Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Retractable transom tie downs - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 06-23-2019, 05:41 PM
Minnow

Default Retractable transom tie downs

I have retractable transom straps to the trailer, last night at the boat ramp they would not loosen to get them off before launching the boat. I tried prying on the mechanism and still wouldn’t release. I wasn’t going to mess with them so I ended up cutting the strap.

Is this a problem with all retractables? Or did I have a bad set or brand? This is on a shorelandr trailer in only freshwater. It does get some travel down a gravel road so some dust could maybe be a problem. Can anyone recommend a brand of retractables that are bullet proof or is it better to just get the load binder style?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2019, 06:15 PM
Wallhanger

I have BoatBuckle brand and they always work. I put a drop of Kroil on each end of the mechanism after I wash the boat.
Old 06-23-2019, 06:25 PM
Wallhanger

I have a Shorelander trailer also. My retractable tiedowns have never gotten stuck like you described but I lubricate them with a few shots of WD-40 occasionally. Mine have worked on many, many fishing trips in the 8 years since they were new and still work great.
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2019, 06:33 PM
Minnow

I must have had a fluke then, I just installed them about a year ago, not sure on the brand though.
Old 06-23-2019, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator

I've had mine get stuck before, but was able to get them loose. It will usually happen if the boat shifts on the trailer, or if you winch the front up the boat up any more after putting on the transom straps. Seems to load them up and really hard to pop loose. When my last set of retractables gave out, I went back to regular cam straps. I've had 3 sets of retractables and none lasted more than 3 or 4 seasons before they were more hassle than convenience.

Last edited by Custom Eyes; 06-23-2019 at 07:23 PM.
Old 06-23-2019, 06:44 PM
Minnow

Because of this thread I just ordered some BoatBuckles. I saw on the reviews the mounting bolts arent the best, but everything else about them seems awesome. Thanks!!
Old 06-23-2019, 07:15 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPKing814 View Post
Because of this thread I just ordered some BoatBuckles. I saw on the reviews the mounting bolts arent the best, but everything else about them seems awesome. Thanks!!
That is what I saw as well, if they don’t eventually lock up I might try them.

Those of you with shorlander trailers where did you mount them? I have a drotto boat latch so the boat sits back a few inches then normal so I’d like to do it without the straps rubbing too bad.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:45 PM
welll

I have had them on a pile of trailers (all bunk style) since they came out...numerous brands over twenty years. It seems like the only "lock ups" that I have had were from over_tightening and I was always able to get them loose without cutting but that was always why they bound up.
Old 06-23-2019, 11:56 PM
Wallhanger

I’ve had them difficult to release but never impossible.

Sadly I don’t do any maintenance/lubrications to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-24-2019, 04:40 AM
Wallhanger

I bought boat buckles 3 or 4 weeks ago. No problem releasing but after about a week one didn't retract very well. I sprayed the mechanism with wd40 and it's ok now but I thought they'd have stronger retracting springs.