Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
New diesel outboard just announced - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 05-28-2020, 07:12 AM
Wallhanger

Default New diesel outboard just announced

BRP gone yesterday, and a new diesel outboard announced yesterday. Times are really changing. A British manufacture, Cox Powertrain, just announced a new 300 HP diesel outboard. Picture of it looks a little large, but hard to actually tell. Should be interesting to hear more about this, but their production rate would need to be ramped up, as they are only able to make one engine an hour, at this time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2020, 06:30 PM
Charter Member

Judge for yourselves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qltlWTjUWb4

The weight is 350 Kg.

350kj equals 711 lbs - very similar to a comparable current 300 hp V-8 outboard motor.
Old 05-31-2020, 06:18 PM
Keeper

If it were German vs. British I would have more faith.
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2020, 06:55 PM
Wallhanger

Musings.

Was there not a bunch of fit throwing in regards to 2 stroke emissions going into the water ways?

Diesel engines run dirty. Unless they have it fine tuned so well that this engine completely burns all the fuel. I would have to see it to believe it.

Exhaust filter. The EPA will want an exhaust filter.

Currently diesel fuel costs more than gasoline. It would have to be mighty frugal on fuel.

I’ll be watching this one. Currently I see no advantages.

I could see a high power electric being viable long before another Diesel engine. Many want to do away from Diesels all together. I don’t think they’ll get the job done.

JMHO

Last edited by goldman; 05-31-2020 at 06:58 PM.
Old 06-01-2020, 05:53 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldman View Post
Musings.

Was there not a bunch of fit throwing in regards to 2 stroke emissions going into the water ways?

Diesel engines run dirty. Unless they have it fine tuned so well that this engine completely burns all the fuel. I would have to see it to believe it.

Exhaust filter. The EPA will want an exhaust filter.

Currently diesel fuel costs more than gasoline. It would have to be mighty frugal on fuel.

I’ll be watching this one. Currently I see no advantages.

I could see a high power electric being viable long before another Diesel engine. Many want to do away from Diesels all together. I don’t think they’ll get the job done.

JMHO
I could definitely see an all electric outboard in the future. Maybe not the near future since a Tesla battery weighs 1,200# but I could see the feasibility of this in a few to many years as battery technology progresses. That said it’d be a scary thought relying on one source of power for everything while on the water.

Last edited by Tilzbow; 06-01-2020 at 05:58 PM.
Old 06-01-2020, 05:59 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilzbow View Post
I could definitely see an all electric outboard in the future. Anyone know what a electric car battery weighs?
I could too. With the weight of my outboard and 40 gal. of gas, you could put a lot of batteries in the mid section of the boat. Maybe that's where BRP is going.
Ches.