Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Re Wiring charging system - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 11-01-2019, 07:07 PM
Minnow

Default Re Wiring charging system

Has anyone re wired their motors charging system with heavier gauge wire?

I’ve relocated the starting battery in my 1875 Pro-guide to the compartment that’s under the rod handles in the rod locker, the weight balance has helped but I did it with what I had on hand in the garage (I can’t remember the gauge but it was the same as the motor luckily)

I did not take into consideration the voltage drop, especially with the added loss going going back to the power steering pump, I’ve had a couple issues already so now I’m looking to reword with heavier gauge.

I’d really like to not have any joins or splices, less potential problems that way

Any tips or input Or links I haven’t found yet welcomed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2019, 07:54 PM
Wallhanger

Do you know the length of the wire? This will necessary to determine sizing.

These guys will make custom cables with the ends attached. Fast delivery when I re wired my trolling motor to 6g wire.

http://www.genuinedealz.com/marine-wire
Old 11-02-2019, 01:24 AM
Charter Member

These numbers are from another approved source:

4 gauge wire is good for 70 amps
2 gauge wire is good for 95 amps
1 gauge wire is good for 110 amps
1/0 gauge wire is good for 125 amps.

Remember any of these cables will carry much more current. However, it will come at the expense of both additional heat, as well as a larger voltage drop.

So, the main thing that one worries about - when extending their motor to battery wiring is the voltage drop that happens when the motor is started. i.e. motor starting current puts the largest load on a battery with respect to any motor normal battery service life.

So, a big motor uses a larger starter that requires more current from the battery and its ensuing possible loss of voltage to the motor under a heavy starting load on a cold cold morning when everything is stiff.

The rest of the electrical load being placed on the battery and its wiring is way down the totem pole of electrical loading.

But, the typical outboard motor will have a battery wire ranging in size from 4 gauge to 1/0 gauge wire. The larger the motor with its larger starter requiring more starting current from the battery and its supply wires.

If it were my rig, and assuming that you have a motor of 150hp or more - since I didn't see any mention of a motor size in your original posting - I would go with either a size 1 or 1/0 wire size for the extended battery to motor run.

Take care
Sponsored Links
Advertisement