Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
VHS to DVD convert - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 04-22-2021, 01:12 PM
Wallhanger

I have successfully copied many, many commercial and home videos with my computer.
It did require me to install a video capture card in my computer. It has been several years since I did it.

VLC is still my favorite player for my iPhone videos that I want to watch on my pc's
VLC can play a multitude of files but not mrl's.

There are work arounds for the problem.
https://www.google.com/search?q=vlc+...U82DSQQ4dUDCA0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2021, 09:28 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnboy View Post
I have successfully copied many, many commercial and home videos with my computer.
It did require me to install a video capture card in my computer. It has been several years since I did it.

VLC is still my favorite player for my iPhone videos that I want to watch on my pc's
VLC can play a multitude of files but not mrl's.

There are work arounds for the problem.
https://www.google.com/search?q=vlc+...U82DSQQ4dUDCA0

Thanks all.

Johnboy I think you nailed it, explains why the Win 10 video playback works and VLC doesn't.

For me, VLC has been the easiest to deal with so I'd like to be able to use that, I think I'll be able to now.

I'll play with your suggestions this weekend, once again, thanks.

Al
Old 04-24-2021, 01:29 PM
Keeper

I used Dazzle by Pinnacle with good results,although most of my footage is on a hard drive.This is video from Hi8 and quality was decent.I think one could even capture audio from cassettes or vinyl with it.Made a few DVD copies with it,and played on VLC(Win 7).
Old 04-24-2021, 02:48 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaark1660 View Post
I used Dazzle by Pinnacle with good results,although most of my footage is on a hard drive.This is video from Hi8 and quality was decent.I think one could even capture audio from cassettes or vinyl with it.Made a few DVD copies with it,and played on VLC(Win 7).
I'll add it to my list of things to try, thanks.

Al
Old 04-24-2021, 03:34 PM
Wallhanger

I have a VCR/DVD Recorder that I used to use. I used to do that function but the VCR quit working. (Of course) lol!!!
Those things sell used on eBay for a small fortune.
Live and die on this day......
Old 04-24-2021, 08:05 PM
Wallhanger

legacy Times 2, go fishing, they do a great job
Old 04-25-2021, 10:25 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportdog View Post
I have a VCR/DVD Recorder that I used to use. I used to do that function but the VCR quit working. (Of course) lol!!!
Those things sell used on eBay for a small fortune.
I've had mine repaired. It was a simple fix, but I don't know exactly what was done.

A TV repairman did the work. It was in the shop for a long time, waiting for its turn.
There are only a few TV repairmen around and they have plenty of customers.
Old 04-25-2021, 09:21 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Eagle View Post
I've had mine repaired. It was a simple fix, but I don't know exactly what was done.

A TV repairman did the work. It was in the shop for a long time, waiting for its turn.
There are only a few TV repairmen around and they have plenty of customers.
Thanks for the heads up. Iíll look into that.
Live and die on this day......
Old 04-27-2021, 02:07 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Allen,
In a word - don't.

i.e.
Even if you spend the time and effort to convert some media from one format to another format - to what end?

i.e. what are you going to do with the media that you now have on a different format?

Are you going to look at 20 seconds of the media and then store it away and never look at it again.

---------------------
The reason that I ask the questions because of the billions and billions of photos that are taken every year around the world - it is likely that no more than 5% of the photos are ever looked at - after being taken and likely less than 1% of the photo's ever had anything significantly done with them.

i.e. the photos simply die a media death on a phone when a phone gets replaced by a new model.

Waste? Of course. But that is today's society.

Take care
Says a fella with more than 2 or 3 fishing poles.

AllenW: In Monona there is a place were I occasionally dump off the black & clear CD/DVD 5mm thin jewel cases that were replaced with color-tinted ones (so you can read both titles).
The guy has a business transferring older format media (VHS, BetaMax, 8mm camcorder, cassettes, 8-tracks, Polaroids, 35mm, etc. etc. etc.) into electronic formats (CD, DVD, mp4, mp3, etc.).
https://avmediageeks.com/
Most cities have someone doing that sort of thing regularly.
I asked him how much to transfer a VHS tape (6 hours worth at SLP) onto a DVD (or 2) - he said $20.
If this is a 1-time deal, it seems letting a professional do it is cheaper than buying the hardware and going through the learning curve.

Anonymouse still has an old XP computer with an ATI All-In-Wonder card that has a dongle to patch VHS into the computer and convert it to a modern electronic format, like CD or DVD.
Never use it anymore but the A-I-W cards stopped working when VISTA came out (that's why it's an XP machine).

ATI saw fit to stick their customers with a $300 useless piece of junk because they couldn't be bothered to write updated software for VISTA.
Still pizzled off about that, given that Anonymouse bought THREE of them 6 months before VISTA came out. (Grrrrrrrr!!!)
Anyway, even WITH an A-I-W card and FREE software (STOIK, SUPER - there's plenty of them out there) the effort involved in editing and compiling your own videos is a major headache if you have anything at all better to do with your time.

Anyhoo, look through the Yellow Pages for "Convert vhs tapes to dvd near me" & you'll probably find someone doing it for diddly-squat.
Less than the $53.99 for a LegacyBox starter kit anyway.
Walgreen's, WallyWorld, independent operator - there are plenty of fish in the sea that can do this job for you & make it nearly painless for less than you earned this morning before your coffee break.

Last edited by Anonymouse; 04-27-2021 at 02:42 PM.
Old 04-28-2021, 07:52 AM
Wallhanger

Thanks Anonymouse, but I have about 50 or 60 VHS tapes, and seem to find a few more as I clean out the storage.

At $10 to $20 a shot that gets to be more than I'd rather spend, I have more time than money I guess.

Also the biggest problem is many of these are tapes that were used to record other stuff and have bits of who knows what, I have no desire to watch episodes of General Hospital, so editing is a primary concern.

One of the problems I was having was getting to get VLC media player to work with the format I was using, MP4, I dumped MP4 and will try a different format and player if need be.

I had been using OSB Studio for editing and it's opting of formats are not favorable to what I doing so will try something called AmarecTV, and switch to Imgburn to burn the DVD's.
This according to some, appears to work well.

I really need a 13 year old to come explain all this, anybody got one I can have for a bit?

Al