Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
whitefish lake Ontario - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 03-21-2008, 08:02 PM
Slot Fish

Default whitefish lake Ontario

Have a chance to go on trip end of May to Whitefish lake. Does any one know anything about this lake? Is it a good walleye lake,is there a chip for this lake,any advice on where to fish and what to use would be greatly appreciated.Or should I pass on this trip?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2008, 05:49 AM
Keeper

Default RE: whitefish lake Ontario

There was a guy that used post on WC named Roger Mayer and this was his home lake. He had a website and he had a sevearl posts about "whatfish" lake.

I found his website

http://www.fishingthunderbay.com/

Bellbuoy
Old 03-24-2008, 02:20 PM
Shubody

Our group wemt to White Fish three or four years ago on the recomendation of Gourd Ellis who writes for Walleye Insider magazine. He told us how good the walleye fishing was. What a lie. We only caught perch. When I mentioned at Rydens where we were going the guy at the counter told me that the lake was dead for walleye. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2008, 02:58 PM
Keeper

Just curious which Whitefish Lake you are talking about. I know of 4 in Northwestern Ontario. I've personally only fished the one north of Nakina and can offer info on that one if it's the one.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:24 PM
Limiterr

Whitefish has a good population of Walleye. It is a shallow very prolific lake. In winter it is noted as a night bite. Lots of weeds and lots of big fish in the summer. You have to put in your time to track them down. I have done well there.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:34 PM
Minnow

Default Whitefish Lake

Just an update for anyone who wants it. We have had very good success catching Walleye, Perch, and Northern Pike. Guests here at the resort have had very good success with all fish. Lots of 21'' to 25'' Walleye and some a little bigger. Not everyday has produced huge fish, but thats fishing. FISH ON!!! Jano Jr.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:14 PM
Roger Mayer

Default Whitefish Lake

Hi,

Whitefish lake can be a difficult lake to fish as it is pretty much devoid of any classic walleye structure. Many locals there will place a marker and consistantly fish a given area. It may provide a few walleye if you are willing to wait and be crowded. I just can't do this.

If you are ice fishing. Wait for the night bite or fish overcast days. Perch bite very well during the day. Drill many holes for the night bite. The lake is very shallow and weedy. If you search around you can find small gravel patches. These are the areas I like to set up on. Use large minnows or plastics. You don't have to jig very hard as the water you'll be in will likely be 6-9 feet deep.

If you are fishing soft water I like drifting with a fixed float and a jig. My jig weight depends on the drifting speed but 1/8 is usually good enough. Force the float into weed openings and fish the pockets as you drift.

Another good drifting technique is rip jigging over the tops of weeds. Once again a 1/8 ounce jig tipped with a leech.

You can try and sit in one spot and wait it out but the walleyes in this lake seem to move all the time.

Roger
Old 08-05-2018, 05:05 AM
Minnow

Default Any recent news on Whitefish lake?

A friend of mine just came back yesterday. They really had to work for the perch but had a good time. I guess walleye were nowhere to be found. Northern pike were all over the place. Anyone else have any reports? I'm going in a couple weeks and looking to see if anyone else has been there recently. Thanks
Old 08-07-2018, 10:02 AM
Minnow

Smile Whitefish lake near wawa!

Our group of eight just got back last week from Whitefish Lake & Manitowik Lakes near Wawa. Stayed at Hidden River Lodge and we were all pleased with the accommodations & the Walleye, Smallmouth and Pike fishing. New owner just took over and has made many upgrades like new stoves, frigs and mattresses. Boats were Naden's with four stroke engines and dept finders & GPS's. We eat plenty of Walleye and Pike and had more than enough for our party. Several walleye 18-21 with plenty of eater size fish. Biggest Pile was 40 inches with Smallmouth in 17-18 range. I make a spring trip to Sioux Lookout where I find the bass in shallow waters but here as it was later in the season they were in deeper water on the rocky points. Town of Wawa was 20 minutes away which made it nice for any supplies we forgot or when we ran out of Kokanee Beer. Cabins are set with a beautiful view of Whitefish Lake. We will be back next year!