Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Crankbait Trolling Rod - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 10-02-2021, 06:33 AM
Slot Fish

Default Crankbait Trolling Rod

Did a quick search and didn’t find anything directly pertaining to my question: what rod action do I need for trolling crank baits for walleye?

I ask because I am using a medium heavy rod with a fast tip but lost several fish within 25’ of the boat. Seems like that last couple of head shakes would get them free. I was running #5 shad raps on 10# Power Pro.

I’m assuming that with the no stretch line I need a lighter action rod to absorb those head shakes closer to the boat?

TIA
Hook_settr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2021, 07:31 AM
Keeper

Something with moderate action would be much better. A slow soft action absorbs the shock much better and is less likely to pull hooks out of their mouth. A mono or flouro leader will help some too.
Old 10-02-2021, 07:55 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honkerslayer View Post
Something with moderate action would be much better. A slow soft action absorbs the shock much better and is less likely to pull hooks out of their mouth. A mono or flouro leader will help some too.
That’s what I was thinking too but wanted to get other opinions. I was running a 3’ flouro leader. Frustrating because no matter how much I didn’t horse them in, they would still throw the hook. Thanks for the response!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2021, 10:57 AM
Wallhanger

Medium heavy - ick

I am using 7 foot rods in both medium and medium light action for this application. Some may say medium light is too light but there is no industry standard and the stiffness varies from manufacture to manufacture.

I am running fast action rods. With a shad rap you could get by with a medium action rod. However, when running various stick baits they usually have a more subtle action than a shad rap and the extra feel with a fast action allows me to be aware of when the lure is not running correctly because it picked up a weed or possibly when a lure is out of tune.

Assuming that you are trolling, with your set up (braid) when a fish hits it can be quite violent so having a light drag setting is quite important till you get the boat slowed down or stopped to be able to fight the fish in with greater success.
Old 10-02-2021, 11:07 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Net_Man View Post
Medium heavy - ick

I am using 7 foot rods in both medium and medium light action for this application. Some may say medium light is too light but there is no industry standard and the stiffness varies from manufacture to manufacture.

I am running fast action rods. With a shad rap you could get by with a medium action rod. However, when running various stick baits they usually have a more subtle action than a shad rap and the extra feel with a fast action allows me to be aware of when the lure is not running correctly because it picked up a weed or possibly when a lure is out of tune.

Assuming that you are trolling, with your set up (braid) when a fish hits it can be quite violent so having a light drag setting is quite important till you get the boat slowed own down or stopped to be able to fight the fish in with greater success.
I used the MH Rod because that’s what I had lying around and I had just bought a line counter reel on impulse. I will definitely looking for an M or ML. Sounds like I was doing most things right (I had the drag loosened for the strike and was popping back into neutral on hook up) but I made a poor choice on the rod. I will rectify before I go out next time.

Thanks for your response.

Hook_settr
Old 10-02-2021, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

A 7'6" medium action glass or composite rod is ideal because of its much slower action.
Also, for particular areas where a person tends to lose a bunch of fish, run Berkley Big Game mono line all of the way to the hook or lure. That combination results in a setup that almost never loses a fish.

But, by all means - experiment, test and use the complete setup that works best for you and for the waters you fish.

Folks sometimes say that they can't feel a bite on a particular setup when trolling. I suppose that that happens, but when trolling, assuming that you have sharp hooks on your lures, the fish will set itself and be dragged around until the fisher person gets around to reeling in the fish.

Take care
Old 10-03-2021, 04:14 AM
Super Moderator

I've been running the one piece 7' medium Ugly Stiks for the past 21 years. Inexpensive rods that last forever. I put the money in the reels....not the rods.
NPAA#89
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
Vexus DVX22 Merc 400 Verado
Humminbird Helix 12s
MinnKota Terrova 112
Old 10-03-2021, 05:40 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juls View Post
I've been running the one piece 7' medium Ugly Stiks for the past 21 years. Inexpensive rods that last forever. I put the money in the reels....not the rods.
this^^

I run Ugly Stick elites.
Old 10-03-2021, 05:51 AM
Keeper

Quote:
I’m certainly not a Guide but I’ve been using the same rods as Juls for well over 20 years. Last year I switched to Sunline Super Natural on my reels for boards after reading one of Juls post, really like it.

Thanks Juls,
Donscs
Old 10-03-2021, 06:01 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Very popular rods, the New GX 2 series have better guides and reel seats than the older ones. I have rods in med and mediam heavy .Tried the Sunline but went back to braid. I make sure my hooks are razor sharp and between bites sharpen some of the hooks on my baits. You know...sometimes you can do everything right and they still get off, its fishing.

YouTube...Jim Lyon Fishing