Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Unusual Item Needed? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 10-12-2020, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

Default Unusual Item Needed?

Comment on 4-slice toaster reminded me of at least one item which I take, and now await the OMG comments! Some years ago, I started taking a cheap large garage sale plastic clothes hamper. Why, you say, do you want/need such an item? Hardly, as one set of fishing clothes can be enough for most trips! But, I have found that every cabin which I have been in has a waste container about the size of a gallon milk jug (slight down-size exaggeration). At any rate, it seems that whatever is provided is so small that it is barely possible to not overflow within a day. Or less. I find that with the extra large plastic bags (which I also bring), it is possible to actually hold enough trash until garbage pickup day. Fits nicely in trailered boat and can help prevent other items rolling around while going down the road.

Unusual?

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2020, 12:04 PM
Wallhanger

Ever considered one of the pipe and fitting breakdown-able hamper frames? Same concept plus less room....
Old 10-13-2020, 05:02 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Krejca View Post
Comment on 4-slice toaster reminded me of at least one item which I take, and now await the OMG comments! Some years ago, I started taking a cheap large garage sale plastic clothes hamper. Why, you say, do you want/need such an item? Hardly, as one set of fishing clothes can be enough for most trips! But, I have found that every cabin which I have been in has a waste container about the size of a gallon milk jug (slight down-size exaggeration). At any rate, it seems that whatever is provided is so small that it is barely possible to not overflow within a day. Or less. I find that with the extra large plastic bags (which I also bring), it is possible to actually hold enough trash until garbage pickup day. Fits nicely in trailered boat and can help prevent other items rolling around while going down the road.

Unusual?

Bill
One thing about drive in resorts you can bring everything but the kitchen sink,Bill don’t tell me you bring a bigger sink along?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2020, 06:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eckohlt View Post
One thing about drive in resorts you can bring everything but the kitchen sink,Bill don’t tell me you bring a bigger sink along?
Ha! The sinks are normally plenty adequate, but the kitchen waste container is always lacking. It has been said that I do take a pile of interesting extras. I took a small GMG smoker several years ago, and smoked up some nice crappies. That same year, we got gone through at the border. We had a pickup and my 20' Alaskan, which can carry a lot of lighter stuff. Five officials simultaneously went through every crack and compartment/travel case, while the lady boss stood with us. They didn't find anything illegal, which was to be understood, but the comment one of them made was that it looked like we were going camping for a month! I generally don't take stuff which isn't used, unlike some newbies who have been with me, in spite of being told not to in advance.

Bill
Old 10-13-2020, 08:06 AM
Wallhanger

If your coming to a drive in its very easy to bring anything you want.If its a flyout you have to limit yourself or pay extra for weight or another plane.Ive seen the extra plane mainly for beer.lol.But with older fisherman the more comfort the better and iam all for that to.Most outposts pretty much have everything thats needed to make it through a week.Definatly not really roughing it.A solid roof over your head is the best part.
Old 10-13-2020, 10:58 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Krejca View Post
Ha! The sinks are normally plenty adequate, but the kitchen waste container is always lacking. It has been said that I do take a pile of interesting extras. I took a small GMG smoker several years ago, and smoked up some nice crappies. That same year, we got gone through at the border. We had a pickup and my 20' Alaskan, which can carry a lot of lighter stuff. Five officials simultaneously went through every crack and compartment/travel case, while the lady boss stood with us. They didn't find anything illegal, which was to be understood, but the comment one of them made was that it looked like we were going camping for a month! I generally don't take stuff which isn't used, unlike some newbies who have been with me, in spite of being told not to in advance.

Bill
Good write up,the only smoker I haul up there are the ones I tell to quit smoking you might be able to fish longer,plus if the motor quits they need to be able to row for more than 5 minutes
Old 10-13-2020, 11:02 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by prov1800 View Post
If your coming to a drive in its very easy to bring anything you want.If its a flyout you have to limit yourself or pay extra for weight or another plane.Ive seen the extra plane mainly for beer.lol.But with older fisherman the more comfort the better and iam all for that to.Most outposts pretty much have everything thats needed to make it through a week.Definatly not really roughing it.A solid roof over your head is the best part.
Good solid roof and all the water you drink,and the best part hundreds of those free little fishy’s,I don’t want to say minnows on here it might start a riot lol
Old 10-13-2020, 09:51 PM
Keeper

Thumbs up

Bill, HA, HA, HA, your not the only one that brings a tall garbage can!!! 🤣 We brought one too for years..... but finally found a resort that has a decent tall kitchen garbage can, so don’t bring one anymore!👍😁 I am one to bring many things to come prepared. We too got checked at the border & as they were going through our stuff in the boat & bed of the pick up, they said are you going camping? We said no, going to a resort renting a cabin. They said you sure have lots of stuff....fans & DVD players & we said came prepared with fans if it’s hot 🥵 & DVD Players to watch movies in case it’s raining!!!👍😁

RBF
Old 10-14-2020, 12:59 PM
Keeper

Our last few trips have been outposts which rarely offer a garbage can - we typically just tie off a garbage bag and make sure all of our compostable stuff goes in the gut bucket

I am not sure if it qualifies as unusual but we typically take a 20 pack of microfibre rags (for washing your car etc) - they are awesome for boat duty, kitchen duty and I like to keep one for myself in my room to use to wash up any cuts or scrapes I always seem to accumulate

Last trip our grocery store stop in Thunder Bay didnt have any and man were they missed. Next time around will buy ahead of time and pack in my suitcase
Old 10-14-2020, 01:26 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordy28 View Post
Our last few trips have been outposts which rarely offer a garbage can - we typically just tie off a garbage bag and make sure all of our compostable stuff goes in the gut bucket

I am not sure if it qualifies as unusual but we typically take a 20 pack of microfibre rags (for washing your car etc) - they are awesome for boat duty, kitchen duty and I like to keep one for myself in my room to use to wash up any cuts or scrapes I always seem to accumulate

Last trip our grocery store stop in Thunder Bay didnt have any and man were they missed. Next time around will buy ahead of time and pack in my suitcase
Canadian Tire (either one in Thunder Bay) usually has them