Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Ulterra rotating noise - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 11-15-2021, 12:29 PM
Keeper

Default Ulterra rotating noise

It seemed to me that my Uterra steering noise changed this season, maybe my imagination. It definitely is "noisier" when rotating clockwise than when it's rotating counter-clockwise. Anyone have that situation with their Ulterra?

It also appears that when I'm spot-locked and motor rotates and wraps the cord too tight before it automatically unwinds, it winds way tighter one direction than the other (hope that makes sense!). Anyway, any others experience anything similar? If so is there a fix?

2008 ProV 1800 SE
150 Verado
Ulterra I-Pilot
Lowrance HDS 12 Gen 3
Lowrance HDS 7 Gen 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2021, 01:39 PM
Keeper

No, I have not had any problems with my Alterra but it was new as of this spring. My friend's Alterra does seem to wind a little tighter occasionally on spot lock before it corrects itself than mine. His is 3 or 4 years old.

However, there should be no differences on how it acts when turning left or right except for the direction.

Sorry, basically I am no help.
Old 11-15-2021, 02:05 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
It seemed to me that my Uterra steering noise changed this season, maybe my imagination. It definitely is "noisier" when rotating clockwise than when it's rotating counter-clockwise. Anyone have that situation with their Ulterra?

It also appears that when I'm spot-locked and motor rotates and wraps the cord too tight before it automatically unwinds, it winds way tighter one direction than the other (hope that makes sense!). Anyway, any others experience anything similar? If so is there a fix?
I have the same problem with mine, it's a year old and it makes a lot of noise when turning clockwise. I've learned through research (a google search revealed a few others have the same problem) there's an issue with the seal that allows moisture to enter the gearbox, I took mine to my dealer this past weekend to have it repaired.

Last edited by 7 Mag; 11-15-2021 at 02:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2021, 07:40 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Mag View Post
Quote:

I have the same problem with mine, it's a year old and it makes a lot of noise when turning clockwise. I've learned through research (a google search revealed a few others have the same problem) there's an issue with the seal that allows moisture to enter the gearbox, I took mine to my dealer this past weekend to have it repaired.
Thanks Mag. I was afraid it was something in the gearbox. Sounds like I need to check with my local dealer to see when I can take it in. I'd be interested in what you find out on your unit too.

2008 ProV 1800 SE
150 Verado
Ulterra I-Pilot
Lowrance HDS 12 Gen 3
Lowrance HDS 7 Gen 2

Last edited by Pat; 11-15-2021 at 08:26 PM.
Old 11-16-2021, 06:38 AM
Wallhanger

I had this problem with my power drive which is also electric steer. It is the steering motor/gearbox going bad. My power drive had plastic gears. It's probably the same with all electric steer motors.
Old 11-16-2021, 10:45 AM
Keeper

I also had a noisy Ulterra. Mine was repaired under warranty in the first year of ownership and is much quieter now
Old 11-16-2021, 11:23 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Thanks Mag. I was afraid it was something in the gearbox. Sounds like I need to check with my local dealer to see when I can take it in. I'd be interested in what you find out on your unit too.
They said it will be a couple of weeks before they can get to it but i'll post an update when i know what they found.
Old 11-17-2021, 06:11 AM
Wallhanger

It is a common problem, we have a MinKotta shop here and they replaced the steering box a couple of times a couple of times. Sometimes even the new one's are noisy. I could never understand why it's only one way when it's only a battery reversal that turns it with everything else the same. Since i cast in real shallow water it is frustrating and the only reason i just purchased a Lowrance Ghost

YouTube...Jim Lyon Fishing
Old 11-17-2021, 11:45 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Fever View Post
It is a common problem, we have a MinKotta shop here and they replaced the steering box a couple of times a couple of times. Sometimes even the new one's are noisy. I could never understand why it's only one way when it's only a battery reversal that turns it with everything else the same. Since i cast in real shallow water it is frustrating and the only reason i just purchased a Lowrance Ghost
That's what I heard from my local authorized repair shop too. Called them before I went to the trouble of removing my Ulterra and they said it's very common the rotation noise is very different between the two direction. They advised me to not bring it in unless you see visible binding or extreme grinding. They said the new motor would likely be very similar to what I hear now. I'm looking forward to see what Mag finds out on his repair.

2008 ProV 1800 SE
150 Verado
Ulterra I-Pilot
Lowrance HDS 12 Gen 3
Lowrance HDS 7 Gen 2
Old 11-17-2021, 05:57 PM
Wallhanger

No need to take it off the boat, it can be changed while still on the boat in less than an hour

YouTube...Jim Lyon Fishing