Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Anyone have a G3 Angler 18ft with a 200hp? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 09-29-2021, 02:54 PM
Wallhanger

Default Anyone have a G3 Angler 18ft with a 200hp?

As the title states, I am looking to see if anyone has a G3 Angler 18ft with a 200hp outboard on it. I have a 2010 and it has a 150 yamaha. It certainly runs good but I was thinking about a repower and going with max hp when I do. Ideally, I would like to go with a 200sho. Has anyone been in one with a similar motor? What's the top end like? I am getting 46ish up river and have seen 50 down river.
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2021, 11:39 PM
Charter Member

With a 200 hp and the right prop you should be able to get to 48 - possibly higher.

If you want performance, put on an electric hydraulic jack plate to be able to tweak the height of the motor, as well as trim the motor for the optimum performance, no matter the throttle setting, the wind and waves or water and air temperatures.

Take care
Old 09-30-2021, 06:58 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
With a 200 hp and the right prop you should be able to get to 48 - possibly higher.

If you want performance, put on an electric hydraulic jack plate to be able to tweak the height of the motor, as well as trim the motor for the optimum performance, no matter the throttle setting, the wind and waves or water and air temperatures.

Take care
Well I would absolutely hope it would do 48mph, I mean my 150hp will do that. But I think if I do a repower I will contact g3 and see if a hydraulic jack plate is ok to add.
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2021, 07:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by egladding View Post
Well I would absolutely hope it would do 48mph, I mean my 150hp will do that. But I think if I do a repower I will contact g3 and see if a hydraulic jack plate is ok to add.
Here's the performance report from 2011 with the "small" 4-inline F200, I would think with the V-6 SHO it would be a beast!

HRG
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PB_G3B_AnglerV185FS_F200TXR_2011-06-15_ALM-(1).pdf (166.9 KB, 113 views)
Old 09-30-2021, 08:51 AM
Wallhanger

doing research on buying a new motor a couple years i read in a few different places that the government allows the motor manufacturers 10% of play on hp on motors, hence all the "HO" models, etec ho, merc pro xs, vfsho, so of course with that right prop so i'm pretty sure your bolting on a 220 hp when buying the vf200sho.. like my dealer told me when i got a vf115sho, its the same motor as they sell in the middle east, austrailia, and where ever overseas and they just change the label and call it a 130hp with no tuning involved, I'd get that vf200ho and never look back
Old 09-30-2021, 01:36 PM
Wallhanger

[QUOTE=Hot Runr Guy;6600334]
Quote:
Originally Posted by egladding View Post
Here's the performance report from 2011 with the "small" 4-inline F200, I would think with the V-6 SHO it would be a beast!

RG[/QUOTE

Man, I bet the 200sho would hit 55mph going down river for sure. I bet it would really crank with a 330hp tune. Lol!!
Old 09-30-2021, 01:38 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowfin123 View Post
doing research on buying a new motor a couple years i read in a few different places that the government allows the motor manufacturers 10% of play on hp on motors, hence all the "HO" models, etec ho, merc pro xs, vfsho, so of course with that right prop so i'm pretty sure your bolting on a 220 hp when buying the vf200sho.. like my dealer told me when i got a vf115sho, its the same motor as they sell in the middle east, austrailia, and where ever overseas and they just change the label and call it a 130hp with no tuning involved, I'd get that vf200ho and never look back
It’s sounding better every time I think about it! I believe my 150 still books for around 7k as well so that would be a good chunk of change down on the new motor.
Old 10-01-2021, 07:23 AM
Wallhanger

HRG's got the graph right there in black and white.. i saw one test pushing a 22 g3 bay boat, not sure of hull design but was pushing similar weight as his graph and ran at 58 mph

spitballing i'd bet it would be 54-56 mph

trading your old motor in at the dealer your gonna get about half of what you think its worth, i sold a low hour yamaha 75 off the back of the boat and my phone rang off the hook from craigslist

i priced a new vf250sho from my guy just in case back in feb , so it probably 18.5 - 19.5k for a shiny brand spankin new vf200sho, but way up in ny who knows
Old 10-01-2021, 11:23 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowfin123 View Post
HRG's got the graph right there in black and white.. i saw one test pushing a 22 g3 bay boat, not sure of hull design but was pushing similar weight as his graph and ran at 58 mph

spitballing i'd bet it would be 54-56 mph

trading your old motor in at the dealer your gonna get about half of what you think its worth, i sold a low hour yamaha 75 off the back of the boat and my phone rang off the hook from craigslist

i priced a new vf250sho from my guy just in case back in feb , so it probably 18.5 - 19.5k for a shiny brand spankin new vf200sho, but way up in ny who knows
Yeah, I would sell my motor outright for sure. I am fully expecting a 20k+|- price tag.
Old 10-06-2021, 06:52 AM
Charter Member

Also, if you notice the gallons per hour of fuel consumption in the performance report.

At a nice cruising rpm of 4000 rpm, the fuel consumption is 7 gallons per hour.

However, if you cruise flat out at 6000 rpm, the fuel consumption goes up to 17 gallons per hour.

Your hand is on the throttle, you choose the speed.

But, certainly if you want go power, the motor will supply it for you.