Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Mistake Buying Humminbird Units? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 04-19-2013, 06:17 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotaxmandan View Post
This is exactly what I have been trying to tell guys that are wondering what kind of unit to buy. I have an I-pilot and would like the i-link, but give up my Lowrance HDS touch units yea right!!! Even if you go back to a Lowrance unit you probaby will not have your lake in HD you'll have to do some research. Thats about the dumbest thing bird has done is not being able to setup the screen the way you want it,which is an endless number of possibilites on a Lowrance HDS.

I'm not sure it was "dumb", it was just the way that HB chose to build their software. And in the broad view, it's a great idea - less options for manipulation mean it's a fast learn, with screens that can become familiar and are easy to teach/read. The ability to have instant access familiar screens is key in a market where a lot of your customer base just wants to FISH - not program a unit.

There's a lot of us out there now that are becoming more tech savvy, and the units are starting to show that power. I suspect with time the upper end units from HB will incorporate the ability to modify screen sets and options just like Lowrance, but I can't see that being an option in the 3/5/7 series.

'Eye Chaser -

I don't think you made a poor decision, you purchased a unit that had the features you wanted and were okay making concessions on other parts. You have a ton of options and control with the HB units, I still think you will be happy with them if you CHOSE to be happy with them. I know for me the key factor for choosing Lowrance was the ability to control the unit, as well as the 2D resolution. I love the HB down/side scanning though, and greatly appreciate the fast access buttons.

Maps/contour issues are just that - issues. There's a reason there are so many chips out there, and not all of them have the lakes you may want.

If HB gets around to changing their approach to user interface in the upper end units, as well as having the option to get rid of the info block (or at least make it transparent like the Lowrance info sets where you can position them anywhere/anysize), I'll move to HB.

My $.02
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2013, 07:32 PM
Wallhanger

Default I Stayed with Lowrance inspite of Ilink

For a couple of reasons I prefer to let the Terrova record where I decide to go.Some flats have a consistent depth for quite an area how does Ilink decide what part of that to cover ? With Lowrance ( and I have been as upset with them in the past as many of you have been) I am getting the best possible picture for of what is down there ( had bird got rid of them) being an older person I learned to look for a spot on the spot .I can not see how the gps telling me where to go based on depth alone , with a inferior map program ( I spend 6 months of the year fishing in the southwest, Lakemaster has nothing yet for that part of the country),thru a inferior sonar for more money is going to improve my fishing ? I am not picking a fight here .Am I missing something here other than the latest fad ? I wrestled with this for a while went with Ipilot and Lowrance on both boats , I will add that I positively hate the HDS10 Gen 2 it is too complicated ,I want to fish not play computer nerd , But I do love the touch HDS9 so as soon as I can the HDS10 is for sale and will be replaced with a HDS12 Touch.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:18 PM
Minnow

I think HBs idea of having a basic mode and advanced mode is a good one - for those that want simple and just go fishing, keep it simple, use the basic mode.

For those that have specific applications that work best with a specific setup or preference not available in "basic" mode, a real "advanced" mode would be appreciated.

In my opinion, the advanced mode does not offer the user the amount of flexibility it should. In other words, I'm not buying the argument that HB just wanted to keep it simple on their units. if that's the case, why offer "advanced" mode at all?
Old 04-20-2013, 10:00 PM
Minnow

Hmmm, lots to think about here..... If lowrance had the insight to do what Humminbird did (Ipilot link) in the first place, this topic would never had happened.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:49 AM
Wallhanger

Default May Of Had the Insight But Couldn't Tap Into The Technologyy

Not necessarily Lowrance didn't have the insight instead HB, Minnkota and Lake Master are owned by the same company Johnson Fishing.

Gives these companies a huge marketing edge over Lowrance, so why allow Lowrance to join the card game? If I recall there is bad blood between Lowrance and HB from a law suit years ago too.

Frankly, I am a fan of the features on both HB and Lowrance. I am keeping a eye on I-Link.

Now if a unit could read real sonar depths and tell the link to stay on that depth, now wouldn't that be real appealing. Then a connection or interphase adapter to all electric trolling motors not just Minnkota.
Drop the electric trolling motor, punch in the depth range for example 19'-20' dial in the speed and go fishing.

Was tried years ago didn't work, perhaps with the technology today a better possibility.

QUOTE=brn2fsh;1696921]Hmmm, lots to think about here..... If lowrance had the insight to do what Humminbird did (Ipilot link) in the first place, this topic would never had happened.[/QUOTE]
Old 04-21-2013, 07:08 AM
Wallhanger

I'm with Gary. Why can't the trolling motor read the bottom via sonar and follow a real depth contour? My old pinpoint did and it was awesome for years. When it finally broke, there was nothing similar to replace it with. Motor guide bought that company and the technology faded away. Why? I can't believe the patent hasn't expired by now.

I remember how much that pinpoint could help you fish a mudflat and stay right on the edge. The sonar units were pretty sweet too. Nothing like today, but better than most at the time.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:25 AM
Minnow

I had Pinpoint (Motorguide) trolling motor and networked depth finders prior to buying the HB and Terrova.

Pinpoint worked great - BUT, you couldn't use it on anything too steep or too flat - it just couldn't lock in on the depth.

I think using GPS will be better. GPS may not be as accurate as say following a depth (in theory), but in general, day in and day out in more situations, it will be better.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:30 AM
Minnow

oh, and the Pinpoint depth finders had pretty good options for setting them up how you want them. Did i mess with that whole lot? No, but I think it's important to be able to set up the unit how you like to see it.

I hope HB takes this to heart - and if they do, I hope that they include it in a firmware update...
Old 04-21-2013, 10:37 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'eye Chaser View Post
I need reinforcement that I didn’t make a mistake…

Comparing the new units from Humminbird - down imaging/side imaging/GPS and Lowrance – structure scan/GPS, what’s your favorite and why?

I bought HB units because of the contour track feature. – 998SI for the console, 788HD DI for the bow. Took them out for the first time this last weekend. I am very disappointed that there isn’t more flexibility in setting up your own combo views. It would be nice to be able to switch which display is on the left or right (and - HB actually sets them up differently on the 788 and the 998 – chart is on the right on the 998 and on the left on the 788, when in combination with sonar or DI). Also would be nice to change the digital display size, location and number of blocks.

I called HB, but they won’t listen – obviously. It’s understandable that they have their own plans and are busy.

The other issue is that the Lakemaster map(s) that I bought, doesn’t include the lake 2 miles from my house. So no contour track on the lake I fish the most.

Should I trade the HBs for a Lowrance 9 and 7?
If the way the units display and work - an interface issue, is going to distract you so much that you don't enjoy using them, you should certainly switch to something that does meet your requirements.

Both are excellent products, something as simple as an interface issue should not get in the way of enjoying a fishing trip.

Regarding the map chip...that problem is not going to change with a switch to Lowrance.

An evaluation of features that would be given up (iPilot Link, for instance, and 360°) vs. what you'd be gaining seems to be in order.

Last edited by Further North; 04-21-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:59 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by brn2fsh View Post
Hmmm, lots to think about here..... If lowrance had the insight to do what Humminbird did (Ipilot link) in the first place, this topic would never had happened.
This would be much more difficult for Lowrance to do - with Minn Kota and Humminbird being parts of the same company, it was easy....Lowrance would have to partner with a company they cannot control in any way...could lead to legal issues...and they've probably had enough of that.