Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Americana music - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 04-09-2020, 04:26 AM
Wallhanger

Default Americana music

The John Prine thread got me thinking about it. Any fans out here? Favorite bands?

For those unfamiliar with the term, Americana is a mixture of country, folk, blues, gospel, bluegrass, rhythm and blues, and rock and roll. From the classic rock era think of CCR and The Band. More modern example is Old Crow Medicine Show. Different than "roots" music that tries to stick with authenticity of a traditional style.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2020, 06:10 AM
Charter Member

Rabid fan here, although Americana casts a wide net and my preferences tend more towards the countrier-sounding acts. Although I don't care for the term that much, Dale Watson came up the name Ameripolitan for the genre that encompasses Western swing, honky-tonk, rockabilly and outlaw.

Although it's gotten a little to big for my liking, the Americana Music Festival in Nashville each fall is a fun event. We saw acts like John Fogerty and Jsaon Isbell play in small bars, John Prine at the Station Inn, ...

Last edited by Homer; 04-09-2020 at 06:16 AM.
Old 04-09-2020, 06:18 AM
Charter Member

Not familiar with the music term "Americana" per se. Being a traditional country fan, I also like some bluegrass, it seems to be be a perker-upper on the long days of remaining mostly inside due to the virus instructions. My favorite newer group is a very talented four sibling group from North Carolina who play lively bluegrass and traditional country. Known as The Burnett Sisters Band, they play multiple instruments. Ranging in age from 13 to 24, they are a joy to watch/listen to. Segments of their talent are on many YouTube videos; some great renditions are interspersed on the Woodsongs Livestream 1009 video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilR4pyN_y7g

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2020, 11:10 AM
Minnow

I love Old Crow Medicine Show....Dead South is pretty good too.
Old 04-09-2020, 11:45 AM
Wallhanger

The Dead South is awesome.

Charlie Parr is amazing. He's a local guy and super cool to see him live.

https://youtu.be/CrxcKqRMiyA

I like Reverend Peyton too, they have some catchy tunes.

Old Crow Medicine Show has some great tunes as well. We were singing Wagon Wheel well over a decade ago.....Then Darrius Frucker jacked it all up.

My favorite OCMS song is "We're All In This Together"

Kind of fitting for our current times.....It's such a beautiful, yet sad song...

......walking the line between faith and fear

https://youtu.be/zGHDcoIJtyw

"If you're wise enough to wear a seatbelt in your truck.....you're wise enough to wear a life jacket in your boat....." (B-man)

Grady White 208 Hard-top 200 Yami
Lund Pro V 1660 60 HP Merc
Pro-Line 24 wa 250 Verado (sold)
Lund 186 Tyee 175 Verado (sold)
Ram 2500 Cummins

Last edited by B-man; 04-09-2020 at 11:57 AM.
Old 04-09-2020, 12:19 PM
Wallhanger

Ha I was gonna mention Dead south. There are multiple singers in that band but the one guy has a great voice. Good company and Black Lung are good songs amoung others.

Not sure I heard the label americana. But I was always an alternative rock guy, this lead me to lots of new music, because I was looking at the fringes and staying away from the top 40 unless a song or band was just that good.

What I really like is folk rock and singer songwriter stuff. But I like good songs from all Genres.

John Moreland, Dead South, Blaze Foley, Tyler Childress, Jeffry Steele, Luke nelson, Aaron Lewis Everlast(his guitar stuff not his rap), are all folk/country stuff I like(I hate mainstream country) . The I like a lot of rock, standard classic rock, 90s and 2000s rock, newer stuff like gov't Mule, Derek Brooks, Blackberry smoke, Shinedown.

then there is always some out of the box stuff to enjoy. Raul Midon is a fun mix of jazz and singer songwriter stuff. Colin Hay(land down under guy) has alot of fun shows and acoustic versions of old songs.

I watch alot of the "one guy and a guitar" (or girl) stuff on youtube and where ever I can find it.

If I had to give my all time favorite it would be a cage-match between John Prine and Neil Young.
Old 04-09-2020, 02:24 PM
Wallhanger

Agree that "Americana" isn't a great term, guess you have to use something. My wife calls terms like the "garage can" terms. They're so vague you can justify pretty much anything with them. Like, most of the country on the radio would have been country rock when I was younger. I don't think of it as Americana.

Glad to see there are other fans here and I've made notes of the bands I wasn't familiar with. Here's a local band that's been around for quite a while. They'd been scheduled to open Bell's beer garden but... Greensky Bluegrass was the traditional opener and got a little too big for it. Been doing it for years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nyizTiGo7I
Old 04-09-2020, 06:42 PM
Wallhanger

I'm a fan. Favorites (I'm probably defining the category a little loosely) include:
1. John Prine, of course.
2. The Band.
3. Townes Van Zandt.
4. Allison Krause.
5. Gillian Welch.
6. Steve Earle.
7. The Blasters.
8. Dave Alvin.
9. Bob Dylan.
10.Daniel Lanois.
11.Dwight Yoakam
12.Greg Brown.
13. Grateful Dead.
14. Robert Earl Keene.
15. Susan Teschi
Old 04-09-2020, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

The Dead South also is good, a sort of dark group with lots of feel good melodies. I still like The Burnett Sisters Band as the premium candidate for most feel good music, although Dead South is great, too!

Bill
Old 04-11-2020, 02:49 PM
Wallhanger

Lots of the above, plus . . . .

Ryan Bingham
Chris Smither
And gotta add Emmy Lou.