Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
looked at a 620fs a picture boat? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 04-13-2019, 07:22 PM
Slot Fish

Default looked at a 620fs a picture boat?

ok, looked at this pretty boat today, was told 2019 picture boat, used by the factory. Had 10 hours on it, Ranger cup but with Lowrance Carbons instead of the websites Lowrance Live.

Comes with a little discount. Ok, so why would it have the Lowrance Carbons. Can someone tell me what all this is about?
Helix 9, low carbon 9 and carbon 12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2019, 05:03 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastarget View Post
ok, looked at this pretty boat today, was told 2019 picture boat, used by the factory. Had 10 hours on it, Ranger cup but with Lowrance Carbons instead of the websites Lowrance Live.

Comes with a little discount. Ok, so why would it have the Lowrance Carbons. Can someone tell me what all this is about?
Weren't Carbons the latest and greatest before the announcement of the LIVE? The boat was probably built last June or July before the LIVE came out.
NPAA#89
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
Vexus DVX22 Merc 400 Verado
Humminbird Helix 12s
MinnKota Terrova 112
Old 04-14-2019, 07:53 AM
Slot Fish

Thank you for the reply,

Ok, that would make sense, since the Ranger website no longer lists Carbon models.

What is a photo boats? 10 hours on the engine is break-in time, so no big deal, salesman said 3k discount plus structure scan installed, that they typically dont discount much due to map pricing?
Helix 9, low carbon 9 and carbon 12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2019, 09:07 AM
Wallhanger

Im going to make a guess and say this boat was used to shoot promotional pictures with for their advertisements. Technically a used boat even though virtually new, perhaps they cannot sell as new, hence the discounts.
Just to note, there is a big difference between carbon and Live series graphs with regards to active imaging and Livesight. If you value the latest in sonar technology then you'd already be behind. If you're happy with the level that the Carbons can do( and it's alot ) then it's a non issue. I would still tell the salesman it was a big issue to try and get a better deal.
9.9hp Tohatsu kicker
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 lithium batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
3 12" graphs- Lowrance Live,Carbon and Simrad EVO 3
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 trimtabs
Traxstech 72" tracks, Berts 24" tracks on each gunnel
2 Big Jon Capt packs riggers
Lowrance autopilot
MK 15' Talon
Old 04-14-2019, 10:14 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrain View Post
Just to note, there is a big difference between carbon and Live series graphs with regards to active imaging and Livesight.
Active imaging transducers work on both the Carbons and the Lives. Livesight works direct off a Live and with a box on the Carbons. I'd hardly call that a big difference.

Last month at the Edmonton Boat & Sportsmens Show, Lowrance had like a 40' board setup of all their electronics. I talked to the rep they brought in from the States about upgrading from Carbons to Lives. He just laughed and said there was no real benefits. He had to buy his electronics out of pocket and was staying with his Carbons.

Is there a difference between Carbons and Lives? Yes. Is there a big difference between Carbons and Lives? Depends on whether you drink the Kool Aid and/or get your units free/discounted from Lowrance to say there is.

BTW, I bought a similar promotional boat from Lund many years ago. It was a great deal and better rigged than the typical dealer would put out.
Old 04-14-2019, 11:48 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertan View Post
Active imaging transducers work on both the Carbons and the Lives. Livesight works direct off a Live and with a box on the Carbons. I'd hardly call that a big difference.

Last month at the Edmonton Boat & Sportsmens Show, Lowrance had like a 40' board setup of all their electronics. I talked to the rep they brought in from the States about upgrading from Carbons to Lives. He just laughed and said there was no real benefits. He had to buy his electronics out of pocket and was staying with his Carbons.

Is there a difference between Carbons and Lives? Yes. Is there a big difference between Carbons and Lives? Depends on whether you drink the Kool Aid and/or get your units free/discounted from Lowrance to say there is.

BTW, I bought a similar promotional boat from Lund many years ago. It was a great deal and better rigged than the typical dealer would put out.
Is that Livesight Carbon box released yet? thought it wasn't coming til September not to mention this nugget I grabbed off BBC

"Supposedly, we are going to need a PS1-1 box as well to use livesight (about $300 more). Which is may not be released until some time later. And if we want both down and forward live view, we will need a 2nd livesight transducer, head unit, and PS1-1 (if you have two carbon units). However, some people believe you may be able to make some type of mount to move the livesight transducers from forward to down."

To me that's a HUGE difference even bigger than I previously thought: 2 boxes, 2 ps1 boxes , 2 transducers that's thousands.

That all being said Carbons are sweet units, they do alot,wish I could afford them myself. Just wanted to let the OP know the difference in tech and what he's comfortable with, if it's worth the discount to him.
9.9hp Tohatsu kicker
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 lithium batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 trimtabs
Lowrance autopilot
MK 15' Talon
Old 04-14-2019, 12:41 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Is that Livesight Carbon box released yet? thought it wasn't coming til September not to mention this nugget I grabbed off BBC

"Supposedly, we are going to need a PS1-1 box as well to use livesight (about $300 more). Which is may not be released until some time later. And if we want both down and forward live view, we will need a 2nd livesight transducer, head unit, and PS1-1 (if you have two carbon units). However, some people believe you may be able to make some type of mount to move the livesight transducers from forward to down."

To me that's a HUGE difference even bigger than I previously thought: 2 boxes, 2 ps1 boxes , 2 transducers that's thousands.

That all being said Carbons are sweet units, they do alot,wish I could afford them myself. Just wanted to let the OP know the difference in tech and what he's comfortable with, if it's worth the discount to him.
This probability isnt the place to be discussing this, but...

Ltrain, I think you’re a little confused about how the LiveSight transducer works.

It can either look forward, or down, but not both at the same time. The transducer is on a fixed mount one way or the other. My understanding is the Garmin unit has a mechanism to allow the angle to be changed without having to pull it out of the water or needing any tools, the Lowrance does not.

The comment about needing two transducer for forward and down is related to this. The primary point was that in order to not have to manually change the orientation all the time or have the option to quickly use both, you’d need two livesight transducers. Thus the last sentence in that quote. That would be true for BOTH the Carbon and the Live units.

Other than the delay until July/August to get the black box, there is currently NO DIFFERENCE in how the LiveSight transducer works on the Carbons vs the Live units. That may change in the future, in fact I’d say it’s likely, but for now, that’s the case.

Waxy
Old 04-14-2019, 01:05 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
This probability isnt the place to be discussing this, but...

Ltrain, I think you’re a little confused about how the LiveSight transducer works.

It can either look forward, or down, but not both at the same time. The transducer is on a fixed mount one way or the other. My understanding is the Garmin unit has a mechanism to allow the angle to be changed without having to pull it out of the water or needing any tools, the Lowrance does not.

The comment about needing two transducer for forward and down is related to this. The primary point was that in order to not have to manually change the orientation all the time or have the option to quickly use both, you’d need two livesight transducers. Thus the last sentence in that quote. That would be true for BOTH the Carbon and the Live units.

Other than the delay until July/August to get the black box, there is currently NO DIFFERENCE in how the LiveSight transducer works on the Carbons vs the Live units. That may change in the future, in fact I’d say it’s likely, but for now, that’s the case.

Waxy
I see but who wouldn't want to look forward AND down if you have Livesight? So currently you would need 2 for that capability correct?
Why couldn't Lowrance have a system in place like Garmins, and Garmin came out first, no excuse for Lowrance to not have that in place.
Just saying there is extra expense in not having Live units, how much is that Black box btw?
9.9hp Tohatsu kicker
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 lithium batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 trimtabs
Lowrance autopilot
MK 15' Talon
Old 04-14-2019, 01:39 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
I see but who wouldn't want to look forward AND down if you have Livesight? So currently you would need 2 for that capability correct?
Why couldn't Lowrance have a system in place like Garmins, and Garmin came out first, no excuse for Lowrance to not have that in place.
Just saying there is extra expense in not having Live units, how much is that Black box btw?
No, you’d just need a mount that would allow you to change the position of your single transducer from down to forward and vice versa. I agree that should have been part of the design, that was a miss by Lowrance for now. The aftermarket already has options for solving that problem, and I’m sure there’ll be more options,or even a Lowrance option, in short order. Of course, adding a second transducer is also another option if you’ve got the cash.

I’m not sure exactly, $200-300 I think, which is certainly less than the cost of upgrading from Carbon to Live units.

To the original OP, I would agree with ltrain’s advice on pushing for the Live units, they are better, and they are the latest and greatest, BUT, it certainly wouldn’t be a deal breaker for me. Just some added leverage on the sale price.

Waxy
Old 04-14-2019, 04:37 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastarget View Post

I purchased the 2018 “picture boat” which had about 20 hours on it, along with 12” and 9” Carbons and a few more upgrades. Got it for about a $3000 discount. Very happy with the deal.Click image for larger version

Name:	AB95EAD6-D7F1-470E-A915-B137F3008AA4.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	309244