Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Got Bert's Tracks - what do folks like best for rod holders for trolling for walleye? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 05-28-2020, 05:53 PM
Wallhanger

Default Got Bert's Tracks - what do folks like best for rod holders for trolling for walleye?

I ordered my 2020 620FS Cup (now in production!!!) with a pair of 48" Bert's Tracks on the aft gunwales (and no rails). The boat comes with a pair of deck-mounted rod holders at the stern; I want to add rod holders via the tracks for trolling, mainly using dipsy divers or planer boards for walleye. I figure I'll often fish alone but I'll have another fisherman aboard occasionally, too, and NY allows three lines per angler, so I'd like to be able to run up to 6 trolling rigs at a time in total.

What rod holders do you especially like for this purpose, and why? If it helps in coming up with your recommendation, I tend to prefer items that will serve me particularly well rather than cost me particularly little.

(How) does your recommendation change if I say that I want to go after lake trout or salmon once in a while, too?

Thanks!

Gerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2020, 06:10 PM
Wallhanger

As far as rod holders go I really like my Berts ratcheting rod holders and they are great for running dipsey divers for salmon too. When trolling walleye and early season coho i like to run rod trees in my tracks. Helps space out rod tips vertically, great when turning. I run basic fixed position trees from High Seas which suit me fine but alot of guys like the adjustable ones.

Cannon also makes a nice dual axis rod holder that I would use if i didn't already have 6 Berts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200503_122605.jpg
Views:	722
Size:	485.5 KB
ID:	318998  
9.9hp Tohatsu kicker
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 lithium batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
3 12" graphs- Lowrance Live,Carbon and Simrad EVO 3
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 trimtabs
Traxstech 72" tracks, Berts 24" tracks on each gunnel
2 Big Jon Capt packs riggers
Lowrance autopilot
MK 15' Talon
Old 05-29-2020, 09:55 AM
Wallhanger

Is there any meaningful difference between the comparable rod holders made by Bert's, Cannon, Traxstech, Muddycreek Tackle...? They ALL sound good to me - and Muddycreek, which is the cheapest that I've seen so far, might even sound best - but I admit to being a fairly ignorant fellow. What are the important differences that I should be looking for in these things?

Also, why would I choose a single or a double or a triple... rodholder? I can see a slight advantage in going with singles as then I'd only mount what I plan to use on a given outing and there wouldn't be anything else to get in my way, but is there any advantage to the multiples? I suppose maybe the fact that they take up less track, huh? But with 48" of track on each side I'll have plenty of that. Am I missing something?

Gerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2020, 05:00 PM
Wallhanger

Gerry, Berts makes great stuff. Isn't that why you chose the Berts track option? Bob
Old 05-29-2020, 06:49 PM
Wallhanger

I used to use burts for dipsys. The exposed teeth that sometimes need grease turned me off. I switched to traxtech ratcheting rod holders for dipsys. Unless you are using cradles you want to be able to pull the dipsy rod holder up. For easy removing of the pressured dipsy rod. On my boat I use vertical rod trees and other tube style holders. If I had U shaped storage in the back of the boat. As I believe you will? I would use Cisco’s cradle mounts. The rod butts sticking into the boat would be an advantage with 7 shaped storage. Cisco also makes different height pedestal mounts for the cradles. So you can start out with higher mounts by the drivers seat. And end up with low mounts in the back of the boat. Keeps the planer board lines separated more. https://youtu.be/CoyBOZwrvwY
Old 05-29-2020, 06:56 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark Bob View Post
Gerry, Berts makes great stuff. Isn't that why you chose the Berts track option? Bob
Nope. I ordered the Ranger-Cup Equipped package, so the optional add-ons were limited; Bert’s was the only track system available to me as part of my build.

Not that I think there’s anything wrong with Bert’s stuff! I’m sure I’ll be quite pleased with my tracks, and I’d doubtless be pleased with the company’s rod holders, too. I’m just not a brand-loyalty kind of guy and am happily considering ALL of my options.

Without really knowing all that much yet, what I find most appealing at present are Muddycreek Tackle’s and Cisco’s rod holders. Both have edges at the tube opening that have been machined smooth, so no rubber cap - that I’ve heard can easily get lost or will eventually wear out - is needed to protect the rod from damage. I like that kind of thoughtful attention to detail in manufacturing. Don’t know how to choose between them, though, nor if there are other features of other makes that really matter more. I’m learning...

Gerry
Old 05-29-2020, 07:04 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowking View Post
... If I had U shaped storage in the back of the boat. As I believe you will? I would use Cisco’s cradle mounts. The rod butts sticking into the boat would be an advantage with 7 shaped storage...
Hm, I’d been thinking I’d go with tubes because I figured having rod butts sticking into the boat might be an undesirable thing, but maybe you’ve gotten something there...

Gerry
Old 05-29-2020, 07:22 PM
Wallhanger

That was supposed to be U shaped storage not 7 shaped. Here is Cisco’s risers for the cradles. If you click on the pictures underneath the riser picture. It will show the different heights setup on a boat. With tube style holders you might have to kneel on the U shaped storage and reach out over the water to get the rod out of tubes. Not I big deal with my 90 degree gunnels. Could be a pain with storage in the way. https://www.ciscofishingsystemsltd.c...er-mounts-7308
Old 05-29-2020, 07:33 PM
Keeper

I don’t have a ranger but I use triple rod trees and Scotty orca cradle holders. I also have 4 berts ratchet holders for the tracks.

If I’m running 6 lines for eyes I usually use the trees

If I’m salmon or trout fishing I use 2 downriggers with their holders, 2 ratchet holders if I’m running 4 rigger rods, 2 orcas for dipsy rods and the trees if I have boards out.

For eyes, nothin beats trees. Gets the rods up high which makes for better turns and with all rods on the same angle it’s easier to read the rod tips for a foul or strike. The further towards the bow you can put the trees the better. It allows you to run the boards out further to the side with less line out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-30-2020, 07:37 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowking View Post
... With tube style holders you might have to kneel on the U shaped storage and reach out over the water to get the rod out of tubes...
I'd love to hear on this subject from folks with boats similar to my new 620FS Cup. If you also have the U-shaped storage Snowk mentions, which seems to work better for you, cradle or tube rod holders?...

Gerry