Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Overboard - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 05-10-2020, 02:44 PM
Keeper

Default Overboard

It happens in an instant, and without warning. We had not even put our lines in...

Pulled up on our spot, dropped in the bow mount, went back to the console to set a course, and next thing I see is my 10 year old getting bumped by our guest who was back to back with him and in he went.

He normally is very good about putting on his lifejacket at the launch. I noticed on our way out, he had not, so reminded him. He put it on and not 2 minutes later he was enjoying 50 degree water.

I admit I am complacent about wearing mine. I will be looking at inflatable ones now, for us all.

A very haunting experience to say the least. He is okay bty.

Stay safe!

...||| 2013 .1775. PRO-V SE ---
......\ ----115 MERC 4 STROKE -------
[|||] ------------------------------------- >>>
....../ ---.TERROVA WITH LINK -------
...||| 858c|858c DI|898c SI ---
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2020, 03:16 PM
Wallhanger

In 50 degree water I'm in a mustang survival suit all day...I fish a lot alone a long way away from anyone...kinda hard to buy multiples but for you, yup..gotta be careful in cold water. sounds like it ended OK!
Old 05-10-2020, 03:32 PM
Keeper

So glad things ended OK but it'll probably haunt your dreams - I had a similar experience and it still does me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2020, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight2205 View Post
It happens in an instant, and without warning.

A very haunting experience to say the least. He is okay bty.

Stay safe!
Truer words have not been spoken. Glad everyone is OK
Old 05-10-2020, 05:38 PM
Wallhanger

Glad he's ok. Great job insisting he put it on.

When mine were under 16 and too small for inflatables I made them wear regular pfd's any time the water was cold. In summer, only when the main motor was on and the inflatables when we were fishing. Dad wearing his 100% of the time was an example they couldn't argue with. I still keep a couple of regular PFDs in the boat and we all wear inflatables. Need to practice with the throwable.

Did he want to keep fishing?
Old 05-10-2020, 08:26 PM
Wallhanger

Inflatables are not legal for kids. I think it has do with the size of kids slipping out of adult size inflatables. 16 and over normally meets the 80lb human weight and chest size. You might want to check out the threads on cordless lanyards going on right now. It would not help using your electric motor. But you can give the kids there own remote. That sounds an alarm if they go in when you are running your outboard. I always wear my inflatable with a cordless lanyard system. You might already know this. Inflatables only count as a life vest if you are wearing them. So if you have three people in your boat wearing inflatables. You really should have three regular life vests still in the boat. That way if you take the inflatables off for awhile . You are still legal.

Last edited by Snowking; 05-10-2020 at 08:33 PM.
Old 05-10-2020, 10:27 PM
Keeper

Good info, thanks.

We went straight back after stripping him of all wet clothing and putting him in my ice armour bibs and parka. Air temps in the 30s, continuing fishing was no option.

Thanks all.

...||| 2013 .1775. PRO-V SE ---
......\ ----115 MERC 4 STROKE -------
[|||] ------------------------------------- >>>
....../ ---.TERROVA WITH LINK -------
...||| 858c|858c DI|898c SI ---
Old 05-11-2020, 12:44 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowking View Post
Inflatables are not legal for kids. I think it has do with the size of kids slipping out of adult size inflatables. 16 and over normally meets the 80lb human weight and chest size. You might want to check out the threads on cordless lanyards going on right now. It would not help using your electric motor. But you can give the kids there own remote. That sounds an alarm if they go in when you are running your outboard. I always wear my inflatable with a cordless lanyard system. You might already know this. Inflatables only count as a life vest if you are wearing them. So if you have three people in your boat wearing inflatables. You really should have three regular life vests still in the boat. That way if you take the inflatables off for awhile . You are still legal.
Glad he was okay. That's a scary situation. Good on you for making sure he had a PFD on

As for the legality of an inflatable for kids, a 13 -15 year old can wear them.

There is nothing illegal about it, they just won't technically "count." So make sure to have a foam vest accessible. If it's legal for them to wear nothing at all, then it's not illegal to wear one.

My boys are getting inflatables for their 13th Birthday.

Kudos again Dad!!!

"If you're wise enough to wear a seatbelt in your truck.....you're wise enough to wear a life jacket in your boat....." (B-man)

Grady White 208 Hard-top 200 Yami
Lund Pro V 1660 60 HP Merc
Pro-Line 24 wa 250 Verado (sold)
Lund 186 Tyee 175 Verado (sold)
Ram 2500 Cummins

Last edited by B-man; 05-11-2020 at 01:16 AM.
Old 05-11-2020, 03:53 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
There is nothing illegal about it, they just won't technically "count." So make sure to have a foam vest accessible. If it's legal for them to wear nothing at all, then it's not illegal to wear one.
Exactly how I handled it once they were old enough not to wear the foam one all the time. It's second nature now to put the vest on. Was out week before last and one son's girlfriend was along. She didn't want to wear a pfd and he insisted. We were one inflatable short so he gave her his and wore the foam. Water-47 degrees.
Old 05-11-2020, 06:53 AM
Wallhanger

Ok I guess illegal was the wrong word. If a vest says adult only. I think I would have only let large older kids wear them. If kids are to small for the adult size inflatables. Why would you not have them wear regular life vests. I can see if you are using a 14 foot boat with a 6 hp tiller. If you are going 40 plus mph. I think I would want a vest that would stay on a small kid.