Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Fishing trip 2020 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 08-11-2019, 12:32 PM
Minnow

Default Fishing trip 2020

Hello,

This might be a long shot but I wanted to take my son (16) on a Canadian fishing trip but did not want to go at it alone. I thought there might be a group in need of two more or perhaps another father/son looking to "hook" up. My son and I are very easy going and always wanting to pull our weight when on camping trips. I am open to a fly-in trips as well as a Drive in or Boat in.

We are coming for Arizona so we would fly into Minneapolis or International falls. We can rent a car and drive from there. Any thoughts on this? Am I crazy? Obviously, we would need access to a rental boat as well

Thanks, Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2019, 12:56 PM
Wallhanger

There are a million opportunities out there. Happy hunting and it will be exciting!

Hooks
Old 08-11-2019, 01:03 PM
Minnow

I hope so. I just think it would be a better trip with a group of "likeminded" people.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2019, 01:41 PM
Keeper

Out of curiosity, is it much more expensive to fly to Thunder Bay, ON or Winnipeg, MB? or just more of a hassle flying over the border?
Old 08-11-2019, 01:43 PM
Minnow

I have not looked into that option. Might be a good idea though?
Old 08-11-2019, 04:23 PM
Wallhanger

Default Follow-Up

Greetings,

As someone already mentioned, there are about one million options out there for you and your son. You might want to give some thought to things that might make your trip a better fishing trip based on your wants/needs/expectations. Here are some things to ponder:

Do you want American or Housekeeping plan?
What size body of water are you comfortable fishing?
What species of fish do you want to target?
What level of service do you want?
Do you prefer lakes versus rivers?
Do you want numbers of fish versus size?
Drive-to vs. boat-to vs. fly-in?
Camp atmosphere?
Guiding?
What type of boat/equipment do you want?
Time of the season?

I encourage you to consider the above points (and maybe other points as well). Your responses might guide you to a good choice for water and lodges. It's very easy to return to fish in Canada if you wisely select your first vacation!

Good fishing and tight lines!!!
Old 08-11-2019, 04:58 PM
Minnow

I have traveled to Canada with my 14 year old son the last 3 summers. It has been a lot of fun, but with a few bumps here and there. He and I were on a walk this afternoon for an hour talking about our Canada fishing trip plans for next summer.

We always just went to a lodge and fished and never traveled with a group. We met people at the lodges some times but it was all good just showing up the two of us. I don't think you need to hook up with a group to make this work.

It depends on what you are willing to spend and what you want to catch. One place to start is looking at the All Canada show web page and check out a few of the lodges that present at those shows. You can also just do some random searching on this site and you'll see good and bad reports on lots of places (if you are thinking of going to a particular lodge, look up what people say about that lodge on this site).

The Canada Fishing Guide website is also really good with great reports on a bunch of places in Canada.

After you know what you want and have a few places in mind, then you might just post here with a few of your possible choices and then you'll get more directed responses.

I hope this helps.
Old 08-11-2019, 05:29 PM
Minnow

Thanks for your response and recommendations. I am leaning towards a flyin trip and have not found an outfitter that caters to just two fisherman without charging for the smaller group. Also, If we could hook up with another group it would really help with bringing in the supplies as we would be flying in from AZ and its hard to pack food/drinks for a week
Old 08-11-2019, 05:32 PM
Minnow

Default Follow up

Thanks for the list of things to consider. I have done several flyin trips many years ago and really enjoyed them. I thought hooking up with a group would help with the supplies but the cost can be better with a larger group.
Old 08-11-2019, 05:47 PM
Minnow

My brother goes with a small group to ‘him and romas’ savant lake

We stay at country cabins near Sioux lookout

As stated above, I would suggest you figure out exactly what you want in your trip and don’t depend on fishing with someone else randomly. Plenty of options out there for the two of you