Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Opinions on Fishfinders - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 09-16-2019, 09:08 PM
Keeper

Default Opinions on Fishfinders

Hey guys, I will be picking up my New Impact next month and am looking for a new fishfinder for the console. I will use my Lowrance X67c up on the bow for now, since I already have a puck ducer for it. It's been a while since I bought the X67c and there is a lot of new technology I'm not familiar with. I prefer Lowrance, not that I'm brand loyal, I am just familiar with their functions and menus. I would like to have Chirp, regular downview and side imaging. I'm not sure I need GPS or maps because I have the Navionics app on my phone. That would be nice to have though, in case I don't have my phone. What I don't need is wifi, because I have nothing to link it to. That just seems like money I don't need to spend. So, what are your guys' opinions? Also, do, you prefer 7" or 9" screens?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2019, 09:16 PM
Wallhanger

9" Lowrance Elite TI2 is a good value for what you get.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:28 PM
Keeper

I saw that and really like it. I just don't need the Wi-Fi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2019, 08:13 AM
Keeper

I guess no-one else has an opinion on this.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtfish View Post
I guess no-one else has an opinion on this.
Well, opinions on depth finders are a dime a dozen. What you discribe for your needs are quite basic. From what I read you are not interested in GPS but it might be nice, haven't laid any groundwork for connectivity, say to a second depthfinder and it's ability to network to other things in the boat. Also, no desire for side scan, structure scan, you just want to upgrade your current unit that seems to be old technology. Well old technology is okay if you just want to read depth. It goes up from there. GPS and the latest mapping features, side scan, down scan, being able to switch what transducer you are looking at from the bow or console. You want the ability to control a trolling motor from the display? You are absolutely right, all of this costs money. The big driver in money is both the technology and the screen size and if it is a touch screen. Going from a 7 to a 9 is great but looking at a Lowrance Hook, you can get a 7 for under $300 that has a lot of nice technology but the 9 is over double that with the same technology just bigger screen. Personally I understand the Navionics App, I have one and it even worked at Lac Seul, but now you are focused on 2 different things, your phone plus your depthfinder rather than focusing on the right 2 things, your depthfinder plus fishing. I would say pick your budget then get the most for the money with some thoughts of looking ahead. It is not hard to spend $10,000 these days on electronics, I have a HDS Carbon 12, 2-HDS Carbon 9's, Structure scan 3D, Point One antenna, i5 connectable trolling motor, Sonic Hub entertainment box with Sirius/XM receiver, both Lowrance and Navionics chips, each has it's own capability to map uncharted areas. This is the real technology improvements. There have been many of improvements in screen quality in the last 10 years, hey your X67C might still be perfect for what you really want. Admittedly I am a Lowrance fan but Garmin and Humminbird might have what you are looking for in the price you are willing to spend. Good luck and admittedly listening to Willy's Roadhouse on Lac Seul is pretty cool and is my secret weapon to get the fish biting again.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtfish View Post
Hey guys, I will be picking up my New Impact next month and am looking for a new fishfinder for the console.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I would like to have Chirp, regular downview and side imaging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Anderson View Post
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Also, no desire for side scan,,,,,,,,,,
Mr. Anderson,
Are you saying that "side scan" is different than the "side imaging" the OP included in the desired features he wanted?
Old 09-18-2019, 01:06 PM
Keeper

I have a Lowrance Elite TI2 9" and will be adding a second to the bow in a couple weeks (waiting on a late gift card from my boat purchase). The wifi for me is going to be great for sharing waypoints, and possibly sonar (can't share down/side imaging on the Elite TI2's) but it was more about the quality of the units. I didn't like the hook units mysef and found the Elites to be the better finder (didn't hurt that I had gift cards to cover all but about $200 to get both of them). The 9" screen to me was a no brainer, I really wanted to get a 12" but couldn't do it in my budget. To me the bigger the screen, the less time you'll spend trying to decipher things, the better off you will be. I wavered between the 2 9" TI2's and 2 7" Lives, the lives would have been like $100 more combined and would have had some better features for me, but the screen real estate brought me to the 9" TI2. Biggest thing would be to pick your budget and get the biggest screen you can while staying inside it. If you don't care about the networking the Hook's could be worth while, but I haven't heard a lot of good things about them.
Minn-Kota Terrova 112 w/ IPilot
Lowrance Ti2 12" Console
Lowrance Ti2 9" Bow
Lowrance Point 1
Standard Horizon GX2350S
Shakespeare QC-8 Antenna
Old 09-18-2019, 01:26 PM
Keeper

Thanks guys! Now you have really helped me out. I think I will go with the Elite Ti2. If the 9" is too much money, I may go with a 7".
Old 09-18-2019, 06:39 PM
Wallhanger

You need more details
Lowrance has better 2d
Hummer much better di and si.
Garmin has livescope.
Just depends what you want. Lowrance carbons have not impressed me in the slightest.

Elite ti seems like a good “value” but don’t expect great di and si detail.

Check bassboatcentral forums. Look at the screen shot sections and the lowrance and Humminbird sections. Lots of info
BT terrova link
Old 09-18-2019, 09:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntindave View Post
Mr. Anderson,
Are you saying that "side scan" is different than the "side imaging" the OP included in the desired features he wanted?
Nope, admittedly misread that. Sorry.