Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
The Types of Personalities on a Trip - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 03-18-2020, 04:10 PM
Keeper

Default The Types of Personalities on a Trip

Like most people I am now working remotely*for the next little and primarily staying indoors

With my internet browsing reaching peak I figured I would share as I am sure I am not alone*

My daughter loves Dude Perfect and one video spawned an idea for a post that is primarily meant to be entertaining and humorous (I hope) - highlighting some fishing or outdoor trip sterotypes

I also figured it would be a great way to hear others "guys" Re the late guy or the chef etc.

https://www.northernjacks.com/post/that-guy

Cheers and thanks for reading

Andrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2020, 05:12 PM
Minnow

Great read Andrew. We all know one of those guys.

W.
Old 03-18-2020, 05:38 PM
Wallhanger

Location: Land of 10,000 lakes, even more taxes and the state where the police are handcuffed.

Andrew, wouldn't it just be easier to change your WC handle to northernjacks.com?
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2020, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

Comical. Though not totally accurate.

"Ghost" seem to get overlooked when planning the next trip.

"Tackle Junkie"? There's always one in every group. Good thing about them is that they are constantly rotating rigs and sooner or latter stumble onto a hot setup for that particular moment. You can either learn from them or be entertained. Your choice.

"Nervous Nellie" could be anyone who is the trip organizer and feels an obligation that things go well. Most of our base group used to be ex-military/LE and we were extremely organized. Trips went off like clockwork with no surprises.

Then and yes.... then... I was invited to join a group from "The Cities". Biggest cluster I've ever seen. I was totally in awe and entertained every moment by their lack of planning and total obliviousness to any type of organization. Turned out to be one of my favorite groups. Every moment was a something I had never even thought could happen moment. Love that group. I learned to make sure that I had what I needed with me ratted away in the truck. Good thing it was a drive to lake. TP??? Who runs out of TP??? Good grief.

Good read and brought back some really good memories. After nearly seventy trips over the border I figure nothing will surprise me anymore, but every year something new and usually very funny happens. Memories, memories, memories.

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."
Old 03-18-2020, 06:21 PM
Wallhanger

I don't understand how a guy could make more than a couple of trips and not be able to butcher a walleye, but it happens.
Old 03-19-2020, 05:08 AM
Keeper

Default Great Reading

Hey thanks for sharing that blog post. I read it, and got a chuckle out of it.

I must confess to being a "Tackle Junkie" at times. I showed up last year with 28 rods and 26 different reels for a 9 day trip at an outpost cabin. However, once I get onto a pattern and find what's working, I'm actually pretty good at narrowing things down, and leaving most of my gear back in the cabin. But I do tend to take about 500+ crankbaits with me when I cross the border.

I generally only end up using about 15 of those crankbaits throughout the duration of the trip....

BUT... (in my defense)… I never know WHICH 15 baits it's going to be until I've had a chance to fish the lake for 2 or 3 days on the trip.

For subsequent trips to a lake that I'm more familiar with, I tend to scale back and maybe only take about 450 + crankbaits with me

Now as far as other characters are concerned, I think I know 1 or 2 people who may be a combination of "Nervous Nellie" and "The Opinion" We'll just refer to that guy as "Opinionated Nervous Nellie"

Typically, "Opinionated Nervous Nellie" doesn't get along real well with "Tackle Junkie," especially when "Opinionated Nervous Nellie" is of the opinion that "Tackle Junkie" has brought too much tackle. Because "Opinionated Nervous Nellie" is certainly not bashful about sharing his opinion...

At least that's been my experience.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go check out FishUSA. I'm very much looking forward to their next sale on Smithwick Perfect 10 Rogues, because I'd like to pick up another 20 to 30 of them to have custom painted in "Blue Cisco" for my next trip to Pipestone Lake.... (just in case it proves to be the hot color, which I suspect that it may).

Cheers,

"Jackpot" John Schroeder

Last edited by jackpotjohnny48; 03-19-2020 at 05:11 AM. Reason: to add additional comment
Old 03-19-2020, 05:55 AM
Wallhanger

We have an old timer in the crew that would fit the role of Pervert.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:01 AM
Slot Fish

We've had the same group of guys going together for the last 30 years.
We have those who assume the chef role.
Some who make the post meal clean up duties their job.
Some who are better at cleaning the catch.
As far as tackle issues everything is open to anyone.
If some one is short on the hot bait the others if able will make sure every one is covered.
We've had some people come and go. The first year is to see if they fit in. If the majority don't feel comfortable they aren't invited back.
It's worked for us and now our sons and Grandsons.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:30 AM
Keeper

Thanks for all the comments and I am glad the post brought out some good memories - part of why I think I have really enjoyed writing is for the same reason

As the main planner I can definitely be the Nervous Nellie - I think on our first fly in the guys were ready to throw me out of the plane if I mentioned weight again. I would also consider myself a but of a tackle junkie. My wife always jokes that I have hobby OCD - when I get into something I go pretty hard. Since I have been fishing for some 40 ish years I have accumulated a lot of stuff lol

I will also say that our group has a great rhythm in camp as well and we definitely don't have any ghosts. We have two chefs so the rest of us generally do all of the other camp chores as they are prepping dinner. I love seeing the variety of eagles and such that show up when we dump our compostables and fish guts so I like being the bucket boy! My brother is a big guy who fancies himself as a lumberjack so he always seems to be prepping wood for the nights fire and so on.
Old 03-19-2020, 08:42 AM
Minnow

My annual guy trips have been replaced with an semi-annual family trip. This includes my wife, MIL and FIL, and four kids 15 and under. So I have assume the role of Tackle Junkie and Nervous Nellie. Not because that is my personality, but by necessity.

I have to provide all the tackle for my family plus some extras for the In-Laws. My wife and her parents are not fisherman, but love camping and the outdoors. So having extra tackle is a must.

I do not want to lose our current arrangement of a fishing trip every two years, so I also take on the roll of nervous nellie to make sure the trip goes off without a hitch (as much as can be avoided anyway).

My MIL however, she takes on the roll of The Opinion. But I love her just the same.

Even though it is just as much my vacation as everyone else's, I try to do as much work as possible so the others can relax and enjoy. Again, I don't want to lose our vacation deal. So I do all cooking with some help mixed in. I clean all the fish, and do at least 50% of the dishes. It is a lot of work for an eight person group, but it is worth it to keep the tradition alive.