Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Four Walleye Bag Limit: Watch For It In 2022 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 01-05-2022, 05:11 PM
Wallhanger

Default Four Walleye Bag Limit: Watch For It In 2022

Fisheries Chief Brad Parsons makes the comment admitting that there is no biological need for limit reduction, but there may be some social reasons...

What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2022, 05:13 PM
Wallhanger

Location: Land of 10,000 lakes, even more taxes and the state where the police are handcuffed.

I think it's exactly like school referendums. They beat you to death with it until you give up or die.
Old 01-05-2022, 05:34 PM
Minnow

Our limits were reduced to 4 on the river already this year & I still ate fish when I had the craving. I also sent one to the taxidermist for the first time ever. I went up to Lake MilleLacs this year too and almost got skunked. 3 of us shared one walleye for dinner, just the one night. Luckily we brought other food for the other nights. I guess I am not against dialing back to 4 …..If it means I have an easier time getting a meal when I want one & increasing the chances for a wall hanger. I’m lucky to live 5 minutes from the boat ramp. I do wish they’d go back to the old ways tho and have a possession limit equal to two daily limits, for people who don’t live so close to the fish or can’t get out as often.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2022, 05:45 PM
LV guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Korsgaden View Post
Fisheries Chief Brad Parsons makes the comment admitting that there is no biological need for limit reduction, but there may be some social reasons...

What do you think?
I'm all for it. That's already the law on Lake Vermilion.
Old 01-05-2022, 06:12 PM
Wallhanger

I say what I always say. About 75% of all walleyes caught within Minnesota come out of 6 or 7 major lakes and 3 rivers. Almost all of those lakes have special regs already. There is no need to lower the limit on the other 9993.

I agree with Minnesota Guy - Beat us to death with the idea till it is real.

Same thing with lead jigs killing loons. I've spent my share of time on Minnesota Lakes and lots of those in Ontario. I've seen dead gulls, beavers, a bear, a moose, lots of dead fish, but I have never seen a dead loon. You could make a better case with me for lead killing those animals I've listed, but I supposed lead probably was the cause of a few those critters. Just not from fishing tackle.
Old 01-05-2022, 06:48 PM
Keeper

That is really freaking funny...."Fisheries Chief Brad Parsons makes the comment admitting that there is no biological need for limit reduction, but there may be some social reasons...

What happened to acting on facts based on research. What happened to what's best for the resource. What the f%ck happened to this guy where he thinks he needs to act on someone's/groups clueless opinion.

I really hope this is a joke and please post a reference or link so that I can follow up with this gentleman

Last edited by Common Man; 01-05-2022 at 06:58 PM.
Old 01-05-2022, 07:38 PM
Wallhanger

Default Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Common Man View Post
That is really freaking funny...."Fisheries Chief Brad Parsons makes the comment admitting that there is no biological need for limit reduction, but there may be some social reasons...

What happened to acting on facts based on research. What happened to what's best for the resource. What the f%ck happened to this guy where he thinks he needs to act on someone's/groups clueless opinion.

I really hope this is a joke and please post a reference or link so that I can follow up with this gentleman
The quote was in a Minneapolis Tribune Article "Outdoor Topics For 2022. will get the date etc and post. No it is not a joke.

Last edited by Gary Korsgaden; 01-05-2022 at 07:45 PM.
Old 01-06-2022, 05:38 AM
Wallhanger

I don't have a problem with only 4 legal walleyes for a limit but I'm not comfortable with the DNR basing decisions based upon social reasons and not science. I think it sets a bad precedence and prefer that DNR decisions be based upon science.
Old 01-06-2022, 06:01 AM
Keeper

I don't have a problem with the 4 fish bag limit either. What chaps my a$$ are these guys trying to factor in public opinion into the research. Can the resource support a 6 fish bag limit....yes or no? If no - then start making recommendations based on that research. Leave the public opinion up to the legislation because ultimately that's where this decision is made.
Old 01-06-2022, 06:07 AM
Wallhanger

https://www.startribune.com/five-out...022/600131916/

Here is the quote from that article:

State Fisheries Chief Brad Parsons has said the agency doesn't have scientific justification to support a statewide reduction to four walleyes per bag, but he says the idea has social merit to underscore the scarcity of the resource.

To clarify: Fisheries Chief Brad Parsons makes the comment admitting that there is no biological need for limit reduction, but there may be some social reasons.. this statement has been made in previous efforts and from someone close to the issue and heard at last falls DNR Walleye Group Meeting

Last edited by Gary Korsgaden; 01-06-2022 at 06:10 AM.