Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Fishing and hunting, either, both - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 11-05-2021, 09:54 AM
Slot Fish

Default Fishing and hunting, either, both

A lot of resorts/camps are switching over from fishing to hunting. I'm really curious about this.

I love fishing...can't think of much I'd rather do. I have absolutely no interest in hunting and, maybe (sorry), a bit of a negative attitude about it. My point is not to argue about that.

I'm curious about whether the fishermen on this board are also into hunting.....and compared to their interest in fishing.

I guess a related question, sort of, is how many open water fishermen continue with ice fishing. I ice fished as a kid, but haven't for many years.

Thanks....too much time on my hands

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2021, 11:26 AM
Keeper

I enjoy hunting more than fishing, but do way more fishing. I don't have to travel far to fish and it is a much longer season, so there is far more opportunity. This is especially true given busy family life. Sadly, I haven't ice fished in probably 3-4 years now due to having 3 kids in winter sports. The kids won't be around forever so I hope to get back into it.

Last edited by Timmer92; 11-05-2021 at 11:29 AM.
Old 11-05-2021, 11:27 AM
Wallhanger

I do both hunting and fishing. Before i turned 55 it was 75% hunting 25% fishing, now that i'm over 60 it's 90% fishing 10% hunting & i do not ice fish at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2021, 06:53 PM
Wallhanger

When I was younger I would hunt every weekend and holiday from September 1st through January 31st for everything from dove to deer to ducks to rabbits to pheasant. I loved it. Around 60, and my dog dying, that all stopped. I would fish a lot but it wasn't every weekend. I used to love wading in streams using 4 pound test and baby rebel crankbaits or roaster tails. I still fish but only occasionally. I used to ice fish but never really enjoyed it.
Old 11-05-2021, 07:53 PM
Keeper

I fish from mid May thru mid Oct. I hunt from mid Oct thru the end of January. I make trail bologna and summer sausage in February. I take March off and start getting my boat ready in April.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Old 11-06-2021, 07:17 AM
Wallhanger

when I was a little younger I hunted bow, gun, and the muzzleloader season and loved them all. I fished every chance I got from wi to fl and a lot of places in between. I fished the Intracoastal and the big water in fl. I fished for anything and everything that wanted my bait. I have fished for and caught sharks in the keys. I salmon fished wi and mi with great success in mi. and I loved every type of fishing I did.

now that I'm older and all my old hunting and fishing buddies have died and my health isn't what it use to be I hunt our muzzleloader season with my son and his wife unless my son gets a deer early then were done. I'm just not able to drag a deer out anymore. but I would hunt more if I had someone to hunt with that wouldn't mind dragging my deer out.

as for fishing, I have big plans in winter but they just never happen when summer gets here. i do very little bass fishing in ponds with my granddaughters. I do a little pond fishing with my nephew when I make a trip to tn to visit family and to fish with him.. the highlight of my year is our 1 week trip to Erie in July with my oldest son and his wife. if I had to give up hunting or fishing it would probably be hunting., as hunting is loved by me because I get to spend some alone time with just my son and his wife. but our week up on Erie I get to spend more time with them together out on the boat and still get to go in and spend time with the wife. and I don't have to go home like we do if he gets his deer. hunting consists of 3 weekends if my son goes dry until the 3rd weekend.

I still love and enjoy hunting and fishing I'm just not able to do either that much. i did have another great fishing trip to fl when my younger sister and her husband lived down there. for the last few yrs, they lived down there. I spent the month of February down there fishing the Intracoastal for black drum, redfish, and grouper. but we caught everything including a lamprey eel that he caught,
Old 11-07-2021, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

At the resort, we do duck and grouse hunting... but personally, I have no interest in it. If I am going to shoot for fun, I'd rather shoot clays with some friends.

Fishing soft water... that's what I was made for. Ice fishing is staring at a hole for hours. I would rather be snowmobiling at that point. Floating in a boat in the middle of nowhere is as good as life gets!
Old 11-07-2021, 08:57 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obabikon View Post
At the resort, we do duck and grouse hunting... but personally, I have no interest in it. If I am going to shoot for fun, I'd rather shoot clays with some friends.

Fishing soft water... that's what I was made for. Ice fishing is staring at a hole for hours. I would rather be snowmobiling at that point. Floating in a boat in the middle of nowhere is as good as life gets!
to me, it's not so much about the sport as the people you do things with. I love hunting and fishing but having others that feel the same way that makes it priceless.

I did ice fish for a few yrs with my best friend. but after he moved to tn and we had a couple of mild winters that I didn't fish I just never started back.

I did catch my 1st walleye through a hole in the ice. it was 29 1/2" and was 9 1/2 lbs. and I've caught thousands since but not ice fishing.
Old 11-10-2021, 02:07 PM
Wallhanger

I hunt and fish... and some would say hunt fish.

I hunt deer, turkey, waterfowl, upland.... and enjoy it all. My dad started me out at 5 on Lac Suel fishing, and on the lake front here chasing perch and salmon. I took my first deer, duck and goose at 9 so it's been a life long passion both fishing and hunting.

I will fish from open water till freeze up if possible, but once October rolls around I'm chasing deer or waterfowl as often as I can. I do not ice fish... it is very difficult to cut a whole big enough to troll in....

Last edited by eyeman_1; 11-10-2021 at 02:37 PM.
Old 11-10-2021, 02:38 PM
Wallhanger

Mike, no need to apologize for wasting time starting a W/C post. What do you think the rest of us are doing responding to your post?

I've never hunted. I wasn't raised hunting and never had friends that were big into hunting, so that pretty much kept me out of it.

Being a member of Walleye Central says that I like fishing and responding to your post in the Canada section also indicates my preference for Canada. We used to weekend at the cabin and I fished a lot. Since retiring and living at the lake year round I really only fish my MN lake when relatives are in town and want to go fishing. I'll fish early in the spring for crappies but that's about it. Canada has spoiled me so I get there as often as possible (three times this fall, but that was pushing the spousal limits).

Ice fishing is fun, but I've gotten lazy there, too. I used to run around the lake, but as I've gotten older I enjoy going out to a heated day house in a bombardier or staying in a sleeper house. I haven't had the snowmobile or portable house out in several years and keep saying I should sell them. I do enjoy going to the ice show in St. Paul in December and making as many ice fishing trips as possible December through February. By March I'm done with winter and we usually go somewhere warm for a couple weeks.