Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Lake Sharpe - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Members Fishing Reports

Old 06-01-2014, 08:05 PM
Wallhanger

Default Lake Sharpe

Just decided that I am going to be brave. Going to take off tomorrow night and head to Lake Sharpe. My 8 year old daughter (B-Day tomorrow), my 4 year daughter, and I. Have never taken both of them without having mom or grandpa along. Anyway my So Dak fishing time is limited so I said to heck with it, lets go get some fishin in!
Hummibird 898
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2014, 09:13 PM
Wallhanger

Good luck! Lets hear a fishing report
Old 06-02-2014, 05:56 AM
Keeper

I did the same thing about this time last year. I tented for 4 days at west bend with my 8 and 6 yo kids, we had a blast, one of my favorite trips ever. Fishing was great for walleyes, caught some smallies as well. My kids really grew up on that trip not having mom along, she was home with the baby. I caught about 5 fish that trip, they caught dozens and have told me all about it ever since. I have been looking forward to going back since we left. We are headed out to west bend again later this week with mom and the 1 year old so that may make it is little more interesting. Luckily the little one loves to be outside and she can say "boat" and "fish" so we are off to a good start. Let us know how the fishing is. Have fun.

Last edited by A & W Dad; 06-02-2014 at 05:58 AM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2014, 05:57 AM
Wallhanger

That's pretty brave. I remember my kids when they were that ages or so melting their names onto the boat carpet with crayons. It was funnier than heck. I got some funny memories, you will make some too.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:24 PM
Wallhanger

Default Update

Well we could have done better weather wise...left town last night at 6pm got to the hotel at 11pm (long stop at Cabelas and Walmart in Mitchell). Woke up to see the rain and wind that was supposed to start around 1pm was now starting at 8:30am. Left the hotel and drove to Lower Brule, decided to put out of Iron Nation instead of Jiggs. The road from Lower Brule to Iron Nation is a giant POS. It wasn't nearly that bad last summer! It was 35mph or your boat might bounce off the trailer bad. Anyway we got on the water a little before and right on cue the light winds that were predicted changed right at 8:30, Rain started about 9. My girls were rock stars...real rockstars. They toughed it out till 11:30 when they said Dad can we go home now? Started with some elite bait and within minutes the youngest nails a skipjack (fun for her), they each catch a couple of shorts, and I am as busy as I thought I would be. Baiting hooks, taking fish off, getting the potty bucket, getting snacks and drinks, and having fun even though very difficult to fish in that much wind. Decided to go troll some plugs in a more shelter area (this was mistake) as my dad in another boat followed me down river and did fairly well on live bait. Anyway we caught some more on plugs, all but one was short. Lost two plugs, two snap weights, and all of this was in a driving rain. lol
The boat ride back to dock (for those familiar with the area, we ran down so that if we looked up the bend and on the other side of the river we could see West Bend, we were fishing the high bluffs) was a outstanding one for sure. Still amazed at how well that little rebel handles that stuff. I could run 16 to 18 mph but knew I had to take an angle to cross the river, so I had to go through stumpsville (I grew up fishing here so I remember what it looked like before they snapped off). We made it back and pulled some more plugs around the mouth and into the creek. Caught some more shorts and then the girls said enough. The dock was nearly under water so instead of tying the boat and risking it actually going on the dock, the girls and I got out at the dock, then I used the terrova and spot locked it not too far from the dock. I was nervous as I have never tried this before but it worked like a charm! I was very happy, made loading the boat much easier. One bummer was when I swung around to drive the boat up on the trailer I slightly scratched one blade on my prop. This of course was my fault for not backing up and instead swinging the butt end around. I was happy to see it just a scuff on the edge of one blade. WHEW.
Anyway despite crappy weather the girls and I tackled a rough day and had fun. Oh and got some fish that would figure out to be about $800 to $1000 a pound

Oh one final thing we were catching shorts and the one 17.5 incher, the fish looked rather stressed. Cigars so to speak...very far from fat and healthy.
Hummibird 898
Old 06-04-2014, 10:37 AM
Wallhanger

Default Another update

Just got off the phone with my dad. He has found some better fish further down the lake. Still catching tons of shorts but the fish do not seem nearly as stressed. I suppose having much better weather doesn't hurt. He he is fishing where the waves just battered the shoreline yesterday. Fishing 4 to 6 feet of water. Just fish after fish after fish. I talked to him for maybe 5 mins and they boated 7 fish but only one was a keeper. Anyway I wanted to update about the fish not looking as stressed back down around the bend.
Hummibird 898