Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
I don't drive to Canada to fish for Walleyes - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 08-11-2019, 08:57 PM
Keeper

Nice fish, any info on your blade baits what do you start with before you paint.

I want to try some rivers in my area but just not familiar. I am afraid I will rip my prop off with a log
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2019, 06:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatoe View Post
Nice fish, any info on your blade baits what do you start with before you paint.

I want to try some rivers in my area but just not familiar. I am afraid I will rip my prop off with a log
I start with a blade blank from Janns Netcraft, a mold from DoIt Molds, a bottom pour Lee electric melting pot and some pure raw lead. I use both brass and nickel plated blanks depending on my finished paint scheme. So far I have used various combinations of powder paint to get the desired color patterns. I pour 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 5/8, and 3/4 ounce sizes. 3/8 and 1/2 ounce are the sizes I use the most. If the water current is really strong the 5/8 and 3/4 sizes will stay down where the fish are. I've also used the 3/4 ounce successfully for Lake Trout in the BWCAW.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:36 AM
Wallhanger

We go to Canada in September for waterfowl hunting. I remember one year when we got our limit of birds one morning, so we decided to fish for walleyes in a Lake Manitoba tributary that afternoon. Oh my! We both caught 30+" walleyes and more than one. The locals called them "greenbacks" and we just happened to hit a very good day.
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2019, 10:18 AM
Keeper

I will say Iowa has been very very good this year. I do love fishing Canada but all our 30" plus fish have come from the Midwest over the years
Old 08-12-2019, 02:15 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyoteman View Post
I will say Iowa has been very very good this year. I do love fishing Canada but all our 30" plus fish have come from the Midwest over the years

Iowa has been great the past 5 years. Better than I ever remember previous to that. Some real sleeper lakes around that have had walleyes planted over the years and really have little to no pressure. I don’t have any Iowa 30” fish, but know a guy personally who has 2 over 30” in Iowa in the last 3 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-13-2019, 08:07 PM
Keeper

Thanks Huntindave - good info on blades
Old 08-14-2019, 07:26 AM
Minnow

Default lac hebert

I have great walleye fishing in NYS. I just returned from my 10th trip to Canada. Last 3 years fishing as been the best, I caught an release a 30in this year. I love the 12 hr drive, the adventure of fishing 10 - 12 hours a day.
Eating fresh caught walleye in 5 different ways, and the peace and quiet. I am already looking forward to 2020, I will be 80 and my son is going also. Doug