Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Boat owners must read.... - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 02-21-2011, 06:23 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northland View Post
Why don't farmers use ethanol in their tractors?
Who says they don't?

If you looked, I expect you'd find a lot of gasoline-engine tractors are run on ethanol-blend fuels. Here's a link to a 2006 project to run tractors on 100% ethanol:
http://www.gov.sk.ca/news?newsId=337...0-d0cb4a3ec7f2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2011, 02:36 PM
Charter Member

Most of us are in the Mid West and from what I'm reading there are no problems with using E-10 gas in the mid west.
It's a known fact that colder salt water in New England ( Maine, New Hampshire, Mass.) does less corrosive damage to a boat than it does here in the much warmer salt water in Miami Beach. As the salt water gets warmer it becomes more aggressive.
In the summer time we have 5 solid months of 90 degree temperatures every day. Can the E-10 gas play more havoc on a 2 stroke carb marine engine when it's sitting at 90 degrees for so many months?
I used to change my Racor fuel filter once a year before E-10. Now I have to change it twice a year.
My mechanic says I'm not the only one here in Miami Beach changing my fuel filters more often.
Miami Vice
Old 02-21-2011, 05:39 PM
Wallhanger

I have not read all the details in this post, but here's the facts:

1. Ethanol fuels burn at lower temps, causing power loss, worse mileage and potential detonation...and all the potential problems that go along with that.
  2. Ethanol fuels eat fuel lines, gas tank liners, and other components in fuel systems.
  3. If you're going to run an ethanol blend, you need an inline filter, and you need to change it often.
  4. Ethanol is an environmental disaster. The acreage taken out of CRP and other programs that was benefiting wildlife in the plains states alone runs to the hundreds of thousands of acres...not to mention the damage to lakes, rivers and streams as runoff from croplands formerly fallow winds up in the water...and the ground water will take a hit too from all the crap they pour into and onto the soil to control weeds.
  5. Ethanol is a just one more political payoff to buy votes. In the words of Al Gore:
    Quote:
    It is not a good policy to have these massive subsidies for first-generation ethanol. One of the reasons I made that mistake is that I paid particular attention to the farmers in my home state of Tennessee and I had a certain fondness for the farmers in the state of Iowa because I was about to run for president.
    ...so he sold out the environment for votes.
  6. Current proven oil reserves at 1.533 trillion barrels...and they are finding more all the time...so what's the justification for ethanol?
Those of you with newer motors who aren't terribly concerned about another 5% ethanol and who are willing to eat the increased costs of replacing components...Bless your hearts.

As an owner of a 1989 Johnson 150 that I have no plans for replacing any time soon...Ethanol is a nightmare.

This is similar to the folks advocating banning lead shot for shotguns...why should I have to endure a 1500% increase to shoot a round of clays, or worse, have to spend thousands and thousands of dollars to replace perfectly functional shotguns with modern guns that I am not interested in owning...when there is almost no credible evidence suggesting it's even a problem?
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2011, 06:50 PM
Minnow

I think ethanol or not - regulations/mandates or not are somewhat of a different topic. As far as E-15 and boat motors I would like to see more of what the manufacturers say. They built my motor so I put a lot into what they say. As RD is ongoing I will try to follow my manufacturers advice as best I can.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:30 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Further North View Post
I have not read all the details in this post, but here's the facts:

1. Ethanol fuels burn at lower temps, causing power loss, worse mileage and potential detonation...and all the potential problems that go along with that.
  2. Ethanol fuels eat fuel lines, gas tank liners, and other components in fuel systems.
  3. If you're going to run an ethanol blend, you need an inline filter, and you need to change it often.
  4. Ethanol is an environmental disaster. The acreage taken out of CRP and other programs that was benefiting wildlife in the plains states alone runs to the hundreds of thousands of acres...not to mention the damage to lakes, rivers and streams as runoff from croplands formerly fallow winds up in the water...and the ground water will take a hit too from all the crap they pour into and onto the soil to control weeds.
  5. Ethanol is a just one more political payoff to buy votes. In the words of Al Gore: ...so he sold out the environment for votes.
  6. Current proven oil reserves at 1.533 trillion barrels...and they are finding more all the time...so what's the justification for ethanol?
Those of you with newer motors who aren't terribly concerned about another 5% ethanol and who are willing to eat the increased costs of replacing components...Bless your hearts.

As an owner of a 1989 Johnson 150 that I have no plans for replacing any time soon...Ethanol is a nightmare.

This is similar to the folks advocating banning lead shot for shotguns...why should I have to endure a 1500% increase to shoot a round of clays, or worse, have to spend thousands and thousands of dollars to replace perfectly functional shotguns with modern guns that I am not interested in owning...when there is almost no credible evidence suggesting it's even a problem?

Also, remember what happened during prohibition? The govt went to great lengths to prevent the making and "running" of whiskey (ethanol). Now, every gallon is subsidized by the federal govt, and they sell it at the pump for use in internal combustion engines.

The idea that this reduces our dependence on foreign oil is crazy. I've checked my mileage both using whiskey blend and with regular gasoline. My mileage goes down drastically using the whiskey blend, thus using more gasoline too. To my estimation, we're depening our dependence on foreign oil, by using the whiskey blend. --Just my cheap $.02

Paul
Old 02-25-2011, 07:42 PM
Minnow

Whiskey - Ethanol What the f@$#? What are you talking about? Your not even close - give it up!! Every gallon is subsidized??? What the f@$#??? Cheap $.02??? Save it to by a clue!!! Ought to have to pass an IQ test to post!!!! I geuss anyone can shoot verbal diarhea!!!
Old 02-26-2011, 01:09 PM
Wallhanger

Fishintheboat-WOW a little strong on the last post. Oh and if you didn't pay attention in history Whiskey-ethanol is his reference to all the corn liquor that was being produced illegally during prohibiton. Thats right liquor (alcohol) made out of corn. Oh and don't question others IQ when you can't spell guess.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:25 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hempbake1 View Post
Oh and don't question others IQ when you can't spell guess.
...among the other misspelled words in his post...

Last edited by yarcraft91; 02-26-2011 at 02:29 PM.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:43 PM
Wallhanger

Yep, missed a few other misspelled words in that post, got side tracked by the ranting.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:09 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by hempbake1 View Post
Fishintheboat-WOW a little strong on the last post. Oh and if you didn't pay attention in history Whiskey-ethanol is his reference to all the corn liquor that was being produced illegally during prohibiton. Thats right liquor (alcohol) made out of corn. Oh and don't question others IQ when you can't spell guess.
Sorry bout the post!!! I just think there are a lot of "mis-info." out there. Frustrates me when info is so sided one way or the other. Old saying "there's her side, his side, then the truth." I should try to be part of solution not part of the problem.!! Sorry again - I understand his point. I usually can spell just can't type! I'll try to be may helpful not hurtful. THANKS