Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Happy, Happy - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 09-14-2021, 12:55 AM
Charter Member

Default Happy, Happy

My wife and I were fishing this late afternoon and early evening. Very few boats on the lake. There was a significant wind blowing from the south east and a growing darkness in the west.

We had had a good time, catching fish as we moved along the normal areas that we liked to fish.

I did notice that it was getting darker, when my my wife spoke up and said - " I just saw a bolt of lightning." That put my nerves on edge, because I will not stay on a lake with lighting going on. We continued to fish, until out of the corner of my eye, I saw another bolt of lightning. I spoke to my wife, as I quickly took down the rods, stowed them, started the motor - We are out of here NOW. As soon as we had put things up, I fire walled the throttle and headed for the dock. On the way, I noticed some closer lighting strikes and as I got close to the dock there was one other boat just loading up. He told me that we were the last two boats on the lake. I tied up the boat and quickly made my way to the parking lot for the vehicle and trailer. I quickly made my way to the ramp, backed up and set the brake. I made my way to the dock, started the boat motor backed up to get square to the dock, popped the throttle and nailed the loading of the trailer. Moved up to the bow, grabbed the winch strap, hooked up the snap and safety chain, gave the winch a turn to make it tight and came back to the motor and shut it down.l Bailed from the boat - and now it was raining hard, and popped up away from the ramp to the parking lot for final tie down and journey home. So happy to have the 12 inch wide self centering keel rollers on the trailer. Even in my haste, the rollers grabbed the keel, moved the keel and boat to the center and kept things in alignment as the bow nestled into the fron V block. So thankful that I did not have to repeat anything to get the boat up, out of the water, onto the trailer, tied down and ready to get on the road in a couple of minutes in the rain, rather than a much longer time.

I mentioned to my wife that I had not taken time to remove the drain plug in the boat. With the intensity of the rain, I did not want to drive home with the plug in, or I would have a foot of water in the boat by the time we got home. Across the highway from the boat access was a convenience store that had a canopy over the gas pumps. I figured that I could pull under the canopy to pull the plug in a more dry environment. After pulling the plug, stopped into the store for a light snack on the way home. As I made my way back to the vehicle, I think that the bolt of lighting and instant thunder was about 1.5 milliseconds away from me. I was thankful that the boat and vehicle were under the well grounded metal canopy with that severe lighting bolt so close by;

But, we drove home as a nice safe reasonable speed, and got to the garage as the skies opened up again.

But, all in all - a nice outing with a rather dramatic ending for the day. The fish will be tasty for breakfast tomorrow morning. Just happy that all of the gear worked as designed and all ended safely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2021, 05:15 AM
Wallhanger

Glad to hear that you and the Misses got home safe. Nice commercial for the 12" wide keel roller.

HRG
Old 09-14-2021, 05:18 AM
Super Moderator

Maybe, next time, you'll listen to your wife. Glad you two got home safe.
NPAA#89

Supporting Vendor
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
JulsWalleyeFishingAdventures.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2021, 05:22 AM
Wallhanger

Always a good idea to watch the weather and radar, and pay close attention to the changes in the clouds and wind, to avoid dangerous situations like this.
Old 09-14-2021, 06:42 AM
Charter Member

Lightening anywhere visible and heard thunder means I am off the lake pronto. Too many stories about folks who didn't. Glad it ended OK for you.

Bill
Old 09-14-2021, 07:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post

I did notice that it was getting darker, when my my wife spoke up and said - " I just saw a bolt of lightning." That put my nerves on edge, because I will not stay on a lake with lighting going on.

We continued to fish
I'm with Juls, should have listened to your wife.
Old 09-14-2021, 09:13 AM
Wallhanger

darkening clouds if i'm in cell range i'm pulling up radar and seeing what is heading my way. More times than not that's when i'm leisurely heading back to the dock versus straight up panic throttling it back.
Old 09-14-2021, 09:47 AM
Wallhanger

There are weather apps you can put on your phone that will alert you when there is lightning within X distance of your location. That way you don't have to wait until you actually see or hear the lightning to head in, nor do you have to keep checking the radar.

Gerry
Old 09-14-2021, 11:22 AM
Wallhanger

Free or very cheap apps are a help. If you can see storm clouds you are already at risk. I am off the water before the app shows any lightning 10 miles away. The forecast should also be part of your plans. As REW often says "be safe". Bob
Old 09-14-2021, 11:29 AM
Wallhanger

I keep a STRIKEALERT lightning detector in my boat. It starts alarming when it detects lightning as far away as forty miles.