitely don't want me as your net guy I'm pretty tragic.

Willie
Old 02-26-2020, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

brings up a good point. we take rookies along to Canada and expect everyone knows how to react with a big fish on the line.

I've been thinking about nettin' practice. Practice using a dock buoy. Have one end of the buoy tied on with yellow rope (the head). Throw it out and bring it back in. Coach your rookie to net it from the yellow rope side and not the back end. Teaching them not to stab at it.

I'm certain I'd get razzed by my crew for being such a dork wanting to practice netting a fish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2020, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

Great read, thanks for sharing.

HRG
Old 02-26-2020, 09:45 AM
Minnow

Default The Angry Net Man

This has happened. If you are going to use a camp supplied net, make sure there are no tears or holes in the net before you leave the dock. Over the years some nice fish have been lost due to a bad net.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:54 AM
Wallhanger

Funny stuff and I can relate. Need the net? I'm on it!! I expect the same when I need the net...doesn't always happen.
Old 02-26-2020, 12:40 PM
Slot Fish

On my first fly-in to Canada, I caught my first trophy pike on literally my last cast of the trip (I estimate it was between 40”-45” and >20#), which was great, except the only net we brought had to be cut to free a pike that my friend caught the day before. I ended up having to do a boat-side release, which was rather anticlimactic. Needless to say, we brought 2 nets on the next trip.
Old 02-26-2020, 03:05 PM
Wallhanger

Haha great read Drew, and I thought I was the only one like that
9.9hp Tohatsu kicker
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 lithium batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
3 12" graphs- Lowrance Live,Carbon and Simrad EVO 3
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 trimtabs
Traxstech 72" tracks, Berts 24" tracks on each gunnel
2 Big Jon Capt packs riggers
Lowrance autopilot
MK 15' Talon
Old 02-27-2020, 05:50 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
On my first fly-in to Canada, I caught my first trophy pike
When my boat is in Canada - it always has 2 nets - a nice "rubber" net for the walleyes and a large net for the northerns/muskies.

That rubber net is great for the walleyes - makes it much easier to handle them - it just wouldn't handle the larger pike............. Like Mikey says -"try it - you'll like it" .........
Old 02-27-2020, 06:42 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv4fish View Post

When my boat is in Canada - it always has 2 nets - a nice "rubber" net for the walleyes and a large net for the northerns/muskies.

That rubber net is great for the walleyes - makes it much easier to handle them - it just wouldn't handle the larger pike............. Like Mikey says -"try it - you'll like it" .........[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
Those rubber-coated nets are nice. Funny enough, the one we had was like that, but my friend is a spaz and brought his one big pike in too green, and it just wrapped itself up so bad that he had to cut the net. You have to tire those big ones out a little! Smh