Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
cut the cord? - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 03-03-2021, 07:09 AM
Keeper

Dish is annoying me with their increases as well. Fobu tv just picked up ATT Sports, so that would give me my local hockey games. About half the price I pay for Dish. Only downside is id need a Rokun or Firestick as my Vizio TV doesnt have their app built in....

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2021, 07:48 AM
Minnow

I have called them multiple times telling them to reduce my bill or cancel me. Every time they drop the price and give me the premium channels for free for 3 months.
Old 03-03-2021, 07:53 AM
Wallhanger

If you decide you want to cut the cord, make sure your internet can support everything you want to do, before you actually do it. It's not an option with us or I would have done it a long time ago. We have ATT dsl, and we're on the slow speed (1.5) because we can't support the fast speed (3.0).... we're like 1 baby step above dial up

Last edited by Derwood; 03-03-2021 at 08:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2021, 07:53 AM
Charter Member

Haven't paid for cable/satellite TV in 10 years.
Antenna pulls 62 channels.
We pay for internet and stream lots of options I'd rather pay for, Netflix, Amazon and my Verizon phone plan gives me Hulu and Discovery+ for free. I've never signed up for the free Disney channel though.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:09 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopes View Post
We are using WiFi wireless which has unlimited data limits. It's plenty fast enough to watch 3 tvs at once then you can choose what you want to see from streaming services.
This is what I hope to do if it ever becomes an option here. Looks promising, but is probably a pipe dream. The only downside of living rurally.
Old 03-03-2021, 09:22 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by clawman View Post
I've canceled my DISH the billing cycle ends March 4. Now I need to build the system in my home. Does anyone use Roku?
I dropped Comcast video several years ago and started with a TV that had the Roku operating system. I liked it then added Roku streaming sticks to other TVs around the house so they all have the same remote, look, feel, channels and capabilities.

Roku TV supports antenna over the air channels and if you plug into your network with internet access you get a guide service. Also Roku has over-the-top video channels too which offers some extended value for no additional cost other than harvesting your viewing information but that is another topic for discussion

Currently have YouTubeTV for $65 per month. Two features keep me hanging on to it. One is the unlimited DVR and second is the ability to skip over all commercials for DVR content. If either of those features changes i will drop that service immediately.
Old 03-03-2021, 09:41 AM
Keeper

We cut the cord 3 years ago. We have subscribed to Youtube TV and will never go back. Right now we are paying $60 per month and get all the channels we need. The nice thing about it vs dish is there is no contract so anytime we would want to switch there are no strings attached.
Old 03-03-2021, 09:49 AM
Wallhanger

Default No loyality

I too am on YouTubeTV and have been for a while. It works just fine at about $60 per month. However, I moved from HuluLive when they dropped the Fox regional stations last fall. I wasn't with YouTubeTV very long before they also dropped them. I've stayed with YouTube but as the MLB season get's closer something has to give! I going to find a way to watch Brewers games (at a reasonable cost) and I don't feel any loyalty to my TV provider.
Old 03-03-2021, 10:42 AM
Wallhanger

Cut the cord over 3 years ago. OTA roof antenna pulls in 60 channels , use it for locals. Picked up an Nvidia Shield, I have 4 IPTV accounts - about 10,000 channels ( total 160 a year) add a Vpn ( 35 a year) several tv/ movie apks that replicate Netflix (free) and add Real Debrid private server access( 36 a year)

So for about 230 a year i get every movie and tv show on demand and all live programming,every sporting game and fight. Couldn't be happier
9.9hp Tohatsu kicker
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 lithium batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
3 12" graphs- Lowrance Live,Carbon and Simrad EVO 3
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 trimtabs
Traxstech 72" tracks, Berts 24" tracks on each gunnel
2 Big Jon Capt packs riggers
Lowrance autopilot
MK 15' Talon
Old 03-03-2021, 10:49 AM
Wallhanger

I cut the cord quite a few years ago. Have used a few different services. Currently on YouTubeTV and have GB Internet. I'm not sure I'm really saving any money at this point. The prices for streaming have went up a ton. We have a combination of ChromeCast, AppleTVs, Rokus and FireTV sticks as well as just the smart TV apps. It's nice to have the flexibility of using any type of device we want to watch TV as opposed to needing a dedicated box. That being said, most cable providers also include streaming with their service. So I'm not so certain there is that huge of value in it anymore.