Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Auto pilot - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 04-23-2021, 07:17 PM
Keeper

Default Auto pilot

Looking to possibly upgrade my system by adding auto pilot to my set up. I have a Lowrance 12 Live, a 250 Yamaha Sho with hydraulic steering, and a 9.9 kicker tied together by tie bar. Kicker has separate controls. I have no experience with this product so I am looking for recommendations for a system to use with the kicker motor. I don't know if it is better to uncouple the tie bar, and have a stand alone system to control the kicker. I also have the I Troll trolling system to contend with for this system. Any recommendations for this system would be appreciated and I would like to have anyone with real experience comment how they use or like their system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2021, 07:22 PM
Wallhanger

Lowrance Nac-1 will be perfect. It will use the hydraulic steering system of your Yamaha and it will turn both motor.
I have one for 4 years now and I'm more then happy
Old 04-23-2021, 07:26 PM
Keeper

Thank you for the prompt response. Does the system turn quickly enough to have control in windy or choppy conditions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2021, 07:30 PM
Keeper

Are there any other components other than the Nac-1 module to operate the system?
Old 04-23-2021, 07:52 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergiefish View Post
Thank you for the prompt response. Does the system turn quickly enough to have control in windy or choppy conditions?
I use it for trolling 98% of the time and I don't have any problem

Quote:
Are there any other components other than the Nac-1 module to operate the system?
Nac-1 comes complete with all the parts
Just go on the Lowrance website and look at this one: 000-11750-001 it comes with a Precision-9 antenna instead of the Point-1 AP

Last edited by Andre (wallyandre); 04-23-2021 at 07:57 PM.
Old 04-24-2021, 05:35 AM
Minnow

I had the Garmin TR-1 just replaced it with a Garmin Reactor 40 Kicker. Install was a breeze, Remote is great, very quiet. Had to tuned it not to be too active, find it much more responsive and keeps a better heading than the TR-1.
Old 04-24-2021, 06:00 AM
Wallhanger

A very short video with the autopilot in action, trolling with some wind and wave. It's trough a Simrad but it's the same has a Lowrance.
The thing that I really like the control of the ap on the touch screen.
Very easy to install and everything you need is in the kit. The only thing that could be challenging is the bleeding of the hydraulic system but just take your time.
Short video: https://youtu.be/BOiIsDbwOE4
Old 04-24-2021, 07:50 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinP View Post
I had the Garmin TR-1 just replaced it with a Garmin Reactor 40 Kicker. Install was a breeze, Remote is great, very quiet. Had to tuned it not to be too active, find it much more responsive and keeps a better heading than the TR-1.
Would this unit be a stand alone system and not use the Lowrance or current speed control system? Would the tie bar be removed and the kicker be independent of the 250 motor?
Old 04-24-2021, 10:17 AM
Wallhanger

I have the garmin reactor kicker setup. It works great with a tiller setup. You might have issues with a remote control kicker. As that causes the kicker to have more resistance when turning. Make sure you remove the friction adjustment side to side system off the motor. It installs on the tilt tube on the kicker motor. No tie bar needed. It also comes with its own throttle control. Unless you have certain garmin fishfinders. You need the little garmin display. They sell it either way. I do have a uncle norms dolphin plate mounted on my kicker. It gives you more keel control for steering. Since you do not have the main motor in the water for steering.
Old 04-24-2021, 11:56 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Would this unit be a stand alone system and not use the Lowrance or current speed control system? Would the tie bar be removed and the kicker be independent of the 250 motor?

My 15HP Pro Kicker is a remote, works just fine. The only problem is they do not supply the parts for the linkage for the Carb model, only the fuel injected 9.9HP. I had the same problem with the TR-1, ordered the linkage from Pro Troll. Then there was a bracket in the kit that worked good for the control cable, I used a small piece of 100lb Power pro to pull the throttle actuator, works perfect. It is stand alone does not connect to your Lowrance. If you have a Garmin it will work with that unit and you buy the kit without the GHC control head. I have all Hummingbird so I got the kit with the GHC control head. If you need further explanation on the linkage PM me and I can walk you through it.