Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Repower or Repair? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 05-04-2021, 08:48 PM
Minnow

Default Repower or Repair?

Brought my 70 hp Yamaha 2-stroke motor into Kettle Marine in Feb. because the motor was running rough and cut out a couple times. Last outing of the fall it ran really rough, and overheat alarm went off, and seemed to have white smoke (tough to tell, as that was Dec. 10th and air temp was 25).

1st visit they went through the motor found a broken fin on the impeller, and a couple of small items. They replaced the impeller. They ran it and alarm did not go off.

I took it out, overheat alarm went off after 10 minutes.

2nd visit they went in deeper and found the broken fin in the water line, and found missing O-rings on the line attachments for the water line, and found low water pressure. They made the fixes, did a compression test (110 on all cylinders), and ran it for 30 minutes on idle and did a temp check on the motor (130F) after 30 min. Replaced the water pump, replaced the O-rings.

I took it out, no issues with idle, but after 3-5 minutes on plane overheat went off and it shut down. Started back up, ok on idle, shut down on plane again. Actually ran smooth until shut down.

3rd time in for service - So, it looks like a blew out at least 1 piston ring. Compression test was 110 4 weeks ago, 100 a week ago. Tests showed a 40% leak.

I was quoted a rebuild of up to $4500.

Motor is likely somewhere over 1000 hrs.

If the rebuild was under $2000, I would go that route, but for some reason the 70 Yamaha is tough to rebuild. I checked online and found the shops I could ship it to only do 90hp Yamaha and up.

I am deciding whether to fix or repower. Kettle Marine quoted a price of $7300 for a 2021 Merc 75 hp. That may be the only 75/90 motor left in Wisconsin. No one else had one in stock. They dropped the cost of the earlier visits off the price of the 2021.

After I added throttle controls, Itroll/with Hunt mode, and a Bluetooth connection module (I can get all the readouts on my phone instead of getting smart gauges), with installation, cost is $9300.

I was hoping to repower with a 90, but I will have to sit out the summer, no Mercs are available until Sept or later, no Yamaha until 2022.

Any opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2021, 09:17 PM
Wallhanger

Since you have a older 2 stroke I'm assuming the hull is older also? If you fork the money out for new you are committing to running the rig a long time. Not that thats a bad thing but you need to understand you will never get your money back out of a new engine for at least 10 years. Either way you are keeping the boat for quite a while. I think I would keep looking for a used motor to hang on it. Call Kovash Marine in Morehead Minnesota and see if he has a Suzuki laying around he would sell you.

Good luck, let us know what you decide to do.
Old 05-04-2021, 09:28 PM
Minnow

Hanging it on a 2002 Lund 1675 Explorer SS. Aluminum, no issues. Usual dock rash, deck is good, no leaks. Boat has been fished hard. I am making sure the transom is ok tomorrow.

Based on internet research:

In the current market, I would get my money back, but I doubt this will last.

In the current market a similar boat 2002 to 2006 will go 8-12,000 with original motor, with a repower probably 12 to 14.

A 2014 would likely go 20K or more.

If I want to retire in 10 years a new boat is out, so I likely will be sticking with this one.

Still parsing everything, but I have to pull the trigger quick or hitch rides for the summer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2021, 09:57 PM
Wallhanger

My son and I rebuilt a similar craft last winter and spring. The original came with no engine, so we had to repower. After searching for well over 3 mo. we found a same yr 2002, 100hp 2s Johnson at a marine repair shop in Sheboygan. He takes a few engines and completely goes thru them over the winter months and then sells them in the spring. $4000 and hung on the boat with controls. Had it out over the weekend and fully loaded we got her up to 38mph, plenty good for us.
Old 05-05-2021, 05:28 AM
Wallhanger

First off, kudos to your shop for taking cash off the new motor for those past visits.

If you are going to hang on to the boat for 10 years, buy the new motor. (That is assuming you think the transom and deck will make it 10 years)

Oh, and when you do go to sell that boat, you may want to consider selling the boat and motor separate...you may actually make more money that way.
Old 05-05-2021, 05:51 AM
Slot Fish

make sure transmom is good. If not sell boat as is and let buyer's' know or trade,call around to other dealers. I would look at repower with another yamaha, same controls, wiring etc and honestly probably a better motor than merc. if looking at other brands seriously look into suzuki. Bayside outdoors has them. Great place.

Used options may be out there too. This posts should be a huge lesson to all of us. Maintenance goes along way. Chances are if that impeller wouldn't have failed the motor would be OK still.

-
Old 05-05-2021, 06:28 AM
Keeper

IMO If you're keeping it into retirement I'd suck it up for this Summer and plan to get the transom replaced and hang a new four-stroke on it. A 2002 is going to have some rot.
Old 05-05-2021, 09:41 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofishy4u View Post
make sure transom is good. If not sell boat as is and let buyer's' know or trade,call around to other dealers. I would look at repower with another yamaha, same controls, wiring etc and honestly probably a better motor than merc. if looking at other brands seriously look into suzuki. Bayside outdoors has them. Great place.

Used options may be out there too. This posts should be a huge lesson to all of us. Maintenance goes along way. Chances are if that impeller wouldn't have failed the motor would be OK still.

-
The only used I found in that class are pushing over 5000, as much as 6800. At those prices new is better., I think. If I go used back past 2010, I figure the chances of issues are pretty high. The impeller was actually less than a year old. Current mechanic thought the last one screwed up on the replacement, and possibly forgot the O-rings.
Old 05-05-2021, 09:44 AM
Minnow

Boat is a 2002 Lund 1675 Explorer SS. I am the original owner. Mechanic is checking the transom, before I will make a final decision, but I am not a small guy (280 lbs) and I stand on it when I get out, no give at all. I have checked it without pulling the metal off (putting stress on it) and did find anything troubling.
Old 05-05-2021, 10:20 AM
Wallhanger

FYI, replacing your transom is NOT that difficult. We had to do it with the rebuild we did. Drill out any rivets, remove all of the bolts and get the cap off carefully without bending or cracking. Use the old board as a template or use a piece of cardboard to create the pattern. It just takes time, effort, some not so nice words, and a little blood, and it comes out. No need for marine grade plywood just a good exterior grade built up to the correct thickness, using a quality exterior grade glue. Sealing it is the most important part, there are many ways to get it done. Use a belt sander to fit it. Use new quality stainless bolts and stainless rivets (we purchased a pneumatic rivet gun, great investment for $20) making sure to seal inside every hole and penetration. When drilling the bolt holes go part way thru the board from both sides and the holes will line up. The whole process took about 3 days, while I struggled to get the old one out, my son glued up the new one and started sealing it, by the time I got it out, it was ready for cutting, sealing the edges and reinstall.

Re-doing a deck is also not really that tough, just time consuming. We used 1/2 and 5/8 BCX, sealed it well and purchased the new vinyl flooring and pneumatic staple gun. Some vinyl adhesive and a gross of razor blades, and some You tube videos and you can do it too.

Note: have the SPACE to get it done, expect to screw up, take your time, buy everything you need ahead of time, and take pride in a job well done. Places are charging over $1200 to replace the transom, we had about $140 in materials. And I will guarantee this transom is better than the one put in originally.