Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Well water question? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 03-06-2015, 08:17 AM
Wallhanger

Default Well water question?

So my well pump went out. I replaced the shallow well jet pump in the basement with the same HP pump, it had a sand point also in the basement about 6 feet from the pump. I went from a 3/4" to a 1" suction pipe from pump to well pipe is about the only thing I changed. Now our well water taste's funny very iron water taste and wife said soap not bubbling up the same in washing machine and washing dishes. Before the pump went bad we had the best tasting water no smell at all, now iron water taste and smell a little funny. Could it be I need to go back to a 3/4" suction line? Or could it just be because the well was out of commission for 3 days and needs to flush out, it has been 3 days though since I got it working again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2015, 08:23 AM
Wallhanger

Shot in the dark, my apologizes if way off base.
What about the placebo effect knowing you made a change and I would suspect you used bottle water or other while the well was down for a few days.

Or you stirred up some sediment that needs to settle again
Old 03-06-2015, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

Possible faster flow when pumping, stirring up the junk in the bottom of the well? Pumps faster, runs less time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2015, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Add bleach and sanitize all lines.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:03 AM
Slot Fish

How deep are you pulling the water from? can you get some bleach down to the point to disinfect. Any time that you have a problem with a deep well you always pour bleach down the casing. You also might try running the water through a Charcoal type filter. These are odor and sediment filters.
Old 03-06-2015, 02:58 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by N9Phil View Post
How deep are you pulling the water from? can you get some bleach down to the point to disinfect. Any time that you have a problem with a deep well you always pour bleach down the casing. You also might try running the water through a Charcoal type filter. These are odor and sediment filters.
I don't know how deep the well is we bought the house 5 years ago. I'm guessing 30 ft deep? I been thinking about putting in a under the sink filter for drinking water anyway. But wife now worried about iron stains on bath tub and fixtures as well as washing clothes.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:08 PM
Wallhanger

How close it the new point to where the old point was? You may be in virgin sand and it may take a while to purify itself.
Old 03-06-2015, 05:53 PM
Keeper

How large (diam) is your well casing the point is in?? Does it have a topside check valve or a foot valve?? You replaced the 3/4 with 1 inch . Did you make it the same length or go deeper/shallower?

I am looking for variables that changed here.

In my last post(other thread) , I stated that I went with a 1/2 HP to replace a 1/2 HP on my shallow well.
I did not go to the 3/4....not because of extra cost.....but......I was advised to change as little as possible if I liked my original water quality. That changing flow rate may screw up the "draw".

No real knowledge on my part....but perhaps the 1 inch increased the draw...

Anything different besides the pipe size??????????
Old 03-06-2015, 09:15 PM
Charter Member

You need to talk to a well guy. Doesn't seem that anything should have changed, but the new pump even the same size may be much more efficient and moving more water and faster. That could disturb the well for a while.

You might need to shock the well with bleach for ? number of hours then let it run out a garden hose for hours to flush the system.

I have to think that the well will settle down sooner or later. I would still talk to a knowledgeable well guy. Money well spent.

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."
Old 03-10-2015, 07:10 AM
Wallhanger

I didn't touch the well, I didn't even open it, the check valve stayed on the top of the sand point. All I did was put a new jet pump on same size pump, and go from a 3/4" suction to a 1" suction line from well pipe to pump (about 5 feet of 1" suction pipe) water still taste of bad iron. I think I am going to try going back to a 3/4" suction.