Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Aerobus Lake - Lake Trout - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 05-08-2016, 06:19 PM
Keeper

Default Aerobus Lake - Lake Trout

Hi guys,

I am thinking about trying for Lake Trout on Aerobus Lake this summer (late July / early August)

I think I read in another thread that vertical jigging big blade baits (like the Heddon Sonar or the Reef Runner Cicada) might be good.

Can anybody give me some suggestions, such as....

1. Best color pattern on Aerobus

2. Best size / weight for getting down deep. (Since I will be fishing mid summer, I imagine the lakers will be down pretty deep at that time of the year)

Any information regarding best colar patterns and weight on the blade baits is much appreciated.

Thanks!
jackpotjohnny48
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2016, 08:30 PM
Wallhanger

Ive had the opportunity to fishvaerobus a few times.you can try all thoseclures but the best lure forclakers idca white 3-4"tube over a tube jig in thec1/4-3/8.better when it falls slower.i always tie a stinger hook on and use a 3" minnow.there usually in thd 50 ft range.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:43 PM
Wallhanger

You can troll using a three way set up or a clip on weight. Both work fine. In the summer I use 5 or 6 oz. of weight to get down to ~50-60 FOW with 100 feet of line out. You can troll a spoon or a minnow bait like a floating Rapala or X-Rap.

If you jig, I'd suggest a white tube jig or a paddletail swimbait. Typical ice fishing jigs are fine too - Swedish Pimple, Krocodile, Kastmaster. Whatever you use, something 1-1.5oz. is ideal to get your lure down to the bottom and keep it vertical. Unless of you can anchor of course.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2016, 06:59 AM
Wallhanger

In addition to the good advice already given I'd add just this:
- Add a fairly heavy blue/silver Little Cleo to your jigging arsenal,
- I like blade baits a bit heavier than the Cicadas, Sonars, etc. typically available in the tackle shop. You can find them online with a Google search.
- Blue/silver, black/silver, a bit of green have been the stickbait colors working best for me one Aerobus, but it pays to try some crazy, off beat colors, too. My best blade bait for lakers is a hand painted red and white ugly looking thing.

Good luck. I love getting back to Aerobus for lakers and try to do it one day each year early in the season. Post a report when you get back.