Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
A few questions about installing Mercury's Active Trim system on my 2020 620FS Cup - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 08-17-2021, 09:27 AM
Wallhanger

Default A few questions about installing Mercury's Active Trim system on my 2020 620FS Cup

I'm definitely going to install Mercury's Active Trim system on my 2020 620FS Cup, as it seems like an easy way to improve both the performance of my boat and the convenience of operating it. (I'm getting the hang of properly trimming while motoring since buying my boat - my first ever - last year, but I'm still learning and I'd be happy to focus on other things, instead. ) I've read the manual and other material available on the company's website, but I've a couple of questions for folks here who are knowledgeable about installation.

The manual says that the keypad assembly should be installed "In a location that provides a clear view of the sky without overhead obstructions" and "At least 61 cm (24 in.) from speakers, VHF, satellite, and radar antennas, or other equipment that produces radio frequency transmissions, or magnetic fields."

Does that first point mean that it should NOT be installed on a vertical surface? How about a slanted surface?

Given both points, do folks with boats such as mine have a particular spot they like to put this? I don't have a stereo system, but I do have factory-installed VHF, etc.

I'm also considering installing a Zipwake system at some point in the future (if this can be done on my boat, which I'm still figuring out). The Active Trim manual mentions there being a Trim Tab Interface Kit, and says that although the "Active Trim system will not control the trim tabs," the "VCM [vessel control module] reads the tab sensor position and transmits it on CAN P for use with SmartCraft gauges" (which I have).

Is there any reason I should wait to install the Active Trim system until after I've installed (or determined that I won't be installing) a Zipwake system? Or can I easily change the Active Trim system's installation to incorporate that Trim Tab Interface Kit after the fact?

As always, thanks a lot for any and all knowledgeable/experienced advice you can provide! And bonus thanks for any photos you post of installations on boats like mine!

Gerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2021, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

You can easily add it after the ZipWakes are installed. Good luck with the tabs. I hope you can get them on your boat. I love them.

I have my keypad in a vertical position, because there was no where else to put it up on top, and it works just fine.

My friend, who installed it, made up a bracket for it, and installed it by my right knee, (when I'm sitting in the driver's seat).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Active Trim Install 8 12 20212.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	328732  
NPAA#89
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
Vexus DVX22 Merc 400 Verado
Humminbird Helix 12s
MinnKota Terrova 112
Old 08-17-2021, 02:10 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juls View Post
You can easily add it after the ZipWakes are installed. Good luck with the tabs. I hope you can get them on your boat. I love them.

I have my keypad in a vertical position, because there was no where else to put it up on top, and it works just fine.

My friend, who installed it, made up a bracket for it, and installed it by my right knee, (when I'm sitting in the driver's seat).
Thanks - I hope so, too! Haven't fished big water very much yet, but if and when this dang pandemic eases up I plan to do so a lot more - and everyone who has a Zipwake system seems to love it!

That looks like a great installation! Don't think I could put mine there, though, as my VHF is installed right by my right knee. Helps to know vertical is OK, in any event.

Gerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2021, 10:16 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbin View Post
I'm definitely going to install Mercury's Active Trim system on my 2020 620FS Cup

Does that first point mean that it should NOT be installed on a vertical surface? How about a slanted surface?

Given both points, do folks with boats such as mine have a particular spot they like to put this? I don't have a stereo system, but I do have factory-installed VHF, etc.

Is there any reason I should wait to install the Active Trim system until after I've installed (or determined that I won't be installing) a Zipwake system? Or can I easily change the Active Trim system's installation to incorporate that Trim Tab Interface Kit after the fact?

Mine came with ActiveTrim installed by Lund. The control is pretty small & I'll post a pic next time I' at the boat & remember. Mine is mounted vertically underneath the big motor's throttle.

Overall it works well. I lose a little speed but get better MPH. "Slight" is key. Don't expect miracles with though. For example, with me jockeying the trim I hit 58.5 MPH with a smidge over 23 GPH. Turning on ActiveTrim, same day, same lake I hit 57.2 MPH at 21 or 22 GPH (i forgot the exact GPH)

My kids often drive the boat, and for them ActiveTrim is great: launch, turn it on, pick the profile & let it manage the trim.

I forget what I paid for it as an option though. I'd probably get in the next boat because it does make it a little easier to really squeeze out a li'l more MPG, but just a litttle.

ActiveTrim or tabs though? Very different tools for very different goals to be met.

Happy fishing!