Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Boreal Forest Outfitters (Melchett lake vs Kayedon lake) - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 02-14-2021, 06:45 AM
Minnow

Default Boreal Forest Outfitters (Melchett lake vs Kayedon lake)

Hey all 👋
I am thinking of doing a fly in outpost camp with Boreal Forest Outfitters and was kind of torn between fishing Melchett or Kayedon?

Was recommended Melchett by a super reliable source but was talking to the Outfitters said that the average size is bigger in Kayedon? (17-18" in Melchett and 19-20" in Kayedon)

Is the river usually pretty navigable to get from Kayedon to Melchett?

I appreciate any input. Thanks and tight lines everyone 🎣
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2021, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

Just a suggestion Post this on the Canada Board You will be able to look for previous answers to this question. Also more fishermen will answer you on this subject there
Old 02-16-2021, 08:30 PM
Slot Fish

Default hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvantil View Post
Hey all 👋
I am thinking of doing a fly in outpost camp with Boreal Forest Outfitters and was kind of torn between fishing Melchett or Kayedon?

Was recommended Melchett by a super reliable source but was talking to the Outfitters said that the average size is bigger in Kayedon? (17-18" in Melchett and 19-20" in Kayedon)

Is the river usually pretty navigable to get from Kayedon to Melchett?

I appreciate any input. Thanks and tight lines everyone 🎣
These two bodies of water are not connected or at least you do not boat between them. I have been to both and for what my 2 cents is worth I would go to Melchett which is attached to Kap but the size statement is true from what I remember.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2021, 04:06 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry S View Post
Just a suggestion Post this on the Canada Board You will be able to look for previous answers to this question. Also more fishermen will answer you on this subject there
I moved it...
NPAA#89
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
Vexus DVX22 Merc 400 Verado
Humminbird Helix 12s
MinnKota Terrova 112
Old 03-15-2021, 07:11 AM
Slot Fish

Two separate water systems as Zig said not connected by water.

Either are going to give you fish and really a 2 inch difference won't be noticeable in the week long trip.

Melchett-Kap-Tennant system will give you lots of water to fish and probably average size fish with a crap load of water to fish. There's always a chance at big fish in waters that size.

Kay-Ogoki is another huge system with big waters and odds are bigger fish but Ogoki is huge and can be rough if the winds are up. If you're not afraid of being adventurous and hitting big water this could give endless amount of water to fish. I would think better than average fish would roam here if you can get out to find them.

Both systems will have lots of fish right around camps on the cabin lake so either way you'll have a great trip.
Old 03-15-2021, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

Wink Nakina Trip

Two lakes you mentioned not connected. Melchett-Kap-Tennent are connected by river. More water than you can fish in a week. Melchett is a fish factory. "Eyes" plentiful with some over 20" and Northerns into the 40+" range.

If you decide to go to Melchett I have personal maps available. You must book very early to get on Melchett.
Old 03-15-2021, 08:34 AM
ol fart

Default melchett

When do you plan to go is a big question .If its later in year,late June thru October,water level in Kayedon can be an issue. The water level can get low if they have a dry spring.On Melchett you can get to Kap Lake . I have fished both Melchett,Kap,and Kayedon,also hunted Moose on them. We have caught 40 inch Pike on all of them,also 25inch Walleye. Water level is stable on Melchett on Kayedon there have been years when we could only fish the river area from the narrows above Luenbergers camp to the rapids about 3miles down stream.And Kayedon is Very Rock laden can be hard on props and lower units .
Old 03-15-2021, 10:01 AM
Slot Fish

Default Melchett is a great lake!

Went to Melchett a few years ago and we caught a ton of fish! cabin, boats outfitter(now retired) were all great. There wasn't a lot of size to the walleyes we caught but the numbers made up for that. In 4 hours Josh caught 87 and I caught 94 fish. That was mostly at the mouth of the river where it entered Melchett. Found the best sizes of walleye on our last day on rive going to Kap past the inlet leading to Tenant. I would like to go back but next year our crew has voted to go to Ara.
Old 03-15-2021, 10:16 AM
Wallhanger

I've been to Melchett, but not Kay.

Melchett average size for us in early September was 16-18, with plenty of 18-22s mixed in. Very few over 22 and only 1 at 25.. The numbers were .... endless.

If the outfitter says Kay has a higher average size, I'd take their word for it. Is catching 100 19" walleye in one day vs. 100 17" walleye a big deal for your group? If so, there's your answer.

We picked Melchett because it has access to other lakes, which offers some great adventure. But honestly the fishing is so good in Melchett you don't need to leave, unless you want to go exploring.
Old 03-15-2021, 06:08 PM
Minnow

I went to Melchett in 2018 and was one of only 2 groups to make it there again in 2020. Water levels were down and we couldn't make it into Kap or Tenent last year. I can say we caught bigger fish in 2020 with the youngest of our group getting a 26 and 28". Numbers were crazy as well. Jason and Sue are great hosts and 5 months from now I'll be back up there. Fingers are crossed so will our Neighbours to the south.