Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Take a Kid fishing - Fun Saturday - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 10-26-2020, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

Default Take a Kid fishing - Fun Saturday

Cool story to share with you all.

My son had a friend stay the night with us last weekend. He mentioned fishing before but never from a boat so I thought the timing would be perfect to troll for some stripers. I launched the boat and weather temp was around 40 F but the sun was out so it felt really nice.

Put the boat on 5 on the terrova to set our speed around 1.4-1.8 depending on wind and the direction we were headed. While doing this my son's friend said "I just want to catch a 6# fish" as I laughed I replied "that is a heck of a goal, why don't we just try to catch a few" he was cool with that and agreed.

I had the right side of the boat rigged with shallow diving cranks, rapala original minnows size 5-7, a blue/chrone husky jerk same size, and a xrap in yellow. The left side had three worm harnesses and all the baits were put all over the water column.

About 5 mins into our trolling and still first pass I look on the HDS and see a pod of fish around 20' down, I said "ok get ready" a rod loads up and I had it to my son's friend. He fights the fish for a pretty long time, and as it starts to tangle in the other poles (I accidently turned the directional gps lock off on the terrova). Well the fish was hooked well and we pulled the fish into the boat along with the other lines which was great. What a fish!

First fish of the day, 6lbs 9oz and was the biggest we would catch, we continued to fish and caught a bunch in about 2.5 hrs rotating who was reeling between the kids. Son's friend was pumped obviously as it was probably the biggest fish of his life, and first boating experience.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201024_154211629.MP.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	532.8 KB
ID:	322116   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201024_152004953.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	561.6 KB
ID:	322118   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201024_181728331.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	529.2 KB
ID:	322120  
Minn Kota Terrova #112
225 Optimax & 9.9 Mercs
Trollmaster Pro
Mo Dog running rack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2020, 08:54 AM
Keeper

Awesome!!!
Old 10-28-2020, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

Suuwwwwweeeeeeeeeeet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2020, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

Luv getting the youngsters on good fish! Its hard to beat the pull and fight of a healthy 4-10+ lb Wiper. That young man ought to be hooked for life now! Good job Pez!!
Old 11-05-2020, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

Appreciate all the positive replies guys, I forgot to mention that we recorded this fish catch also, so if you are interested take a look at the video. Excuse the poor camera work, turns out an 8-10 yr old's aren't the steadiest recording.

https://youtu.be/Gh6gjaA0wx8
Minn Kota Terrova #112
225 Optimax & 9.9 Mercs
Trollmaster Pro
Mo Dog running rack
Old 11-05-2020, 08:45 AM
Wallhanger

Nice fish and looks like a beautiful day!
Old 11-05-2020, 10:22 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezman38 View Post
Cool story to share with you all.

My son had a friend stay the night with us last weekend. He mentioned fishing before but never from a boat so I thought the timing would be perfect to troll for some stripers. I launched the boat and weather temp was around 40 F but the sun was out so it felt really nice.

Put the boat on 5 on the terrova to set our speed around 1.4-1.8 depending on wind and the direction we were headed. While doing this my son's friend said "I just want to catch a 6# fish" as I laughed I replied "that is a heck of a goal, why don't we just try to catch a few" he was cool with that and agreed.

I had the right side of the boat rigged with shallow diving cranks, rapala original minnows size 5-7, a blue/chrone husky jerk same size, and a xrap in yellow. The left side had three worm harnesses and all the baits were put all over the water column.

About 5 mins into our trolling and still first pass I look on the HDS and see a pod of fish around 20' down, I said "ok get ready" a rod loads up and I had it to my son's friend. He fights the fish for a pretty long time, and as it starts to tangle in the other poles (I accidently turned the directional gps lock off on the terrova). Well the fish was hooked well and we pulled the fish into the boat along with the other lines which was great. What a fish!

First fish of the day, 6lbs 9oz and was the biggest we would catch, we continued to fish and caught a bunch in about 2.5 hrs rotating who was reeling between the kids. Son's friend was pumped obviously as it was probably the biggest fish of his life, and first boating experience.
Looking awesome
Old 11-06-2020, 08:15 AM
Keeper

Good job! Way to pass the fever on.