Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
while fishing the Winnipeg River at Pine Falls - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 10-23-2001, 10:47 AM
nroAtkin

Default while fishing the Winnipeg River at Pine Falls

Just got back from a meeting with representatives of Sagkeeng First Nation in regards to Treaty netting on the Winnipeg River. Concerns have been raised over the past 4-5 years over the conflict of anglers and nets. First Nations people have the constitutional right to fish for food utilizing nets. Treaty persons from Sagkeeng have had nets ran over, and, in some cases, vandalized. I would like to let people know that often these nets are marked with javex jugs on both ends, however they are hard to see. Please be on the lookout for nets, and be aware that if you are found tampering with a net (cutting/vadalizing) charges could be laid under the criminal code for vandalism. Manitoba Conservation and Sagkeeng are undertaking educational avenues to limit the number of conflicts, including posting this notice on this Web site. I encourage all anglers to respect First Nations nets, and enjoy the angling that has made Manitoba popular for anglers.

Good fishing, see you on the water.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2001, 12:05 PM
Fishingdog

Default RE: while fishing the Winnipeg River at Pine Falls

All due respect for the rights allowed to the fisherman of the natives. I for one would never vandalize or in any way get into any kind of confrontation over this issue. That being said, I do not believe in their practices. We all need to progress as times change, technology improves and opportunities change. There is much more money in the sport fishing industry than there will ever be in the commercial taking of walleye. Yes, a few can make money on commercial fishing in the region but the entire economy of Manitoba is impacted so much more intensely from the sport fishing industry than will ever be made on commercial fishing. Why not divert these people's occupation to one of better income with guiding, lodges, and other issues dealing with the wonderous natural resources that Manitoba has to offer? Heck, I would rather see a fraction of the fishing licenses go the tribes to help educate and support their progress into the 21st century. Actually the cost of the Manitoba license is sooo cheap that I would not hesitate to pay more as a non-resident. No, I am not a Democrat, and no, I am not a liberal Republican, I am quite conservative, I just think that we sometimes are a little to stubborn to change.

If they net to use it to feed their family, that is one thing, but to net commercially to make an income and feed their family, their could be much more stable and better ways to do this.

Just an opinion from a non-resident who lives in ND with many of the same issues. Yes, I have a personal agenda but couldn't we all benefit from it? I think so.
Old 10-23-2001, 12:17 PM
raiman

Mr NroAtkins;

I was interested to read your message. Wondering if in your meeting there was discussion on this years harvest. Specifically, was there any word on the success vs. past years. Netting practices and violations thereof is a perennial issue which raises in profile every fall. Continued discussion amongst all parties; commercial fisherman, First Nations and anglers is so nessecary and is welcomed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2001, 04:34 PM
Charter Member

i totally agree with the comment fromm fishingdog he probaly knows f
first hand what can happen with over use of commercial fishing there once was a great walleye factory in a very big lake namely redlake and upper red lake ....not much left but crappie now .i live on lake wpg and have also noticed its weird this year so for any anglers who feel there not doing something right dont worry it will pick-up.there will be some pros who say not having a problem ,but its a little slow right now
Old 11-13-2001, 04:57 AM
Minnow

I live in Winnipeg, and I fish Pine Falls regularily.

Our first nation friends are ruining the fishery. Anyone can go to a Veterens Legion hall or hotel to buy pickeral so our friends can have bingo money. I am upset with our government for not clamping down on these guys. I have a cottage at Bird Lake. In the spring our friends go down the river and net the pickeral. Our fish don't have a chance in the spring. On our road this fall we regularily seen moose. This year our friends shot them. What do you have to pay to get these leaches from over killing our wildlife and fish. I would support their right to feed their families, but not everyone elses for bingo money.

Natives please keep catching and killing, until everythings gone and you *******s all starve!

Paul
Old 11-13-2001, 10:38 AM
Wallhanger

Walleye Wizard, you have a very closed minded, stereotypical point of view. You can't just go around blaming a specific group of people for our depleted natural resources. Especially if that group happens to have a different colour skin than you. That's how you get pegged as a racist SOB.

Why don't you go and use your vast knowledge of resource management and aboriginal bingo to do some good.

If you really knew anything about these issues, you would understand that the wasteful consumption of resources for profit is common to every human race, especially our own. The issue is a lot more complicated than you describe it, and most of the problems are rooted in our government.

If you already knew all this and actually have some usefull insight, then you really need to work on your communication skills.
Old 11-14-2001, 02:49 PM
Minnow

Follow up to #5 post....

I would like to tell you all that I am not a racist toward our first nation people.

The Swan Lake band near Brandon, are a group of first nation people that are farmers. They farm grain to feed their buffalo and elk, and work hard. Other Bands have entrepenuerial spirit that us white guys would be enveious and proud of.

Specificly, I am targeting the 150 plus nets on the mouth of Pine Falls or the Red River. I am also targeting the white people that buy the fish and wildlife. Is it fair that our first nation sportsmen can get together, and party hunt with 40 men, and shoot everything that moves? They pile the elk, moose, and deer carcases until the refrigerated semi trailer is full. Who buys shotgun shells in the springtime? It is our native people that have a right under the treaty. Sadly there are enough white people given the opportunity that would steal our resources too, for their own greed or profit.

Do substance hunters need to hunt all night with spotlights? If white people act this way I hope they starve too. We have to look after our resources, not rape them.

How many walleye are saved from the filleting knife when sport fisherman have to put back walleye over 15 inches? Real sportsmen don't take the big ones. The square hooks kill more walleyes than round ones.

And for the record, there are white commercial fisherman selling their pickeral too. Prodominatelly the fisherman at Pine Falls happen to be native Canadian and not white-skinned.

At least we agree that the system created by the government is wrong.
For every 100 good first nation people there has to be at least one bad apple, just like our white people. They have a treaty that gives them the opportunity to take advantage of the system if they want, and the resource management over license holders is just as important as the ones exempt.

By the way, if there wasn't a problem between the sport-fisherman and the treaty-fisherman the natural resource officer would not have made this post. If you want to play the race card, why didn't you follow up with the social-worker-bleading-heart, bad-childhood card.

The harvesting of wildlife for financial gain in wrong, and I would without any regret, turn in a white poacher too.

Paul.

Old 11-14-2001, 06:43 PM
Gary

I've always wanted this one questioned answered, "Do the First Nations realize that over fishing will kill the resource?" This also goes for hunting. I understand the need for making a living and putting food on the table, but when the resources are gone/depleted, will the blame be put on the "white" man and for "him" to fix? Face it, the land cannot support the population the way it use to before the "white" man came.

Now you may "Here's a racist @$$%*[email protected]", but my two boys have full treaty rights, and my in-laws are respectful of what the land has given them, and believe me they have to respect for those who fish/hunt for beyond one's immediate needs.

I have seen non-native/non-white (re:Asian), fish the waters from shore and boat and keep everything they catch. Whether the catch is 6 inches long or a 30 inch walleye. THAT! Peeves me off!. There is one instance where an individual passes himself off as First Nation and nets a river while the walleye are running up at the Narrows.

I have no patience with those who abuse the resource whether they be red, white, yellow or brown.

And as for those FN people, who say it is their land and they'll do as they please, go ahead, but don't come crying to me when your nets can no longer be filled. Nuff said.
Old 11-15-2001, 10:01 AM
walleye warrior

Wow, right on Gary. Is all this a problem as discussed here? YES!! Is it a rascist, native issue only NO!!
My two cents as a white guy, pretty much catch and release angler is this. If you really have serious problems with these issues speak up. Not gripe and belly ache to your fellow anglers, the locals on the water. Make your views known to CO's Fisheries departments, etc etc etc, where it matters. Join a fish and game club whose focus is conservation. If you arent trying to correct the problem maybe you are part of the problem????
As Gary stated,I have seen far too many problems with people of all kinds than to have to start singling out races. I also know people from a variety of races that also try to conserve and guard over our natural resource, so it can also work the other way.

WW

www.walleyewarrior.com
Old 11-16-2001, 04:31 PM
Wallhanger

Well, all I'm saying is that sadly, the nature of most humans is to take and consume without thinking about the consequences or impacts that it'll have on tomorrow. We need legislation to tell us what we can and can't do, and unfortunately it's not doing the job well enough. First Nations people have the right to make up their own rules when it comes to natural resource consumption, and this right is being abused too often.

I think if everybody else was allowed to do the same thing, ie. white people, many of us would abuse the resources too. Actually, we already do, but the impacts aren't quite as evident. Out of sight, out of mind.

If there were no road to or boat launch or sport fishing at Pine Falls, do you think anybody would care how many nets are out there? I don't think so.