Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
15hp evinrude 2 stroke - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 07-13-2018, 10:46 AM
Minnow

Default 15hp evinrude 2 stroke

My 15hp 2stroke 25 years old approx. Always ran great. This spring it starts great runs for a minute or two and "slowly" stops. Tried new gas & a new hose. Ordered a carb kit --same thing after installing. Placed gas can above motor and pumped bulb----thinking fuel pump-----ran longer but still died slowly. Also after starting a few times it will not stay running as long. Any thoughts???? Thank You, John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2018, 08:01 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jheimsch View Post
My 15hp 2stroke 25 years old approx. Always ran great. This spring it starts great runs for a minute or two and "slowly" stops. Tried new gas & a new hose. Ordered a carb kit --same thing after installing. Placed gas can above motor and pumped bulb----thinking fuel pump-----ran longer but still died slowly. Also after starting a few times it will not stay running as long. Any thoughts???? Thank You, John
Do you notice if after it stalls that the bulb is soft?

Have you tried to continuously pump the bulb while it's running? If it stays running that way, then you know you have an issue with fuel not getting to the motor.

I'd change the bulb as they can randomly fail, check fuel lines for blockages/air leaks and check gas line filter. Maybe some fresh gas as well.
Old 07-14-2018, 08:19 AM
Wallhanger

I suggest doing what Angler1700 posts and if these don’t reveal the problem I’d suggest dropping the float bowl and see if you have a piece of crud that has broken free sitting down at the bottom of the bowl and clogging a jet- I had this happen to me with a 15 Evinrude of the same vintage as yours and it drove me crazy until I found the little piece of what looked like an old gasket. If the bowl is crud free then I’d suggest changing the fuel pump next since it sounds like you have some sort of fuel delivery issue.
Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2018, 03:58 PM
Wallhanger

Default Fuel Hose

Silly question but if your fuel line is fairly old you may have the liner starting to degrade and collapse. This happens when your burning at 87 grade fuel do to that 10% corn liquor they are putting in it.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:33 PM
Charter Member

As another post suggested, check the fuel line from the fuel line connector to the motor on the motor side of the connector.

This is the fuel line that runs to the carb.

Also, if there is an in line fuel filter on the motor side of the fuel line connector - change it as well.

Lines are inexpensive, so it makes sense to change all of the fuel lines from the fuel container to the carb.

That also includes a new squeeze bulb in the fuel line from the tank to the motor.

Good luck
Old 07-14-2018, 07:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip Silverlake View Post
Silly question but if your fuel line is fairly old you may have the liner starting to degrade and collapse. This happens when your burning at 87 grade fuel do to that 10% corn liquor they are putting in it.

I agree. Those old fuel lines will deteriorate over time on the inside, where you cant see it. I had to eventually replace the fuel line on my snowblower...it was a cheap fix.
Minn Kota Terrova
Lowrance Elite 7Ti
Cisco rod holders
Old 07-14-2018, 08:28 PM
Keeper

There was a style change in the 90's on the pump. You may prefer to replace than rebuild due to the qty of small parts. One of that era carbs had a plastic plate on top. They develop a hairline crack that plays heck with low speed running. I dont remember if it is part of the carb kit. A layer of silicone or 2 part epoxy is a temp fix to test. I recall a rubber or plastic tube as part of the throttle that deteriorates causing adjust issues too. I still have 2 of these in use.
Old 10-21-2018, 07:41 AM
Keeper

Got a grey after market fuel line ?

They come apart internally and clog fuel line connectors
Old 10-21-2018, 08:20 AM
Wallhanger

Gas can/tank vent plugged causing a vacuum in it ??