Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Lowrance HDS9 gen 3 transducer options - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 03-06-2020, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

Default Lowrance HDS9 gen 3 transducer options

Hoping someone is more familiar with the various generations of Lowrance units.

I have HDS 8 and 7 gen 1 (non touch screen, LSS1 module and trans required) and I use the puck transducer for shoot thru today.

What transducers can i use for the newer HDS 9 gen 3 touch? Will the shoot thru puck work with the sonar?

For down imaging and side scan I know I can buy the Lowrance totalscan transducer, but would the LSS2 transducer work?

Someone let me know how there Gen 3 setup is working so that I can update mine as needed.

Thanks a ton!!!!
Minn Kota Terrova #112
225 Optimax & 9.9 Mercs
Trollmaster Pro
Mo Dog running rack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2020, 02:05 PM
Keeper

Not sure about the shoot thru (thru hull?) transducer, but the LSS2 works with the HDS 9 Gen 3. That’s what I have in my boat.
Old 03-06-2020, 02:09 PM
Slot Fish

Default Transducer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezman38 View Post

I have HDS 8 and 7 gen 1 (non touch screen, LSS1 module and trans required) and I use the puck transducer for shoot thru today.

What transducers can i use for the newer HDS 9 gen 3 touch? Will the shoot thru puck work with the sonar?

For down imaging and side scan I know I can buy the Lowrance totalscan transducer, but would the LSS2 transducer work?

Someone let me know how there Gen 3 setup is working so that I can update mine as needed.

Thanks a ton!!!!
I h e a gen 2 on hd8. I was told that the lss1 was much better and there is one a few posts up for
$80.
Air mar produces the finest in the world bar none. Worth the read for sure. Everybody buys a great unit and the skimps on a trans duper that comes w the unit. I have a b80 I think and it is way better than the standard. I order mine without a transducer. You get what you pay for. Everyone lies about a chirp. They say it’s chirp comparable but not true chirp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2020, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

I use the Lowrance HST-WSBL which is a shoot thru hull and I just saw a video that it still works on new HDS versions.

Just not sure on if the LSS2 would be the best for side scan, I do not want to buy the total scan as it would require more holes and I don't need that.
Minn Kota Terrova #112
225 Optimax & 9.9 Mercs
Trollmaster Pro
Mo Dog running rack
Old 03-06-2020, 09:05 PM
Charter Member

For the Gen-3, the LSS2 is the best side/down Imaging transducer, connects directly into the Gen-3 without need of the SS Module. The HST/WSBL transducer will work as a shoot thru if properly epoxied in place, but will not provide water temp. If memory serves correct though, the LSS2 has temp built into it so can be used as the source for temp..The shoot thru transducer you have been using though, will connect and work for any and all of the HDS units, except you would need a 7-9 pin adapter cable if connecting to an HDS Live unit.
Old 03-06-2020, 10:17 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezman38 View Post

Thanks a ton!!!!
If I'm reading this correctly you already have a puck transducer installed and a Lss1 installed also. Then you need nothing more than to swap out head units. Plug your transducer into the back and your ethernet from the Lss1 also into the back and everything will be fine. You can also run a Lss2 into the back of your head unit. The Lss1 has a better downscan image compared to the Lss2, less compression and sharper image. The Lss2 will look out a greater distance to the sides. You have the ability to use both if you so choose.
9.9hp Tohatsu kicker
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 lithium batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
3 12" graphs- Lowrance Live,Carbon and Simrad EVO 3
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 trimtabs
Traxstech 72" tracks, Berts 24" tracks on each gunnel
2 Big Jon Capt packs riggers
Lowrance autopilot
MK 15' Talon
Old 03-08-2020, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

Default Thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrain View Post
If I'm reading this correctly you already have a puck transducer installed and a Lss1 installed also. Then you need nothing more than to swap out head units. Plug your transducer into the back and your ethernet from the Lss1 also into the back and everything will be fine. You can also run a Lss2 into the back of your head unit. The Lss1 has a better downscan image compared to the Lss2, less compression and sharper image. The Lss2 will look out a greater distance to the sides. You have the ability to use both if you so choose.
Awesome, thanks for the replies.

I looked yesterday and the puck I use is a PD-WBL and not the one i mentioned before, so it will still work and I will just keep the LSS1 as it works fine and I don't use the side scan a ton anyway.
Minn Kota Terrova #112
225 Optimax & 9.9 Mercs
Trollmaster Pro
Mo Dog running rack
Old 03-11-2020, 03:42 AM
Wallhanger

Default Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by tewwbulltom View Post
I h e a gen 2 on hd8. I was told that the lss1 was much better and there is one a few posts up for
$80.
Air mar produces the finest in the world bar none. Worth the read for sure. Everybody buys a great unit and the skimps on a trans duper that comes w the unit. I have a b80 I think and it is way better than the standard. I order mine without a transducer. You get what you pay for. Everyone lies about a chirp. They say it’s chirp comparable but not true chirp.
The 83-200 skimmer transducer is decent. But like tewwbulitom says Airmar transducer will amaze you. I have two on my boat without question some of the best. TM 150, P-66,. Also the 1000 watt transducers.

http://www.airmartechnology.com/bottom-calculator.html here is a bottom calculator from airmar lists all their transducers. Look at the TM ducers, select one like the TM 185 HW look at its coverage. Select any of the TM on left of this calculator

Personally I do not like thru-hulls. Sorry just don't.

I like my Lowrance Gen 3 9. But that Gen 1 8 is a very good unit also. Have Gen 3 12, like the 9 as well.

Last edited by Gary Korsgaden; 03-11-2020 at 03:50 AM.