Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
USA Made Quality Rods - Page 5 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 04-30-2020, 08:53 AM
kzoofisher's Avatar
kzoofisher kzoofisher is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Kalamazoo, Mi
Posts: 3,500
Default

Only trying to lighten things up a bit. Different rods for different uses is the way I see it. Depending on what sort of jigging I’m doing, I have, in alphabetical order: Fenwick, Loomis, Shimano, St Croix. All nice rods imo. If I used only one of them for all purposes it would be disappointing most of the time.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #42  
Old 04-30-2020, 09:16 AM
clawman clawman is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Spokane WA
Posts: 1,696
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzoofisher View Post
Only trying to lighten things up a bit. Different rods for different uses is the way I see it. Depending on what sort of jigging I’m doing, I have, in alphabetical order: Fenwick, Loomis, Shimano, St Croix. All nice rods imo. If I used only one of them for all purposes it would be disappointing most of the time.
Ya, if you tried to build an house with only a saw, it would be really short.
__________________
"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 04-30-2020, 09:19 AM
Meat Hunter Meat Hunter is offline
Keeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 391
Default USA Made Quality Rods

First of all, I bought the rod in the dead of winter, or it would've went back! Second, I was reading threads on this site where the guys really like this rod for vertical fishing, a lot, so that's why I bought this rod. I've come to the conclusion St. Croix is NOT making these rods with the quality they used to. They probably were great rods at one point. It's buyer beware anymore.

I stand corrected, the Eyecon is not the same blank, just a cheaper version of junk.

As for the 50 dollar rod issue, I would agree in the 75 dollar range. In that range, there's a lot of rods that exceed St. Croix, and a lot in the 100 dollar range that blow this rod away.

I have a very old G Loomis GL2, I paid around 160 for it at the time. Blows the Avid away!

Meat Hunter
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 04-30-2020, 09:22 AM
gbin's Avatar
gbin gbin is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: upstate NY (but MN in my heart!)
Posts: 705
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzoofisher View Post
... Depending on what sort of jigging I’m doing, I have, in alphabetical order: Fenwick, Loomis, Shimano, St Croix. All nice rods imo. If I used only one of them for all purposes it would be disappointing most of the time.
If the OP wouldn't mind the diversion, I'd love to hear you go into details on this (i.e. exactly what rod for exactly what jigging). Seriously. I never did much jigging in the past but hope to do a fair amount of it in the future, so it would be instructive.

Gerry
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 04-30-2020, 09:41 AM
cutting edge
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzoofisher View Post
Only trying to lighten things up a bit. Different rods for different uses is the way I see it. Depending on what sort of jigging I’m doing, I have, in alphabetical order: Fenwick, Loomis, Shimano, St Croix. All nice rods imo. If I used only one of them for all purposes it would be disappointing most of the time.
Yeah, but this thread was based on the Avids lack of sensitivity (and being called junk)....I want to know the 50 dollar rod that not only is equal to but S.Larson says is actually better than an Avid in sensitivity. Most know that you don't need a 500 dollar rod to cast cranks ( although some still use them) and that different rods work better for different applications but that is not what this discussion is about. I think most also know that the Avid has been considered as one of the best bang for the buck rods over the course of many years! I will say it again....Name one rod that cost 50 dollars and I would definitely check it out and if I think it is equal or better than an Avid, I assure you that I would absolutely love to save money by buying a few....it simply isn't true and S.Larson knows it but knows it is past the point of no return and won't admit it.....can I be any more clear than I have been? A false statement was made and everyone knows it that has the ability to think logically! Heck, if ANYBODY on this site can name a 50 rod better than an Avid, I would love to know what that rod is.

Statement by Fred- There are many quarterbacks better than than Tom Brady!

Ken- name one?

Fred- well there are many....

Ken- can you just name one?

Fred- well there are many.....

Ken- you won't simply name one?

Fred- there are many....

See how goofy it is............
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 04-30-2020, 11:41 AM
Meat Hunter Meat Hunter is offline
Keeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 391
Default USA Made Quality Rods

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutting edge View Post
Yeah, but this thread was based on the Avids lack of sensitivity (and being called junk)....I want to know the 50 dollar rod that not only is equal to but S.Larson says is actually better than an Avid in sensitivity. Most know that you don't need a 500 dollar rod to cast cranks ( although some still use them) and that different rods work better for different applications but that is not what this discussion is about. I think most also know that the Avid has been considered as one of the best bang for the buck rods over the course of many years! I will say it again....Name one rod that cost 50 dollars and I would definitely check it out and if I think it is equal or better than an Avid, I assure you that I would absolutely love to save money by buying a few....it simply isn't true and S.Larson knows it but knows it is past the point of no return and won't admit it.....can I be any more clear than I have been? A false statement was made and everyone knows it that has the ability to think logically! Heck, if ANYBODY on this site can name a 50 rod better than an Avid, I would love to know what that rod is.

Statement by Fred- There are many quarterbacks better than than Tom Brady!

Ken- name one?

Fred- well there are many....

Ken- can you just name one?

Fred- well there are many.....

Ken- you won't simply name one?

Fred- there are many....

See how goofy it is............
Actually, I think the 50 dollar rod would've beat St. Croix not too long ago. I don't know about right now. I just took a picture of my St. Croix, and sitting right next to it is one of my Cabela's IM7 Tourney Trail rods. It's a 6' rod, excellent for vertical fishing. At the time they were on sale at Cabelas, my friend bought an arm load of them at 15.00 each. I know they're a lot more than that now, and don't know about the quality. I do know that the 7' version is a favorite with the salt water guys.

Second, I spoke to 3 rod builders today. St. Croix was one of them. The blanks are US, they never changed them, they're assembled in the US. The guides and reel seats are NOT U.S. When I was told that they did change the reel seat, it had me wondering. I think it may have contributed to the sensitivity issue. It's cork all the way through the seat now. Weird. The rod still is a moderate action rod at best. Period.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3793.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	447.6 KB
ID:	317964  
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 04-30-2020, 06:32 PM
Angler TRent
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat Hunter View Post
First of all, I bought the rod in the dead of winter, or it would've went back! Second, I was reading threads on this site where the guys really like this rod for vertical fishing, a lot, so that's why I bought this rod. I've come to the conclusion St. Croix is NOT making these rods with the quality they used to. They probably were greaot rods at one point. It's buyer beware anymore.

I stand corrected, the Eyecon is not the same blank, just a cheaper version of junk.

As for the 50 dollar rod issue, I would agree in the 75 dollar range. In that range, there's a lot of rods that exceed St. Croix, and a lot in the 100 dollar range that blow this rod away.

I have a very old G Loomis GL2, I paid around 160 for it at the time. Blows the Avid away!

Meat Hunter
How much do you want for your avid?
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 04-30-2020, 07:38 PM
S.Larson S.Larson is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: WI
Posts: 2,281
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutting edge View Post
Yeah, it could be solved...all I am asking is for S.Larson to pick out the very best of the supposed many 50 dollar rods....just pick one...then I will go check that one out and give it a fair shot. I'm not arguing that there are not better rods than an avid, I just don't believe that there are any ( not to mention MANY) 50 dollar rods that compare at all ( and S. Larson knows it) or S. Larson would without hesitation name one...I don't understand why i f there are many, that are better, S. Larson could just make it easy for all of us to go check out the very best of the supposed many 50 dollar rods....seems pretty simple to me, and I think kzoo, you know exactly what I mean and that S.Larson made a comment that can't be backed up by a simple answer...is it that hard to understand? I'm not trying to argue, I would really love to be directed to a 50 dollar rod that compares to an Avid, seriously I would! Don't pretend that you don't understand my stance.

How many times do I have to tell you??? Just go to walmart and pick any $50 rod and Bob's your uncle,...
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 04-30-2020, 09:48 PM
KC Walleye's Avatar
KC Walleye KC Walleye is offline
Keeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 188
Default

Reading this thread is comical now. Well done y’all. Why are you getting in to it with S. Larson anyway? Have you read any of his other posts? Obvious he’s a troll looking to get a rise out of people......for example......his 1.75 of Risers for $30 is as smooth as anyone’s expensive whiskey.......sound like a familiar stance? Troll away!
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 05-01-2020, 05:49 AM
kzoofisher's Avatar
kzoofisher kzoofisher is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Kalamazoo, Mi
Posts: 3,500
Default

Fenwick: 7’ 2” lmf for jigs under 1/4
St croix: 6’ 8” mlf for 1/4-3/8
Loomis: 7’ mlf for 1/2-3/4
Shimano: 8’ 6” mlmf for blades and and jigging minnows
St croix: 6’ mhf for for vertical jigging 3/4-1

I prefer casting so that’s what 80% of those rods are set up for. The Fenwick is probably a little slower than most people like, I like it when I’m fishing lighter weights with more finesse. The Shimano was mislabeled as an ultralight and I got a deal on it. The Loomis is underrated in both power and action on the label the way all Loomis rods are imo. Light medium might be more accurate than medium light if the distinction makes sense. Any way you slice it, it has noticeably more power than the similarly labeled SC.

I always try to take someone with me to the store so I can do the throat test (learned here) for sensitivity. And I balance with a reel just the way I like it which is critical for max sensitivity and comfort. Some like a little tip heavy, some butt heavy and some dead center. Whatever puts fish on the end of your line. Perfectly balanced is a feeling not a standard.* I always err with a reel that leaves the rod a little tip heavy with the reel stem between my middle fingers. I can fix that by either adjusting my hand forward, my usual position anyway, or adding just a few grams at the butt. I haven’t found a way to fix butt heavy.

*a thread about “perfectly balanced” would probably get ugly. Frankly, I can’t even wrap my head around some of the crazy things people say 😂
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.