Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
300 magnum - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Archery, Blackpowder, Rifles, Pistols, Shotguns...and whatever else you have.

Old 10-01-2021, 10:24 AM
crazyboatguy

Default 300 magnum

There seems to be some knowledgable gun guys here. I just picked up a Weatherby in 300 win mag. Any recomondations for bullet weights for deer and also for elk ? Lighter kicking loads preffered, not that any are "light" !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2021, 11:50 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyboatguy View Post
There seems to be some knowledgable gun guys here. I just picked up a Weatherby in 300 win mag. Any recomondations for bullet weights for deer and also for elk ? Lighter kicking loads preffered, not that any are "light" !
Iím a handloader so for deer I would use a load similar to 30-06 ballistics with 150 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips or Hornady SSTís.
For Elk it would be full power loads of 180 grain Nosler Partitions or Speer Grand Slams.

I like my Weatherby Vanguard in 7mm REM Mag. Congrats on a nice rifle and make sure you can shoot it without closing your eyes and waiting for it to kick the snot out of you!!!
Live and die on this day......
Old 10-01-2021, 12:24 PM
Keeper

I load 140gr Ballistic tips in my 280 and they can be a bit explosive at high velocity. Like hitting a deer with a hand grenade. A 140 accubond will hold together and nicely mushroom on both elk , mule deer, whitetail and goats.

Although I don't load 300 win mags, I have load 7mm Reg Mag, 3006, 308, 35whelen.

My immediate suggestion if you are one rifle deer and elk hunting kind of guy is find a 165 grain bullet like a Nosler Accubond. At 300 Win Mag velocity this bullet will perform exceptionally well on both whitetail and elk. Honestly Elk are not hard to kill unless you don't hit the vitals. I rolled several with a .257rbts with 120 partition.

If you don't hand load you should be able to find a similar 165 gr load that will DRT any critter walking in the lower 48 and then some.

Having one load gives you the ability to know what it does at all ranges regardless of what your hunting or playing re-sighting in games for potential different impacts from the different loads.

As far as recoil... it is a 300 win mag. It is going to have some smack to it, If you hand load, try to find the most accurate load vs what is going to give you the most bone crushing velocity (mostly your shoulder) load.

enjoy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2021, 02:02 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
depends on twist for longer range....Ive shot a .300 for years including deer and elk. I find the 180 gr. to be the sweet spot in my rifle. my twist doesnt shoot lighter bullets well. 300 Win Mag is a kicker no way around it unless you brake it which Im not a fan of on a hunting rifle.
Old 10-01-2021, 02:21 PM
Wallhanger

As others say for optimum accuracy, experience with different powder, primers, bullets, cartridge overall length are factors. If you choose to get that technical that is more information than you will get on this forum.
Old 10-01-2021, 08:55 PM
crazyboatguy

Part of me is excited to shoot it part isn't. I am not going to handload for it as I don't have the opportunity to shoot it enough to work up loads. No rifle ranges close to me. It does have a brake which I agree is too loud when hunting. Something new to play with anyways.
Old 10-01-2021, 09:09 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Part of me is excited to shoot it part isn't. I am not going to handload for it as I don't have the opportunity to shoot it enough to work up loads. No rifle ranges close to me. It does have a brake which I agree is too loud when hunting. Something new to play with anyways.
At the cost of ammo itís a pretty pricey thing to try many types of store bought ammo. Heck itís not cheap to play with hand loads for that cartridge!!! Unless money is no object to you.
Old 10-01-2021, 09:30 PM
Wallhanger

Default My Introduction to the 300 WinMag Story

Quote:
Part of me is excited to shoot it part isn't.
I was 21 and fresh out of the Army. I had purchased a nice Remington 700BDL in 270 Win. A beautiful rifle that shot well. Well macho man that I
Thought I was decided I ďneededĒ that 300 WinMag. Purchased a nice wood stocked Interarms Mark X in said chambering. One trip to the range and the recoil cracked the stock at the palm swell and thought it broke my shoulder. (It was August and was only wearing a T-shirt) I looked at that rifle and thought to myself, ďThatís the last time you will hurt me you SOB.Ē

I traded it for a 243 Win the next day.

Since those days I have been able to overcome (for the most part ) inabilities of shooting the 300 magnums. It took some doing though!!! Make sure you have plenty of eye relief on the scope and a firm grip.

Let us know how you make out.
Old 10-02-2021, 05:52 AM
Wallhanger

I got a Tikka 300 WinMag, not the WSM that I've had for 20 years. Like others have said be prepared for the recoil and dont shoot it with just a tee shirt on on or you'll regret it.
I've only shot factory rounds through it and my gun pretty much only likes Winchester. Remington was the least accurate for it for some reason. Ive shot deer, bears unfortunately havent taken any moose with it. Pretty much the only bullets that I can find around here are 180 grain. Lighter loads are pretty much non existent.

Fisherman 1792
Old 10-03-2021, 08:08 PM
Slot Fish

Like others have said, you're slightly over gunned!