Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Do you prime your blades? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Home Grown Tackle > HGT General Discussion

Old 04-10-2015, 12:00 AM
Keeper

Default Do you prime your blades?

Hey guys. I'm going to try my hand at airbrushing spinner blades and need to get some clarification on a few things. First, how do you prep your blades before you paint them? Next, is epoxy the best thing to use to clear coat your blades after painting? I'm in Canada and can't seem to find devcon 2 ton up here. I see guys are having good success with etex, but I'm not sure if I can find that up here either?? Some guys mentioned using concrete sealer. How are the results with that? I'm planning on using createx paint, but I'm open to any suggestions you guys have. It would be nice to start my trial and error process with the proper stuff!

Last edited by oilguy; 04-10-2015 at 12:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2015, 06:56 PM
Wallhanger

I've used both Devcon and Etex and prefer Etex. If you do use Etex make sure you follow the directions to the letter for best results. If you don't use an exact 50/50 mix you will not have good results. Do a search in the archives and perhaps try tackleunderground for info on concrete sealers.

http://www.tackleunderground.com/com...-as-a-topcoat/
Old 04-13-2015, 07:39 PM
Keeper

Thanks for the reply Nails. I've decided to try the Circa nu-lustre 55 as my epoxy because it's the only recommended one I can find locally.

What do you do before painting your blades? I see a lot about painting cranks, but not much on preping blades for createx paint. Createx recommended I use the wicked or auto line of paints, but it looks like a lot of guys are having good success with the standard createx. I'm just not sure if I have to bother priming the blades prior to painting them. Also, what do you prefer for paint?

I'm assuming that since I don't see much mentioned about priming blades, that I shouldn't have to?? Probably a quick cleaning with rubbing alcohol should be good enough?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2015, 11:19 AM
Wallhanger

as for prepping blades I usually wipe them down with window cleaner. I'm sure alcohol would work as well. use the glass cleaner because that is what I use to clean my air brush between colors so it is always on my bench. Some blades I prime and some I don't, it depends on the colors you are using and what you want it to look like. Some of the lighter and more translucent colors look better with white under them and other times I want the metal of the blade to show through like an antifreeze blade. I have used both the regular Createx colors and the Wicked Colors and have no problem with either on blades
Old 04-14-2015, 12:04 PM
Keeper

When I am painting metal blades with a spray liquid I etch them with the dip used for carbon arrow shafts, then wipe off any residue with alcohol and paper towel.
Old 04-14-2015, 02:47 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Scully View Post
as for prepping blades I usually wipe them down with window cleaner. I'm sure alcohol would work as well. use the glass cleaner because that is what I use to clean my air brush between colors so it is always on my bench. Some blades I prime and some I don't, it depends on the colors you are using and what you want it to look like. Some of the lighter and more translucent colors look better with white under them and other times I want the metal of the blade to show through like an antifreeze blade. I have used both the regular Createx colors and the Wicked Colors and have no problem with either on blades
One thing I forgot, the blanks that I buy already have a base coat on them to keep the metal from tarnishing in storage. I guess I should have said that the prep involved will depend on the blanks you are painting as well. I have tried to take the paint off of some of my painted and cured blades and it is nearly impossible to get them clean enough to paint again once they are done.
Old 04-15-2015, 07:57 PM
Wallhanger

I just clean my blades with denatured alcohol and wipe dry with a clean rag. I use Createx Fluorescent paints right now. When I get some time I'll try to remember to take some pictures of some of my blades and post them up. Airbrushing is very addicting, I've painted more blades than I could use In 10 yrs of fishing in the last couple of weeks. Gotta start painting just 4 or 5 of each pattern until I find which ones produce the best for where we fish. Painting my own sure beats the heck out of buying them at the bait store in Ignace.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:07 AM
Keeper

Find a Micheals arts and crafts.. They have e-tex
Old 04-26-2015, 12:02 AM
Minnow

If you're painting over metal blades, you can use Bulldog Sealer And Adhesion Promoter. It is designed specifically for that purpose.