Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
VHF Radios - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 01-30-2020, 10:00 AM
Minnow

Last chance, exactly why and what I did!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2020, 12:21 PM
Minnow

I purchased a Garmin 210, Shakespeare 5226 8’, 4187 SS ratchet mount and a 4187 cable outlet. Thanks for your advices guys I should be getting them today.
I will start another post about Bluewater LED lights if they are worth it.
Old 01-30-2020, 05:06 PM
Minnow

Default VHF is a must for me

A lot of my boating experience is at the NC coast so my bay boat has an in-dash and a hand held. And as has already been mentioned, at the coast everyone monitors channel 16 so if you need help someone will hear you. On my home lake, Boat US monitors 16 in case I have an issue or need a tow. Likely not too many boaters on my lake have VHF. Still, I feel better having it on board.
Old 01-31-2020, 06:39 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northlander View Post
I purchased a Garmin 210, Shakespeare 5226 8’, 4187 SS ratchet mount and a 4187 cable outlet. Thanks for your advices guys I should be getting them today.
I will start another post about Bluewater LED lights if they are worth it.
Excellent antenna choice.

Here is another safety suggestion I practice. When fishing, I throw out a drift line, around a 20-foot length of rope secured to a cleat. Anyone that has taken a swim out in the open waters knows how quickly the boat drifts away from you.
Old 06-21-2020, 08:00 AM
Slot Fish

I have a standard horizon radio that failed and I need a new one. I have an 8foot white antenna that's already installed. I use my boat strictly in salt water and sometimes go pretty far out. I fo have a kicker but the radio is nice back up especially when the fog can roll in very quickly. I'm going to upgrade now to a Simrad rs35 or an rs40 with AIS. I dont have any NEMA network in the boat now but from what I understand I can just get a nema 2K cable and go from the new radio right to my simrad chaet plotter and see other vessels that are using AIS. Is the coast guard always transmitting their AIS location? I'm not 100% sure how it all works because it would be nice to overlay the AIS onto the plotter.
Old 06-22-2020, 05:50 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1875 View Post
I have a standard horizon radio that failed and I need a new one. I have an 8foot white antenna that's already installed. I use my boat strictly in salt water and sometimes go pretty far out. I fo have a kicker but the radio is nice back up especially when the fog can roll in very quickly. I'm going to upgrade now to a Simrad rs35 or an rs40 with AIS. I dont have any NEMA network in the boat now but from what I understand I can just get a nema 2K cable and go from the new radio right to my simrad chaet plotter and see other vessels that are using AIS. Is the coast guard always transmitting their AIS location? I'm not 100% sure how it all works because it would be nice to overlay the AIS onto the plotter.
For NMEA2K you will need the full network in place, can't just run a wire from the radio to the chart plotter. So you will need 3 T's, 1 power cord, 2 drop cables and 2 terminators to hook up 1 radio to 1 chart plotter.

NMEA0183 can be wired direct, but is an old standard and I'm not sure if the new radios will work with NMEA0183.
Minn-Kota Terrova 112 w/ IPilot
Lowrance Ti2 12" Console
Lowrance Ti2 9" Bow
Lowrance Point 1
Standard Horizon GX2350S
Shakespeare QC-8 Antenna
Old 06-22-2020, 10:31 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinghappy View Post
Quote:
For NMEA2K you will need the full network in place, can't just run a wire from the radio to the chart plotter. So you will need 3 T's, 1 power cord, 2 drop cables and 2 terminators to hook up 1 radio to 1 chart plotter.

NMEA0183 can be wired direct, but is an old standard and I'm not sure if the new radios will work with NMEA0183.
Well that's alot more expensive than I thought it was going to be. I'm in Canada where everything is hard to get and very expensive. Maybe I'll put this one off for a bit.
Old 06-22-2020, 11:58 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Well that's alot more expensive than I thought it was going to be. I'm in Canada where everything is hard to get and very expensive. Maybe I'll put this one off for a bit.
The linked items would be what you would need. So yeah, about $183 CAD.

https://www.amazon.ca/NMEA-Network-S.../dp/B002BBFE98

https://www.amazon.ca/Ancor-Marine-G...49XTF6P04SAQ7D

https://www.amazon.ca/Micro-C-T-Conn...ronics&sr=1-17
Minn-Kota Terrova 112 w/ IPilot
Lowrance Ti2 12" Console
Lowrance Ti2 9" Bow
Lowrance Point 1
Standard Horizon GX2350S
Shakespeare QC-8 Antenna