Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
What's everyone's favorite line for live bait spinner rigs these days? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Home Grown Tackle > HGT General Discussion

Old 03-04-2020, 08:58 AM
Wallhanger

Default What's everyone's favorite line for live bait spinner rigs these days?

I used to enjoy making my own spinner rigs for nightcrawler and minnow fishing for walleye, and now that I'm getting back into fishing in a big way after a long hiatus (I even ordered my first boat a couple of weeks ago! ), I've decided to resume this pastime, too.

- What's your favorite line, and in what lb test, for such purpose?

-
What knot(s) do you find work especially well with that line?

Yes, I know there are threads on this subject in the archives and I have checked them out (and I'm also familiar with this excellent article on making spinner rigs: https://fishingoutposts.com/how-to-t...inner-harness/), but I figure it's worth a fresh look at least every 5 or 10 years...

Hoping lots of folks will take the time to chime in with their answers, and thankful to everyone who does!

Gerry

Last edited by gbin; 03-04-2020 at 09:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2020, 09:13 AM
Keeper

I always used Trilene XL 10lb test.
Old 03-04-2020, 09:15 AM
Keeper

Mono 10-12 pounds, Trilene in particular but just because bulk spools were on sale at the time. I experimented with flourocarbon a few years back. It didn’t seem to fool more fish with it’s transparency (one side of the boat running mono, other side floro) and had more memory. Running fiberglass poles and power pro as a mainline, the added stretch might be a good thing if it’s discernible at all. Just my two cents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2020, 08:25 AM
Minnow

I've been using 14lb Trilene for a few years with no complaints. This year i've switched this new batch over to 14lb fluorocarbon. Just for some added durability. My home lake is pretty dang toothy.
Old 03-05-2020, 09:33 AM
Wallhanger

Fluro or steel...ditto on teeth.
Old 03-05-2020, 01:39 PM
Wallhanger

Anybody out there used/using P-Line CFX fluorocarbon leader for their live bait spinner rigs? How did it work/is it working for you?

Thinking I'm going to give it a try, myself. Haven't decided in what lb test(s), yet.

Gerry
Old 03-06-2020, 05:34 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbin View Post
Anybody out there used/using P-Line CFX fluorocarbon leader for their live bait spinner rigs? How did it work/is it working for you?

Thinking I'm going to give it a try, myself. Haven't decided in what lb test(s), yet.

Gerry
I have to be honest here. I have tried Fluorocarbon in all sorts of scenarios.I have never seen the advantage to spending more for Fluorocarbon leader than regular Fluoro line. I tie ALOT of rigs over the course of a year and just use cheap generic Fluorocarbon in 14lbs for my rigs. 25lb for my leaders.
Old 03-06-2020, 05:39 AM
Wallhanger

Plain ‘Ol Red Cajun 12 lb mono. Holds up well enough for my purposes without breaking the bank. Got out for the first time in a quite a while last week and we ended up catching spotted Bass on homemade slow death rigs...go figure

PjShorthorn
Old 03-06-2020, 08:58 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waba View Post
I have to be honest here. I have tried Fluorocarbon in all sorts of scenarios.I have never seen the advantage to spending more for Fluorocarbon leader than regular Fluoro line. I tie ALOT of rigs over the course of a year and just use cheap generic Fluorocarbon in 14lbs for my rigs. 25lb for my leaders.
It's not clear to me, Waba. You HAVE tried P-Line CFX but decided it wasn't worth the additional money they charge for leader line? Or you HAVEN'T tried it and are just making a general statement that you think should apply to it?

I'm not arguing with you about anything; I just like to know the basis on which people are speaking.

Gerry
Old 03-06-2020, 09:04 AM
Minnow

NO I have not tried that P-line that I can recall. My post was just to relay that in my experience I have never noticed any advantage to fishing Fluorocarbon leader as compared to simply using regular Fluorocarbon line.