Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Rod Storage-Pole Barn - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 09-15-2021, 01:08 PM
Minnow

Default Rod Storage-Pole Barn

I am looking for ideas to store rods above my boat in a pole barn with 14 foot ceilings. Any ideas or pictures would be appreciated!

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2021, 01:21 PM
Wallhanger

Location: Land of 10,000 lakes, even more taxes and the state where the police are handcuffed.

Notch some PVC and hang them horizontally.
Old 09-15-2021, 01:51 PM
Wallhanger

I put boards up and took a 2" hole saw and cut holes in the boards about 12" apart in my pole barn for some of my rods but I have about 25 or 30 rods. but I only had one end and a few on the back side I could use because of all the junk I have in my pole barn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2021, 02:19 PM
Slot Fish

I just ordered 50 clips with a magnet to hold each rod
garmin 93sv
i troll
aqua traction
wave pro's
terrova 112
tracks
washdown
link 6 vhf
trim tabs

2023 Alumacraft 165 classic tiller
60 suzuki
Hds 12 pr0
terrova 80
Old 09-15-2021, 03:22 PM
Charter Member

Take some plywood, and build a box that is long enough for all of the rods.

For long term storage, remove the reels and lay all of the rods in the box tip to rod butt. That way you can get about 40 rods in a pretty small box. By keeping the rods covered and flat, they will stay in excellent condition.

Take care
Old 09-15-2021, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

Not sure what the nature of the pole building is, i.e., mouse-proof, but if vulnerable, I'd be a bit concerned in that rod handles with a trace of salt, or other smell stuff might end up being a target. Just sharing my thought.

Bill
Old 09-15-2021, 09:40 PM
Charter Member

Bill,
Correct.
That is one of the reasons that I suggest that you make a vermin proof box to lay out all of the rods that need to be stored.

Also, it is not a bad idea, before storing the rods, that you take them to a laundry tub and using simple green and a hand scrub brush and a tooth brush - scrub all of the rods, including the grips and reel seat. Also the length of the rod to get off any crusted on fish scales. This also tends to eliminate any salt from the sea or hands that attract the vermin.

p.s.
If you decide to do a horizontal storage - do not use two or three mounts along studs for the storage. Rather use a guarenteed flat shelf, to insure that keeping the rods on the shelf does not put a bend in any of the rods being stored.
If you de decide to store the rods vertically and are hanging them from the tip end; do not do this if the reel is still on the rod. The weight of the reel over a long period of time can deform the rod in the are just past the reel seat and front grip. Rather, if storing vertically and hanging them from the tip - remove the reels and all lines and terminal tackle first.

Store all of the reels in a separate sealed tight box. Also, before storing any reels, be sure to fully release and or back off all of the drags on all of the reels. If you store a reel with heavy drag left on the rod, the long storage can screw with the capability of a good smooth drag when it is needed - when landing a trophy fish.

Some people will store reels horizontally on the rafters over head. That is all right, if you first put down boards, so that you have full support for the entire length of the rod. Then, also put on a 2nd layer of plywood a foot or so above the rods to minimize the accumulation of dust on the stored equipment. Or, at the very least keep a plastic sheet or tarp over the rods to keep them clean.

For myself, I bring all of my rods indoors. Remove all reels, line and tackle from the rods. Give a thorough cleaning to the rods and later during slack winter time clean and relubricate all reels. Then, all of the rods are stored in a 10 foot long box on a flat shelf with a top on the box to keep the rods clean and free of issues.

But, to each his own.

Be safe in the off season, as well as in the on season.

Best wishes

Last edited by REW; 09-15-2021 at 09:48 PM.
Old 09-16-2021, 11:02 AM
Keeper

Default rod holders

I used a 2 x 4 x 8 and drilled alternating holes that were 1 1/2" and 5/8". Once I got all of the holes drilled, I cut the board down the center so I had the two rod holder pieces with grooves for rod butts and tips. I used all thread to suspend my rod holder from the ceiling at just the right height. By alternating the direction of the rods, I can get more than enough rods above my boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rod holder 1.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	300.7 KB
ID:	329268   Click image for larger version

Name:	rod holder 2.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	305.6 KB
ID:	329270  
Old 09-17-2021, 07:59 AM
Wallhanger

I used vinyl covered ceiling hooks screwed into boards for my garage. I stained the wood before install. I have a lund crossover. Just ended up the right height to grab the rods off. While standing in the boat. With 14 foot high ceilings. You would have to space the rods down more. The most solid thing would be using lumber to space them down. Otherwise the mentioned all thread or chains. That would wiggle around more when you are getting your rods out. Spacing for the hooks depends what reels you have. Spinning reels pretty close. If you have large level wind salmon type reels. Spacing would be more. I just picked some up at a hardware store. Just make sure you get wide enough openings for your rod butts. https://www.amazon.com/Ceiling-Inche...1886126&sr=8-4

Last edited by Snowking; 09-17-2021 at 08:04 AM.
Old 09-18-2021, 05:08 PM
Wallhanger

Newbietroller has a great solution and way less work than REW’s suggestion. I pretty much have the same solution and it’s extremely convenient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk