Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
boat left me - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 11-29-2021, 08:12 PM
Wallhanger

Itís all good unless he would have had to swim for it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
Iím not sure I would tell that story if it happened to me.
Glad it turned out ok for you
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2021, 09:35 PM
Keeper

Years ago we had a 12' jon boat tied up to a pier on a small section of the Milwaukee river. Lived with my dad and took care of the boat and pier. It was mid-summer so not much current at all and the west wind would blow up river. I come home from work and get in the house which overlooks the river and see our boat floating in the middle of the river.....it came untied? So its about 100' off the dock maybe 150' at most. Grabbed a musky rod with a big bucktail. 1st CAST!!!! LUCKY that day.
Old 11-29-2021, 10:48 PM
Wallhanger

Told my buddy to hold the rope while I backed the boat in at the boat launch.Backed the trailer in, saw the boat floating beside the dock, took trailer and vehicle to parking area. Returned to see the boat about 30 yards out from the dock. The rope my buddy had grabbed wasn't connected to the boat. Fortunately, another party was launching at the time and, graciously, retrieved my boat. Along with the dose of humility, I learned 2 lessons:
1. Make sure one end of the tether rope is attached to the boat.
2. Instruct the party holding the rope to bring the boat to the dock as soon as it is off of the trailer.

Never too old to learn and I'm sure I've not seen everything. Bottom line, my boat=my mistake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2021, 05:37 AM
Wallhanger

many, many, yrs ag I had pulled into the bank to let my wife use the girl's room. when she came back I asked her to push us off. she shoved us off and I put the boat in reverse and was looking back. when I put it in forward and turned around there was my wife waist deep in water. I said what the he** are you doing out there. she wasn't happy with me, to say the least. I pulled back up to the bank and picked her up. but she didn't seem to like being stranded without a boat.
Old 11-30-2021, 11:37 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by tandm View Post
Told my buddy to hold the rope while I backed the boat in at the boat launch.Backed the trailer in, saw the boat floating beside the dock, took trailer and vehicle to parking area. Returned to see the boat about 30 yards out from the dock. The rope my buddy had grabbed wasn't connected to the boat. Fortunately, another party was launching at the time and, graciously, retrieved my boat. Along with the dose of humility, I learned 2 lessons:
1. Make sure one end of the tether rope is attached to the boat.
2. Instruct the party holding the rope to bring the boat to the dock as soon as it is off of the trailer.

Never too old to learn and I'm sure I've not seen everything. Bottom line, my boat=my mistake.

great story
Old 12-03-2021, 09:01 AM
Minnow

Default My friends enjoyed it....

Fishing musky league, we all pull out around the same time. I was the last one. I tied off, went to get the trailer, came back and the boat was 40 feet out.

5-6 members of the club came down to enjoy the moment and bust my chops. Then one took pity,
and pulled out his musky rod, snagged the boat and reeled it in (80lb test line can be helpful).

Predictably, that still comes up now and again meetings or club outings.
Old 12-05-2021, 08:26 AM
Keeper

About 10 years ago at H3ll Creek on Ft. Peck my buddy and I came in from the afternoon trip and pulled the boat up so the keel was stuck fast on the shoreline. I planned to go out fishing by myself later to enjoy the full moon for awhile so I didn’t stake out and tie off as is normal. After dinner and cleanup I walked back down from camp to find the boat about 100’ off shore. Fortunately it was dark, dead calm and a warm evening. With no one around I stripped and swam out to the boat and used the motor cavitation plate to step on and crawl in and then motored back to shore, grabbed my clothes and then motored out across H3ll Creek Bay naked until I dried off enough to put my clothes back on.
At the time of the incident I felt like a special opps force on a mission……..or just plain stupid!