Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
St. Croix Rods - Triumph? Premier? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 02-01-2015, 07:44 PM
Minnow

Default St. Croix Rods - Triumph? Premier?

I've been considering getting a nicer rod then I've ever had before. I've got a couple of older Berkely Lighting rods from the late 80s that still work so I bought a new one at Cabelas and 3 of the guides seem to have a "bump" on them like the metal was melting so I am going to return it. It made me think it is time to do an upgrade too.

I'm looking for a 6"6" or 7' medium action and all the reviews on the St. Croix Triumph and Premier rods seem very positive. The two rods look to be pretty similar but the Triumph is made in Mexico and the Premier is made in WI. The Triumph is $90 and the Premier is about $130. The price seems the same regardless of which retailer I buy it from - any reason to choose one retailer over another?

I'd like some feedback on these two choices. Sensitivity is key and this will be a multipurpose rod either loaded with 8# mono or 15# braid - not sure yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2015, 08:20 PM
Wallhanger

I have a rod locker full of triumphs, for the money they are very good rods when compared to your run of the mill rods.

I have begun adding better rods, some from the specialty lines (panfish) and some from the more advanced lines (Avid, Legend Tournament) . I believe they are basically worth the money, they are lighter, more sensitive, and many times are presentation specific.

Rods are a durable good, take care of them and they will last forever, keep that in mind as you look for a rod!
Old 02-01-2015, 08:21 PM
Wallhanger

Its the same SCII blank in those rods. The only differences are the guides and the finish in the rod and where it is made. Same sensitivity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2015, 08:25 PM
Wallhanger

I have a locker full and then some of Premiers. They have been my rod of choice for almost 20 years. If you buy one and don't like it, let me know.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:35 AM
Slot Fish

Guess I'm getting older and more ornery, but if I have to chose between made in the USA and somewhere else, I stick with the US made. Have several Premiers and a couple of Avids. Love them!

If the price difference is a concern, I've been able to pick all of my Premiers for less than the price of a Triumph at the big box stores. You just have to look a little more.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:35 AM
Wallhanger

St Croix makes some great Rods, but at those price points I would also look at Fenwick.
Old 02-02-2015, 07:16 AM
Wallhanger

Default Have both

I've got both the Triumph and Premier. I like them all -- but my favorite out of the bunch is a 6'6" Premier Light with a 1325 Pflueger Purist reel. I don't know what it is but that set-up just fits.
Old 02-02-2015, 07:36 AM
Wallhanger

go with the premiere. Better components. If you watch gander mountain they do a mail in rebate a few times per year. usually $20 off on the premiere.
Old 02-02-2015, 08:26 AM
Keeper

Late last year purchased two PC70MM (7' Premiers) for casting and hand trolling crankbaits and/live bait. Haven't had a lot of time to use yet, but so far they feel great. Looking forward to ice out this year. Unfortunately I think I paid full price.
2013 Minn Kota PD V2 w/iPilot
Old 02-02-2015, 09:45 AM
Minnow

Default i'd get the premier

if you inspect the rods carefully, the guides on the triumphs usually don't align correctly.

if you shop around and wait for deals you can get a premier at a triumph's price.