Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Braid or no braid? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 06-09-2021, 05:05 PM
LV guy

I'm in the braid with fluorocarbon camp. Join them with a double uni knot. The combo is extremely sensitive and tough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2021, 05:50 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavis View Post
Many people used to ride a horse to work too, whats your point?
You either didn't see the stir the pot emoji or haven't spent much time here, I'm having a bit of fun with a die hard pro mono user. All in good fun.
Old 06-09-2021, 06:21 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NailsWI View Post
You either didn't see the stir the pot emoji or haven't spent much time here, I'm having a bit of fun with a die hard pro mono user. All in good fun.
Ah, okay...well, crap, i had been saving that horse analogy for a while.
Old 06-09-2021, 06:39 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportfish1 View Post
I received a St Croix premier 6'6" medium spinning rod for a retirement gift. I'm going to use it for jigging and slow trolling. So, braid or mono? Trying to figure it out.
Thanks!
I’m gonna throw a curve ball to you. Have you thought about copolymer line? I’ve used the copolymer line ice fishing and loved it. It’s basically a “hybrid Line”

It’s mono line in the core of the line with a fluro carbon cover over the mono.

It gives you a more flexible & manageable line then fluro, It gives you the abrasion resistance of fluro, and has considerably less stretch then mono. Doesn’t fade or stain like braid. The fluro cover makes it invisible under water. Also it is superior to braid for knots & abrasion.

Can’t believe more don’t talk about copolymers

So

It’s basically a best of all three worlds(mono,fluro, braid) without much of the downsides.

Last edited by Agronomist_at_ia; 06-09-2021 at 06:43 PM.
Old 06-09-2021, 07:33 PM
Wallhanger

I haven't given copolymer line much thought until now, although I think your description of the line is not accurate. 2 different nylon polymers combined to form a copolymer vs mono filament inside a floro cover. Anyhow, after reading more about it I'm gonna spool up a reel with it and give it a shot. Sounds like it has all the benefits of braid at a lower price point. Might not make a good slip bobber line seeing as how it sinks, but for jigging, rigging and bottom bouncers it might be a great line
Old 06-09-2021, 11:07 PM
cutting edge

Quote:
Lol....that was too easy, but, I won't pile on....I will say though, that your quip altered the way he replied....

To the op, I have four jigging rods, three reels spooled with braid and one with mono....the rod and reel with mono is what I prefer when jigging shallow (mostly pitching) due to the fact that the mono stretches and acts as a shock absorber.
The other three are different power and length rods that I use in deeper water and find that the sensitivity of braid is superior to mono.....I think if you have only one rod for jigging specifically, I would have the reel loaded with braid....if you have multiple jigging rods, I would recommend at least one combo has mono....I have come to the conclusion, that braid, mono and fluoro all have a place and time in fishing, where one is the better choice than the others....I think that anyone who thinks only one line is all you need to do everything, is as wrong as thinking one tool, will do every job....there is a reason there are many different rod lengths, powers and actions or there are different types of lines etc...they all excel for different techniques or applications....I should add, that every jigging rod I use with braid, has a fluoro (sometimes mono) leader (about three feet) connected by a double uni-knot. I don't know any golfers who use only one club.......fishing can be very simplistic or very advanced....it all depends on how far you are or aren't willing to take it...either way go with what you are comfortable with!
Old 06-10-2021, 11:49 AM
Keeper

Quote:
I haven't given copolymer line much thought until now, although I think your description of the line is not accurate. 2 different nylon polymers combined to form a copolymer vs mono filament inside a floro cover. Anyhow, after reading more about it I'm gonna spool up a reel with it and give it a shot. Sounds like it has all the benefits of braid at a lower price point. Might not make a good slip bobber line seeing as how it sinks, but for jigging, rigging and bottom bouncers it might be a great line
Mono is made from nylon.

What Is Copolymer Fishing Line?

Copolymer line is basically a more advanced version of mono-filament line. However, it’s made from two types of nylon polymers, and mono line is made from one.

The combination of two polymers pretty much gets rid of all of the quirks that mono-filament line has. It’s stronger, less likely to tangle, and way more resistant to abrasion.

It’s best to look at it as a solid cross between braided line and mono line, and it has a couple characteristics of fluorocarbon. However, it doesn’t have nearly as many drawbacks as those lines do.

I think your right though. Not all copolymers are covered in fluro. they do sell copolymer lines with a fluro coating on them. I’ve only used copolymer line in winter ice fishing and it had the fluro coating over the copolymer line.

Not sure of the all the brands that are out there. I’ve used the P-Line stuff and been very happy with it. On the ice fishing forums guys talk it up highly, because it’s low stretch and doesn’t freeze up beads of water on it like braids do in the cold. Due to the overall great reviews from the ice guys is why I used it. The only issue is it can be hard to find P-Line around here.

Last edited by Agronomist_at_ia; 06-10-2021 at 11:55 AM.
Old 06-10-2021, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

I use braid for most applications but still prefer mono for Lindy Rigging, I like just a little give in that scneario.
Old 06-10-2021, 01:11 PM
Wallhanger

bout the only thing I use mono for anymore is an application where some stretch is to your advantage...like crank baits
Old 06-11-2021, 07:19 AM
Minnow

Braid has nearly no stretch so sensitivity is on an entirely different level. No stretch also makes getting unsnagged much, much easier, and when that fails, the much higher strength:diameter ratio means you can probably straighten the hook without breaking the line. You can fish several seasons with it before needing to replace it, and when it's time to do that, just respool the line on backwards and you've got several more seasons on the other end of the line.

For jigging, braid makes a huge positive difference.