Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Pretty darned quiet here... - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Home Grown Tackle > HGT General Discussion

Old 12-04-2020, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

Default Pretty darned quiet here...

Am I the only one who poured plastic and lead jigs last winter and didn't get to use them this year because of the border?

I'm fighting the urge to start pouring (anything!!), but I need nothing! "New stock" is still where I left it last winter awaiting the first trip north.

Have a bunch of spinner rigs tied that I'm not inclined to like that I might cannibalize and retie into something I like better. Then again in the past my wife has chosen to use rigs that I purposely ignore and spank me. She doesn't over think it like many of us do.

Long winter ahead...

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2020, 07:19 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post
Am I the only one who poured plastic and lead jigs last winter and didn't get to use them this year because of the border?

I'm fighting the urge to start pouring (anything!!), but I need nothing! "New stock" is still where I left it last winter awaiting the first trip north.

Have a bunch of spinner rigs tied that I'm not inclined to like that I might cannibalize and retie into something I like better. Then again in the past my wife has chosen to use rigs that I purposely ignore and spank me. She doesn't over think it like many of us do.

Long winter ahead...

Pooch
You could always sell me some!
Humminbird Helix G2 x 1
Talon
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes
Old 12-05-2020, 07:18 AM
Charter Member

Ya, long winter acoming. After cataract surgery, I have started making rods again, for grandkids, et al.

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2020, 07:29 AM
Slot Fish

I am in a similar situation, most of the jigs, rigs and cranks from last winter remain untouched. I have never poured plastics though and am thinking this may be the year to start. Do any of you have any recommendations on how to get started without breaking the bank or buying stuff I don't need?
Thanks in advance!
Old 12-05-2020, 07:39 AM
Wallhanger

My biggest concern is that period when the soft water is too hard and the hard water is too soft. Right now, I'm still enjoying the soft water. But I do miss the trips north, like many others. I took some of the money I didn't spend to upgrade my trolling motor and expand my over-sized supply of tackle. The next item on my agenda is servicing rods and reels.
Old 12-06-2020, 08:08 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly boat View Post
I am in a similar situation, most of the jigs, rigs and cranks from last winter remain untouched. I have never poured plastics though and am thinking this may be the year to start. Do any of you have any recommendations on how to get started without breaking the bank or buying stuff I don't need?
Thanks in advance!
Check out custombaits.com, that is the forums part of do-it molds.

Loads of information, read through the forums and ask questions. The guys there are very knowledgeable and more than willing to answer all your questions to help you get started.