Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Testing Fiberglass Boats 18-19' - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Share A Seat

Old 05-14-2018, 07:58 PM
Minnow

Default Testing Fiberglass Boats 18-19'

I am in the market for buying a fiberglass boat but I have never fished or ridden in one. I have spent HOURS researching brands, models and different hull designs and bottom line people say "RIDE, RIDE, RIDE". So, I am looking for some people that would have an open seat in either Ranger, Triton, Skeeter or Yar Craft 18 or 19' boats. I live in DePere and would like to fish the Bay, Poygan or Bago. Of course i'll donate 20 bucks to fuel. I hope this comes across as smart shopping not mooching...thanks in advance and if anyone has input on fiberglass boats my ears are open :]

Thanks
-Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2019, 08:38 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dullhook01 View Post
I am in the market for buying a fiberglass boat but I have never fished or ridden in one. I have spent HOURS researching brands, models and different hull designs and bottom line people say "RIDE, RIDE, RIDE". So, I am looking for some people that would have an open seat in either Ranger, Triton, Skeeter or Yar Craft 18 or 19' boats. I live in DePere and would like to fish the Bay, Poygan or Bago. Of course i'll donate 20 bucks to fuel. I hope this comes across as smart shopping not mooching...thanks in advance and if anyone has input on fiberglass boats my ears are open :]

Thanks
-Eric
Just an observation from someone who's owned both aluminum and glass, there is only one situation where it really gets critical and that's sudden rough weather.
(Although any good fisherman inspects his weather maps ahead of time and should NEVER get caught in such.)
If you shoud find yourself on a lake with high weather impact (over 4' rollers), you DEFINTELY want to be in glass, not aluminum - provided it has a high freeboard.

These low freeboard Tritons and bass-boat look-alikes are no better than aluminum when battling big waves and traveling upwind - in fact, they sit lower in the water and put you at a disadvantage for water breaking over the bow, in which case you are SLIGHTLY better off in a lighter aluminum hull sitting higher in the water.
Neither is Anonymouse's preferred style and he would ALWAYS choose a closed bow fibreglass cuddy hull over any open hull design, if weather is at all a factor.
Anonymouse will take on 6' waves with a 22' cuddy I/O and laugh it off.
He'd need several changes of shorts in an open bow of either material with that size wave action.

If weather is not a factor (good planning or smaller lakes with less wind effects), then weight and fuel economy become the overriding concern, in which case aluminum is cheaper to operate and easier to clean and maintain (most of the time).

Provided you aren't considering a bass-boat style floor, fibreglass offers better footing and more "exercise room" than the typical aluminum V-hulled boat and generally the safety of a deeper inside freeboard so you don't go falling overboard or knock equipment over the side accidentally - but bow fishing & bow anchoring (unless you have a winched or motorized anchor) can be more inconvenient on cuddy-styled fibreglass.

As you can see, "ackoo-truh-mahn" and floor planning are large factors in deciding which style of hull you want to invest in but Anonymouse MOSTLY feels that fibreglass is more comfortable (and stable) than aluminum, overall - and isn't that what fishing is all about...being comfortable while doing it?

Last edited by Anonymouse; 01-03-2019 at 08:41 PM.