Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Verado and Prokicker Steering - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 07-22-2010, 02:14 PM
Minnow

I have a Ranger 621 with 300 Vrod and 9.9 ProKicker rigged at Ranger. Three batteries for the MK trolling moter up front, one AGM for the Vrod and 9.9.
There is an isolator which allows the power steering pump to run without turning on all the other engine electronics on the Vrod (including the Smartcraft gauge). The isolator kicks in automatically when the 9.9 is fired up. I have trolled for over 6 hours without starting the Vrod, and no problem with voltage from the single AGM battery.
Just in case, it is also rigged with a Start Now Jump Box, which will automatically switch to the trolling batteries to start the Vrod should that ever be necessary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2010, 03:14 PM
Keeper

pmward....can you give me a little detail on the Start Now Jump Box.....those are usually a stand alone box you can jumper to the battery for a boost start. I'm missing the automatic switch to the trolling batteries part. Is there a brand/part number you can share?

Rick
Old 07-22-2010, 07:22 PM
Minnow

I have a 2011 621 with 300 verado with kicker due aug 1.Have been working with dealer to get imfo on the need for extra cranking bat. Cant seem to get all the details so I told them to make it work.When i get the boat I may need to sort it out.This is my first boat in 28 years the last one was 31 twin no problems with weight or batts.Very happy with the verado choice .I like the idea of 4 stroke,ps,quiet,made in USA.I will be fishing lake michigan for the most part but wanted a boat that would fit in my cabin garage thats why the 621.I do have some concern on the weight after reading posts on WC. Imfo from people with 621 300 vrods would be great.Dont care to much about top speed more interested trolling in 3 to 4 foot seas .
Old 07-23-2010, 08:53 AM
Minnow

IdahoGuy,
The JumpBox is a servo-driven switch which automatically puts the trolling batteries in line to start the big motor if voltage falls too low. It was installed at the Ranger factory. If necessary, I can dig out the paperwork on the device.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:05 AM
Wallhanger

is this it?
http://www.charlesindustries.com/main/startnow.html

HRG
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	StartNow.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	5566  

Last edited by Hot Runr Guy; 07-23-2010 at 09:09 AM.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:30 AM
Minnow

Yep. I was just about to post the link. Thanks HotRunner. Took me a while to dig through all the paperwork from Ranger.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:44 AM
Keeper

Thanks. I will look into it. I have questions about how this would work with the power steering battery device and multiple bank charger I have already. My dealer is also a Ranger dealer so I will ask him about this.

R
Old 07-23-2010, 11:18 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmward View Post
Yep. I was just about to post the link. Thanks HotRunner. Took me a while to dig through all the paperwork from Ranger.

Hmm........the way i understand this is when wired correctly the verado ignition doesn't have to be on. Rather the kicker motor triggers the verado power steering pump throught the mercury kit. I could have it wrong but i'm pretty sure this is why the mercury part/isolator is used. With the solution above I would think you would have to turn on the verado iginition to operate the pump.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:25 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by tm7554 View Post
Hmm........the way i understand this is when wired correctly the verado ignition doesn't have to be on. Rather the kicker motor triggers the verado power steering pump throught the mercury kit. I could have it wrong but i'm pretty sure this is why the mercury part/isolator is used. With the solution above I would think you would have to turn on the verado iginition to operate the pump.
tm7554,
you are correct, but two different things are being discussed. The isolator allows the PS pump to be energized without engine controls, ignition, computer, smartcraft, etc being energized, so only the PS is drawing current.
The JumpBox is a fail safe should you lose the cranking battery for whatever reason.