Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Garmin vs 'Bird Mega Imaging - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 03-21-2018, 05:48 AM
Minnow

Default Garmin vs 'Bird Mega Imaging

Has anyone done any on the water comparison between Garmin (CHIRP) and Humminbird mega imaging units? Wondering if there is any difference in target separation, sensitivity to targets and actual clarity on the display.

Always wondered why sonar manufacturers never adopted high frequency transducer systems for us inland, fairly shallow water fisherman?! Great to have that option. How does it compare to CHIRP?

Also wondering if anyone knows why it costs so much to make a transducer? My impression is that it doesn't - do a search on transducers and there are "hundreds" of hits on transducers made in China. Are Humminbird, Garmin, Lowrance 'ducers made in China? Could be what the market can bare? big difference in quality?

Thinking about trading out my HB 998 si for a new unit. Any idea what the 998 be worth?

thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2018, 05:57 PM
Slot Fish

Not a very good comparison when it comes to imaging.....Humminbird has top-shelf and Garmin has, umm......not top-shelf.

The new Garmin HD may close the gap, though. We'll have to wait and see.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:26 AM
Minnow

Default CHIRP vs Megahertz Transducers and Target Separation

Sorry - I shouldn't have tried to compare. That wasn't really what i wanted to know. I am mostly interested in transducer performance between the CHIRP and megahertz units - and/but, software in the head unit does matter. Is target separation that much different between the two types of technology/transducers/software in terms of what you actually see on the display? Thanks for the reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2018, 08:08 AM
Keeper

You might get an unbiased review, but typically guys favor what they have. I am a Bird guy and have never seen a Garmin in action. You might go over to BBC and look under Humminbird screen shots section and the Garmin section and see/read and make your own comparison. I love the follow the contour feature on my Minn Kota so nothing but Birds for me. Some of the guys on BBC post actual screen shots they took vs. just Humminbird Promo clips. I would think the Garmin section has guys doing the same. FYI, BBC is Bass Boat Central. Great site for Humminbird info and Verado motor info.
Ches.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:14 AM
Wallhanger

The HB Mega units are also CHIRP.

Are you wanting to compare SI, DI or 2d or all ?

My only experience with Garmin was viewing them at sport shows.
I own a HB Helix 10 Mega SI/DI. It seems to me much clearer and I think easier to tell what I am seeing.
15 hp Suzuki tiller kicker with Itroll
101 lb Terrova I-pilot link
Humminbird Helix 10 mega si and 2 898s
Talon 12'
Lowrance HDS 5 gen2, used mostly for engine monitoring.

Free advice, and worth every penny.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:45 AM
Minnow

I understand CHIRP, but wondering if the 1.3 mHz vs the .8 mHz (800 kHz) frequency really makes that much difference in what you actually see on the display. Is it true that software and display resolution being equal, that the higher the frequency the more detail and the better the target separation? I would say so. If we agree on that, is there really that much difference in what we ACTUALLY see on the screen (down, side, 2D) between say a Garmin running an 800/455 CHIRP (or take your pick) and a HB running 1.3/? CHIRP? Any other brand sonars using a high frequency (megaHertz range) 'ducer?
Old 03-22-2018, 10:35 AM
Keeper

I just looked, BBC does have both a Garmin and Humminbird Image Interpretation section. You should be able to see all the examples you need to make a choice. Good Luck.
Ches.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:39 PM
Slot Fish

Garmin 800 doesnt even match other brands 455.

ive had 4 brands and the Mega made the sharpest images in water under 70ft.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:52 AM
Wallhanger

I had the Raymarine Axiom RV and played with the Garmin's quite a bit. Side vision on those units isn't in the same galaxy compared to what I've seen with my Mega 10". I've had my Mega 10 on the water one time and was blown away at how much better the side imaging is. I can use 455kHz non chirp on my Mega 10 and it's still way better. I am surprised the other companies are so far behind on side imaging. I haven't used Lowrance on the water.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:59 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjy View Post
I had the Raymarine Axiom RV and played with the Garmin's quite a bit. Side vision on those units isn't in the same galaxy compared to what I've seen with my Mega 10". I've had my Mega 10 on the water one time and was blown away at how much better the side imaging is. I can use 455kHz non chirp on my Mega 10 and it's still way better. I am surprised the other companies are so far behind on side imaging. I haven't used Lowrance on the water.
Lowrance imaging is pretty good

I never got a chance to try my 3d before selling it, but many say its really good on 455 and long distances.