Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
St. Croix Rods - Triumph? Premier? - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 02-08-2015, 06:55 PM
Keeper

the reason i dont like 2 piece rods, is that every one i have owned has twisted at the ferrule fighting a decent sized fish...now i must say that i havent owned an expensive (or relatively so) 2 piecer. i have owned some top of the line st croixs (legend elite and extreme, as well as tournaments) just not a 2 piece. i just prefer a 1 piece rod.

i also wouldnt use "15 or 20# braid" just way too heavy for almost any walleye fishing i can think of. i use either 10lb power pro super slick or 6 or 10lb 832. 6lb 832 can easily land big fish, while being easier to fish with, longer casting, etc. if only power pro made super slick in 6 or 8lb!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2015, 08:37 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canga~ View Post
the reason i dont like 2 piece rods, is that every one i have owned has twisted at the ferrule fighting a decent sized fish...now i must say that i havent owned an expensive (or relatively so) 2 piecer. i have owned some top of the line st croixs (legend elite and extreme, as well as tournaments) just not a 2 piece. i just prefer a 1 piece rod.

i also wouldnt use "15 or 20# braid" just way too heavy for almost any walleye fishing i can think of. i use either 10lb power pro super slick or 6 or 10lb 832. 6lb 832 can easily land big fish, while being easier to fish with, longer casting, etc. if only power pro made super slick in 6 or 8lb!
I was planning on using the higher test braid because it is so much thinner than mono. According to PowerPro's website, the 20#braid is as thin as 6lb mono. I've never used braid on a spinning reel so this is a first for me. I've only used braid on my lake Michigan trolling gear.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:23 AM
Keeper

I think you would really like 10lb 834 on that rod.Leader up with fluoro or mono if you want makes a very versatile line.

Last edited by Drummer Boy; 02-09-2015 at 09:25 AM. Reason: change
Old 02-15-2015, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

other than steelhead rods, all of my spinning rods are premiers, with the exception of one avid. i have absolutely no complaints about them. most are two piece and i've never had an issue. as walie said, look closely at the triumphs in the store and you may see the defective alignments on some. i've seen it and put them back.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:38 AM
Minnow

OP update here. Last night I ordered 1 7' Medium 2 piece Triumph spinning rod, 1 7' MH 1 piece Triumph casting rod, and the Lew's Tournament MB baitcasting reel from Dick's Sporting Goods online. They have 25% off if you buy 3 items. Rarely do the St. Croix rods ever qualify for a discount but they did this time.

I will be buying the Shimano Sedona 2500 reel shortly when I can get a good deal on it.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:17 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldman View Post
I (had) two premiers, and (have) two Triumph's. All nice equipment. The biggest difference I've found us in how mad I get when I snap the end off the Premier.
I broke the end of my Triumph off. Is there any way to repair it ? Did you get your Premier repaired ?