Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
HELP!! Hi Pitch Winding/Squealing Noise/Power Steering Pump - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 04-15-2021, 06:48 PM
Slot Fish

Default HELP!! Hi Pitch Winding/Squealing Noise/Power Steering Pump

So I have a ‘18 Verado Pro 4 Stroke and yesterday while fishing I happened to grab rod holders from back rear compartment and while verado was still idling I hear this really loud hi pitched winding/squealing sound that appeared to be coming from power steering pump...I’m original owner and can’t say I’ve ever heard this kind of noise before coming from the pump and not sure what the cause is...the pump does have fluid as when I took the cap off it was still pretty full and didn’t appear down a noticeable amount. I assume this pump is constantly running as long as motor is on and running so maybe this noise is normal but doubt it...I noticed no steering issues while out and steering wheel turns very easy and has a little tension when turn the wheel but not noticeably different. Any thoughts on why all of a sudden this hi pitched winding sound is coming from the pump? Some say low fluid, bad relay, air in the lline etc....this is the original pump and oil and has had no work done on it, and again fluid levels seem to be at normal levels. Typically would u have to refill power steering fluid into pump on a regular basis? Fluid is very clear when checked. Could it need new fluid? I did have a dead battery before went out and used a jump pack on AGM starting battery which read 11.8 volts and I restarted motor and volts then read 14.5V...Would low voltage maybe cause the hi pitched winding squealing noise?

I’m at a loss what could be the issue and causing the noise. Anyone have any thoughts maybe what it could be??

Thanks. Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2021, 08:35 AM
Charter Member

Eyes,
If it were my rig, I would drain and change the power steering fluid to see if the situation changes.

If not - I would take the rig in for servicing. Possibly a new pump is going to be needed.

----------------------------
A few links on cause and effect.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sque...hrome&ie=UTF-8

-----------------------------

p.s.
Any time that I had a noise from a power steering system, it was either because the fluid was low - caused by a leak somewhere, or because the pump was ready to fail.

In either case - the noise is a warning of an issue with the system. Find and fix the defect.

p.p.s.
A video on Verado power steering:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKa9ppiGWu4

p.p.p.s.
Trouble shooting power steering issue - (listen carefully) - you may have to play the video a few times to understand the speaker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSYWwljew5I

Best wishes

Last edited by REW; 04-16-2021 at 08:41 AM.
Old 04-16-2021, 09:48 AM
Slot Fish

REW, i do not see any noticeable leaks anywhere around the hoses or around the pump. What is the easiest way to drain the existing oil in the small holding tank of the pump? The oil is the original that came with pump when got the boat new in ‘18...Can the power steering fluid go bad? I’ve taken the cap off the pump and can see what looks like plenty of power steering fluid and appears to b very clear and runny. The pump should always be running while the motor is on correct? I’ve never heard it sound like I described before in my post. Again the steering wheel/motor turns normal and is not stiff and seems to b fine. Is it typical for the pump to go bad in 3yrs? I took a video of the sound it’s making and would post it if I could so U could hear the noise. Thanks for any input. Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2021, 01:46 AM
Keeper

Check to see if your pump is getting hot or if the lines are getting hot, sure sign of pump or lines are to short causing oil to get to hot. This will cause noise and shut down from overheating. And yes low voltage will cause noise and other issues as the power steering draws heavily especially if you troll a lot or run at low rpm's...Chico...
Old 04-17-2021, 05:58 AM
Wallhanger

I changed my pump oil after seal failure at 300 hours (10 years old). There is a simple air bleed procedure that you can Google. I'd try that first. Years ago I remember a damper/shunt being available to reduce the whining but have not heard much about that problem for over a decade. http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/022457.html

Outside chance it could be a bad pump bearing!

Marty
Old 04-18-2021, 03:44 PM
Slot Fish

I have not noticed the pump getting hot nor the lines, but I will keep an eye on this. How hot would the pump and lines need to b that it would b an issue? When u say are they hot , Hot as in can’t touch or just warm to the touch? The oil level was down some and I refilled up near to the top, as there was no fill line mark located on the small holding tank where fluid goes into. I used the boat today and ran the motor a while putting some miles on and motor still acts fine and turns with ease and voltage is near 14.5v. The high pitched whining noise is still prevalent tho and didn’t go away with putting more power steering fluid in and turning the motor back and forth as some suggested if air was in the lines. I asked one of the service guys at my local marina and he said it’s normal for they’re to be some noise and can b quite noticeable. I assume if the pump failed my steering would be very difficult, but it isn’t and steers normal. The length of lines seem pretty long to me, as they go from the pump in back compartment and wrap up and around compartment and back to motor, probably at least I’d say a good 4 ft of hose line, is that suitable or too short? I would think since Lund/mercury manufactured boat that they would have put the necessary length of hose lines in.
Old 04-18-2021, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

Eyes,
To bleed a hydraulic system, one may need to cycle the system a lot to insure that all of the system has been removed.

As a start, I would suggest that you cycle your steering system - lock to lock at least 100 times. That is 100 times one direction and 100 times in the opposite direction - full lock to lock.

It may or may not make any difference, but your shoulders and upper body will get a minor work out doing the air purging.

Best wishes.
Old 04-18-2021, 06:33 PM
Slot Fish

REW...below is a pic of the inside of the pump that i took....not sure what those metal like posts are in the pic that r inside the pump that are standing up, but I thought the fluid level was low so I filled up above those posts in the pic just below the screw on top. I’m not sure what the hole in the middle of that metal post/rod means, does fluid go down that center hole? Are you also thinking that there’s air in the lines as to y the lines need to be purged to get air out? If there are no leaks how else could air have gotten in the lines? If I crank the wheel in both directions 100 times each, if there is air in the lines where will it end up getting pushed out? I will try this what u suggested and see what happens. Do you think this could be causing the hi pitched whining noise?

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A01B49D3-8845-44E4-8634-EBB915A78783_1618791798891.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	325778  
Old 04-20-2021, 06:39 AM
Charter Member

Note the procedure:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/10...o.html?page=21

---------
As indicated in the instructions - the bleeding procedure is completed with the fill cap off of the reservoir. That way, when air is bled from the internals and the lines - the air can come out of the system through the open fill hole in the reservoir.

Good luck
Old 04-23-2021, 06:34 PM
Minnow

Have you had any luck solving this?

I got my boat out of storage a couple weeks ago and I have noticed my PS is making a noise similar to what you describe.